Proving a Trigonometric equality

In summary, the conversation involves a problem where real numbers $a, b, c$ satisfy certain equations and the goal is to prove another equation. One member has attempted to solve it but has not been successful, so they have turned to the forum for help. Another member has provided a solution using a trick they learned from the forum, ultimately proving that the desired equation holds.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

I have found this problem quite interesting to me and hence I have spent some time on it but all of my attempts to prove it went down the drain.

I have no choice but posting it here, hoping to gain some insight from the members of the forum on how to prove this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Problem:

Suppose that real numbers $a, b, c$ satisfy

$\dfrac{\cos a+\cos b+\cos c}{\cos(a+b+c)}=\dfrac{\sin a+\sin b+\sin c}{\sin(a+b+c)}=p$

Prove that $\cos(a+b)+\cos(b+c)+\cos(a+c)=p$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Hi MHB,

I have found this problem quite interesting to me and hence I have spent some time on it but all of my attempts to prove it went down the drain.

I have no choice but posting it here, hoping to gain some insight from the members of the forum on how to prove this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Problem:

$\dfrac{\cos a+\cos b+\cos c}{\cos(a+b+c)}=\dfrac{\sin a+\sin b+\sin c}{\sin(a+b+c)}=p$

Hello.

But the question is: always is fulfilled?:

[tex]\cos(a+b)+\cos(b+c)+\cos(a+c)=p[/tex]

, or what can there be a solution?.

I have come to a conclusion in favour of the second question.

Regards.

anemone said:

I will use a trick that I learned from this forum: if $\dfrac xy = \dfrac zw = p$ then also $\dfrac{\lambda x + \mu z}{\lambda y + \mu w} = p$ for any choice of $\lambda$ and $\mu$.

Given $\dfrac{\cos a+\cos b+\cos c}{\cos(a+b+c)}=\dfrac{\sin a+\sin b+\sin c}{\sin(a+b+c)}=p$, apply that trick with $\lambda = \cos c$ and $\mu = \sin c$, to get $$p = \frac{\cos c(\cos a+\cos b+\cos c) + \sin c(\sin a+\sin b+\sin c)}{\cos c\cos(a+b+c) + \sin c\sin(a+b+c)} = \frac{\cos(c-a) + \cos(c-b) + 1}{\cos(a+b)}.$$ Similarly, using $\lambda = \sin c$ and $\mu = -\cos c$, you get $$p = \frac{\sin c(\cos a+\cos b+\cos c) - \cos c(\sin a+\sin b+\sin c)}{\sin c\cos(a+b+c) - \cos c\sin(a+b+c)} = \frac{\sin(c-a) + \sin(c-b)}{-\sin(a+b)}.$$ Thus $$\frac{\cos(c-a) + \cos(c-b) + 1}{\cos(a+b)} = \frac{\sin(c-a) + \sin(c-b)}{-\sin(a+b)} = p.$$ Now apply the trick again, to that expression, this time with $\lambda = \cos(a+b)$ and $\mu = -\sin(a+b)$: $$\begin{aligned} p &= \frac{\cos(a+b)\bigl(\cos(c-a) + \cos(c-b) + 1\bigr) - \sin(a+b)\bigl(\sin(c-a) + \sin(c-b)\bigr)}{\cos^2(a+b) + \sin^2(a+b)} \\ &= \frac{\cos(b+c) + \cos(a+c) + \cos(a+b)}{1}. \end{aligned}$$ Therefore $\cos(b+c) + \cos(a+c) + \cos(a+b) = p$.

Opalg said:
I will use a trick that I learned from this forum: if $\dfrac xy = \dfrac zw = p$ then also $\dfrac{\lambda x + \mu z}{\lambda y + \mu w} = p$ for any choice of $\lambda$ and $\mu$.

