Proving A Result About the Cross Product

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the resultant vector of the cross product of two vectors, \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{s}, can only point in two directions: parallel and antiparallel. The conversation also involves discussing the definition of the cross product and how to show that it is perpendicular to both \mathbf{r} and \mathbf{s}. The suggested method for proving this is by computing the dot product and showing that it equals zero. Additionally, there is a discussion about the algebraic approach and the use of a coordinate system to simplify the computation.
Bashyboy
Here is the claim I am trying to prove: Suppose we have two vectors [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{s}[/itex]. I would like to show that there are only two directions in which the resultant vector of the cross product [itex]\mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{s}[/itex] can point, parallel and antiparallel.

How might one prove this? Could someone proffer a few hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you define the cross product ##\mathbf{r}\times \mathbf{s}##?

And isn't the cross product ##\mathbf{r}\times \mathbf{s}## a well-defined vector? As such, it only points in one direction? Why would it point in two direction? And what is parallel and anti-parallel? Parallel to what?

I'm not sure what you mean. There's only one direction that [itex]\mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{s}[/itex] points; it's in the direction of [itex]\mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{s}[/itex]! :biggrin:

Seriously though, perhaps you want to prove that [itex]\mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{s}[/itex] lies in the 1 dimensional space perpendicular to the plane containing [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{s}[/itex]?

MisterX said:
Seriously though, perhaps you want to prove that [itex]\mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{s}[/itex] lies in the 1 dimensional space perpendicular to the plane containing [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{s}[/itex]?

This, I suppose, is closer to what I want to demonstrate.

Bashyboy said:
This, I suppose, is closer to what I want to demonstrate.

But then we need to know how you defined ##\mathbf{r}\times\mathbf{s}##.

Well, the definition Taylor provides in his Classical Mechanics text is

[itex]\mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{s} = \mathbf{p}[/itex]

where the three orthogonal components of [itex]\mathbf{p}[/itex] are found by computing

[itex]p_x = r_ys_z - r_zs_y[/itex]

[itex]p_y = r_zs_x - r_xs_z[/itex]

[itex]p_z = r_xs_y - r_ys_x[/itex]

If your definition of ##\mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{s}## is by a formula, it would be a good idea to check that ##\mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{s}## is perpendicular to both ##\mathbf{r}## and ##\mathbf{s}##.

So you need to show that ##\mathbf{r}## is orthogonal to ##\mathbf{r}\times \mathbf{s}## (and the same for ##\mathbf{s}##). You can do this with dot products. Indeed, it suffices to show

[tex]\mathbf{r}\cdot (\mathbf{r}\times \mathbf{s}) = 0[/tex]

Can you do this?

Yes, I can do this, and actually did this earlier today. I simply defined a coordinate system such that the x-axis of this coordinate system coincided with [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] ([itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] acts as a basis vector) Doing this, easily computed the components of [itex]\mathbf{p}[/itex] and took the inner product of this with [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex], which lead to zero.

Bashyboy said:
Yes, I can do this, and actually did this earlier today. I simply defined a coordinate system such that the x-axis of this coordinate system coincided with [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] ([itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] acts as a basis vector) Doing this, easily computed the components of [itex]\mathbf{p}[/itex] and took the inner product of this with [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex], which lead to zero.
Why not just do the algebra?

##\mathbf{r}\cdot (\mathbf{r}\times \mathbf{s}) =r_x(r_ys_z-r_zs_y) + \ldots##

Joffan, I did do the algebra earlier today. In this post, I just summarized what I did in English.

Related to Proving A Result About the Cross Product

What is the cross product?

The cross product, also known as the vector product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to the original two vectors. It is denoted by the symbol × and is defined as A × B = |A||B|sinθ  n, where A and B are the input vectors, θ is the angle between them, and n is a unit vector perpendicular to both A and B.

Why is it important to prove a result about the cross product?

Proving a result about the cross product is important because it allows us to understand and apply the properties of this operation in various mathematical and scientific contexts. It also helps to validate the use of the cross product in solving problems and making predictions.

What are some common results that can be proven about the cross product?

Some common results that can be proven about the cross product include the distributive property, the associative property, the commutative property, and the fact that the cross product of two parallel vectors is zero. Additionally, the magnitude of the resulting vector can also be proven using trigonometric identities.

What are the steps involved in proving a result about the cross product?

The steps involved in proving a result about the cross product may vary depending on the specific result being proven. However, in general, the process involves identifying the properties and definitions of the cross product, using algebraic and geometric manipulation to simplify the expression, and providing a logical and mathematical explanation for each step taken.

How is the cross product used in real-world applications?

The cross product has many real-world applications, particularly in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate torque, magnetic fields, and angular momentum in physics, as well as to determine the orientation and rotation of 3D objects in computer graphics. It also has applications in vector calculus and differential geometry.