Proving a trigonometric identity

In summary, the conversation is asking how to prove an identity involving cosines. The person asking has already attempted to manipulate the given expressions using trigonometric identities and is looking for guidance on how to proceed. They have been advised to expand the expressions and equate coefficients in order to prove the identity.
maxkor
How prove $\cos\frac{8\pi}{35}+\cos\frac{12\pi}{35}+\cos\frac{18\pi}{35}=\frac{1}{2}\cdot\left(\cos\frac{\pi}{5}+\sqrt7\cdot\sin\frac{\pi}{5}\right)$?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have retitled the thread, since a title of "trig" in our Trigonometry forum tells our readers no more that they would already surmise. A good thread title briefly describes the question being asked.

Can you post what you have tried so far so our helpers know where you are stuck, and won't offer suggestions that you may have already tried?

$\cos \frac{12\pi}{35}=\cos( \frac{\pi}{5}+ \frac{\pi}{7})=\cos \frac{\pi}{5} \cdot \cos \frac{\pi}{7}-\sin \frac{\pi}{5} \cdot \sin \frac{\pi}{7}$$\cos \frac{8\pi}{35}=\cos( -\frac{\pi}{5}+ \frac{3\pi}{7})=\cos \frac{\pi}{5} \cdot \cos \frac{3\pi}{7}+\sin \frac{\pi}{5} \cdot \sin \frac{3\pi}{7}$$\cos \frac{18\pi}{35}=-\cos( \frac{\pi}{5}+ \frac{2\pi}{7})=-\cos \frac{\pi}{5} \cdot \cos \frac{2\pi}{7}+\sin \frac{\pi}{5} \cdot \sin \frac{2\pi}{7}$

what next?

I believe you want instead:

\(\displaystyle \cos\left(\frac{18\pi}{35}\right)=\cos\left(-\frac{\pi}{5}+\frac{5\pi}{7}\right)\)

Once you expand that like your first two equations, then add and factor on the two trig. expressions on the right side of the identity you are given to prove. Then you will have two identities resulting from equating the coefficients you must prove.

I see now I missed the negative sign, and indeed:

\(\displaystyle \cos\left(\frac{18\pi}{35}\right)=-\cos\left(\frac{17\pi}{35}\right)\)

So, add what you have, and factor as I suggested above. :D

Related to Proving a trigonometric identity

1. How do I know if a trigonometric identity is true?

To prove that a trigonometric identity is true, you need to use mathematical manipulations and logical reasoning to show that both sides of the equation are equal. This can be done by simplifying and manipulating one side of the equation until it is identical to the other side.

2. What are some common strategies for proving trigonometric identities?

Some common strategies include using basic trigonometric identities, factoring, using reciprocal identities, and converting trigonometric functions to their equivalent forms. It is also important to be familiar with the properties of trigonometric functions, such as their periodicity and symmetries.

3. Can I use a calculator to prove a trigonometric identity?

No, using a calculator to prove a trigonometric identity defeats the purpose of understanding the concept behind the identity. You should use mathematical manipulations and logical reasoning to prove the identity instead of relying on a calculator.

4. How do I approach a complicated trigonometric identity?

Start by simplifying one side of the equation using basic identities and properties. If the identity involves multiple trigonometric functions, try to convert them to their equivalent forms. You may also need to use algebraic manipulations and factoring to simplify the equation further. Remember to keep both sides of the equation equal at all times.

5. What are some tips for successfully proving a trigonometric identity?

It is important to be familiar with the basic trigonometric identities and their properties. Make sure to show all the steps of your work and explain each step clearly. Don't be afraid to try different approaches and don't give up if you get stuck. Remember to always keep both sides of the equation equal and avoid using a calculator.