Given $\dfrac{\cos a+\cos b+\cos c}{\cos(a+b+c)}=\dfrac{\sin a+\sin b+\sin c}{\sin(a+b+c)}=p$, apply that trick with $\lambda = \cos c$ and $\mu = \sin c$, to get $$p = \frac{\cos c(\cos a+\cos b+\cos c) + \sin c(\sin a+\sin b+\sin c)}{\cos c\cos(a+b+c) + \sin c\sin(a+b+c)} = \frac{\cos(c-a) + \cos(c-b) + 1}{\cos(a+b)}.$$ Similarly, using $\lambda = \sin c$ and $\mu = -\cos c$, you get $$p = \frac{\sin c(\cos a+\cos b+\cos c) - \cos c(\sin a+\sin b+\sin c)}{\sin c\cos(a+b+c) - \cos c\sin(a+b+c)} = \frac{\sin(c-a) + \sin(c-b)}{-\sin(a+b)}.$$ Thus $$\frac{\cos(c-a) + \cos(c-b) + 1}{\cos(a+b)} = \frac{\sin(c-a) + \sin(c-b)}{-\sin(a+b)} = p.$$ Now apply the trick again, to that expression, this time with $\lambda = \cos(a+b)$ and $\mu = -\sin(a+b)$: $$ p = \frac{\cos(a+b)\bigl(\cos(c-a) + \cos(c-b) + 1\bigr) - \sin(a+b)\bigl(\sin(c-a) + \sin(c-b)\bigr)}{\cos^2(a+b) + \sin^2(a+b)} = \frac{\cos(b+c) + \cos(a+c) + \cos(a+b)}{1}.$$ Therefore $\cos(b+c) + \cos(a+c) + \cos(a+b) = p$.

Hello.

Yes, but:

[tex]cos \ a+cos \ b+cos \ c=p \ cos \ (a+b+c)[/tex]

[tex]sin \ a+sin \ b+sin \ c=p \ sin \ (a+b+c)[/tex]

[tex]p^2 \ cos^2(a+b+c)=cos^2a+cos^2b+cos^2c+2cos a \ cos b+2cos a \ cos c+2cos b \ cos c[/tex], (*)

[tex]p^2 \ sin^2(a+b+c)=sin^2a+sin^2b+sin^2c+2sin a \ sin b+2sin a \ sin c+2sin b \ sin c[/tex], (**)

I'm add (*) and (**)

[tex]p^2=3+2cos a \ cos b+2cos a \ cos c+2cos b \ cos c+2sin a \ sin b+2sin a \ sin c+2sin b \ sin c[/tex]

[tex]p^2=3+4\cos a \cos b+4\cos a \cos c+4\cos b \cos c+2\cos (a+b)+2\cos (a+c)+2\cos (b+c)[/tex]We substitute, to see if it can meet that:

[tex]\cos(b+c) + \cos(a+c) + \cos(a+b) = p[/tex]

[tex]2p=2 \cos(b+c) +2 \cos(a+c) +2 \cos(a+b)[/tex]

[tex]p^2-2p-4(\cos a \cos b+\cos a \cos c+\cos b \cos c)-3=0[/tex]

[tex]p=-1 \pm \sqrt{1+\cos a \cos b+\cos a \cos c+\cos b \cos c}[/tex]

Could we discard the negative outcome?:confused:

Regards.

Opalg said:

Given $\dfrac{\cos a+\cos b+\cos c}{\cos(a+b+c)}=\dfrac{\sin a+\sin b+\sin c}{\sin(a+b+c)}=p$, apply that trick with $\lambda = \cos c$ and $\mu = \sin c$, to get $$p = \frac{\cos c(\cos a+\cos b+\cos c) + \sin c(\sin a+\sin b+\sin c)}{\cos c\cos(a+b+c) + \sin c\sin(a+b+c)} = \frac{\cos(c-a) + \cos(c-b) + 1}{\cos(a+b)}.$$ Similarly, using $\lambda = \sin c$ and $\mu = -\cos c$, you get $$p = \frac{\sin c(\cos a+\cos b+\cos c) - \cos c(\sin a+\sin b+\sin c)}{\sin c\cos(a+b+c) - \cos c\sin(a+b+c)} = \frac{\sin(c-a) + \sin(c-b)}{-\sin(a+b)}.$$ Thus $$\frac{\cos(c-a) + \cos(c-b) + 1}{\cos(a+b)} = \frac{\sin(c-a) + \sin(c-b)}{-\sin(a+b)} = p.$$ Now apply the trick again, to that expression, this time with $\lambda = \cos(a+b)$ and $\mu = -\sin(a+b)$: $$\begin{aligned} p &= \frac{\cos(a+b)\bigl(\cos(c-a) + \cos(c-b) + 1\bigr) - \sin(a+b)\bigl(\sin(c-a) + \sin(c-b)\bigr)}{\cos^2(a+b) + \sin^2(a+b)} \\ &= \frac{\cos(b+c) + \cos(a+c) + \cos(a+b)}{1}. \end{aligned}$$ Therefore $\cos(b+c) + \cos(a+c) + \cos(a+b) = p$.

