Proving a property of an integral

In summary, the conversation is about confirming a proof and discussing alternative ways of solving the problem. The expert suggests explicitly defining a function and clarifying an intermediary step to simplify the proof. The conversation ends with a thank you.
Mike s
I have already solved it, but I need confirmation:
etfcau.jpg

Are there other ways of proving this?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike s said:
I have already solved it, but I need confirmation:
etfcau.jpg

Are there other ways of proving this?

Thanks in advance!

Your proof is fine (and it's the way I would've done it), except that you should explicitly define your [itex]F(a)[/itex]. You implicitly defined it as an indefinite integral, which means [itex]F(0) = c[/itex], but I would prefer to define [itex]F(a) = \int_0^a f(x) dx[/itex], and include one more intermediary step clarifying that [itex]\int_a^{2a} f(t) dt = \int_0^{2a} f(t) dt - \int_0^a f(t) dt = F(2a) - F(a)[/itex]. This way, I don't have to bother with the [itex]F(0)[/itex] term at all.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
Your proof is fine (and it's the way I would've done it), except that you should explicitly define your [itex]F(a)[/itex]. You implicitly defined it as an indefinite integral, which means [itex]F(0) = c[/itex], but I would prefer to define [itex]F(a) = \int_0^a f(x) dx[/itex], and include one more intermediary step clarifying that [itex]\int_a^{2a} f(t) dt = \int_0^{2a} f(t) dt - \int_0^a f(t) dt = F(2a) - F(a)[/itex]. This way, I don't have to bother with the [itex]F(0)[/itex] term at all.

Thanks a lot!

Related to Proving a property of an integral

1. What is the definition of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is typically denoted by ∫ and is used to find the total value of a quantity over a certain interval.

2. How do you prove a property of an integral?

In order to prove a property of an integral, one must use mathematical techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or the fundamental theorem of calculus. These techniques allow you to manipulate the integral in a way that leads to the desired property.

3. Can you give an example of proving a property of an integral?

One common property of integrals is the linearity property, which states that the integral of a sum is equal to the sum of the integrals. For example, if we have the integral of (x^2 + 2x)dx, we can use the linearity property to split it into the integral of x^2dx + the integral of 2xdx, making it easier to solve.

4. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning it is evaluated over a specific interval. An indefinite integral does not have limits and represents a family of functions that differ by a constant. In other words, a definite integral gives a specific value while an indefinite integral gives a function.

5. Are there other properties of integrals besides linearity?

Yes, there are several other properties of integrals, including the product rule, quotient rule, and change of variables. These properties allow you to manipulate integrals in different ways to solve them more easily or to express them in terms of other variables.