Hi Opalg,

I must say a big thank you to you, who has constantly helped me out to understand how to use some nice tricks to solve some challenging mathematics problems and words cannot adequately express my deepest gratitude to you for the remarkable helps that you have shown to me.(Sun)(heart)

Also, even if I'm aware of the technique to use the following trick, it would take me some time to figure out the proper $\lambda$ and $\mu$ to be used!

($\dfrac xy = \dfrac zw = p$ then also $\dfrac{\lambda x + \mu z}{\lambda y + \mu w} = p$ for any choice of $\lambda$ and $\mu$.)

mente oscura said:
Hello.

[tex]p^2 \ cos^2(a+b+c)=cos^2a+cos^2b+cos^2c+2cos a \ cos b+2cos a \ cos c+2cos b \ cos c[/tex], (*)

[tex]p^2 \ sin^2(a+b+c)=sin^2a+sin^2b+sin^2c+2sin a \ sin b+2sin a \ sin c+2sin b \ sin c[/tex], (**)

I'm add (*) and (**)

[tex]p^2=3+2cos a \ cos b+2cos a \ cos c+2cos b \ cos c+2sin a \ sin b+2sin a \ sin c+2sin b \ sin c[/tex]

[tex]p^2=3+4\cos a \cos b+4\cos a \cos c+4\cos b \cos c+2\cos (a+b)+2\cos (a+c)+2\cos (b+c)[/tex]

Shouldn't the above be [tex]p^2=3+4\sin a \sin b+4\sin a \sin c+4\sin b \sin c+2\cos (a+b)+2\cos (a+c)+2\cos (b+c)[/tex]?:confused:

mente oscura said:
Hello.

I'm add (*) and (**)

[tex]p^2=3+4\cos a \cos b+4\cos a \cos c+4\cos b \cos c+2\cos (a+b)+2\cos (a+c)+2\cos (b+c)[/tex]We substitute, to see if it can meet that:

[tex]\cos(b+c) + \cos(a+c) + \cos(a+b) = p[/tex]

[tex]2p=2 \cos(b+c) +2 \cos(a+c) +2 \cos(a+b)[/tex]

[tex]p^2-2p-4(\cos a \cos b+\cos a \cos c+\cos b \cos c)-3=0[/tex]

[tex]p=-1 \pm \sqrt{1+\cos a \cos b+\cos a \cos c+\cos b \cos c}[/tex]

Could we discard the negative outcome?:confused:

Regards.
Hello.

I'm sorry. I am wrong in the transcription of any sign. I this correct:

By be:

[tex]\cos (a+b)= \cos a \cos b-\sin a \sin b[/tex]

[tex]2 \sin a \sin b=2 \cos a \cos b-2 \cos (a+b)[/tex]

This is similar with [tex]\cos (a+c) \ and \ \cos (b+c)[/tex]

It would be:

[tex]p^2=3+4 \cos a \cos b+4 \cos a \cos c+4 \cos b \cos c-2 \cos (a+b)-2 \cos (a+c)-2 \cos (b+c)[/tex]

[tex]p^2=3+4 \cos a \cos b+4 \cos a \cos c+4 \cos b \cos c-2 p[/tex]

[tex]p^2+2p-4(\cos a \cos b+\cos a \cos c+\cos b \cos c)-3=0[/tex][tex]p=-1 \pm \sqrt{1+\cos a \cos b+\cos a \cos c+\cos b \cos c}[/tex]Regards.

Related to Proving a Trigonometric equality

What is a trigonometric equality?

A trigonometric equality is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two trigonometric expressions. It states that the two expressions are equal, regardless of what values are substituted for the variables.

How do you prove a trigonometric equality?

To prove a trigonometric equality, you must use mathematical techniques such as substitution, algebraic manipulations, and trigonometric identities to show that the left side of the equation is equal to the right side. This process is known as "solving" the equation.

What are some common trigonometric identities used in proving equalities?

Some common trigonometric identities used in proving equalities include the Pythagorean identities, cofunction identities, double-angle identities, and half-angle identities. These identities can be used to simplify expressions and manipulate them to show equality.

Why is proving trigonometric equalities important?

Proving trigonometric equalities is important for understanding the relationships between different trigonometric functions and for solving complex equations. It also helps to build a strong foundation in mathematics and prepares students for more advanced topics in calculus and physics.

What are some tips for successfully proving trigonometric equalities?

Some tips for successfully proving trigonometric equalities include being familiar with the basic trigonometric identities, using algebraic manipulations to simplify expressions, and considering different strategies such as working backwards or using symmetry. It is also important to practice and review regularly to improve problem-solving skills.