Proving a number is irrational

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof by contradiction that √2 is irrational, using the same proof on a number known to be rational. However, the proof becomes invalid due to the number being used not being in its lowest terms. This is due to the fact that 4 is not a prime number.
Miike012
I picked up a book by Stephen Abbott called "Understanding Analysis" and it begins talking about rational and irrational numbers then it goes on proving how √2 is irrational. The proof is easy to understand but I wanted to use the same exact proof on a number I knew was rational.

Let (p/q)2 be a rational number equal to 4 where p and q have no common factors and q ≠0.

(p/q)2 = 4 which implies p2 = 4*q2. From this we can see that p2 is a multiple of 4 and hence so is p. Let p = 4a where a is an integer.

16a2 = 4*q2 , 4a2 = q2 which implies q2 is a multiple of 4 and hence q is also.

Question:
There for we now know the ratio p/q is not in lowest terms, it has a common factor of 4.

So how am i suppose to interpret this? This is the same exact proof that proved √2 is irrational by showing p and q have common factors. Well I just showed you that √4 = p/q where p and q have common factors but √4 = 2 is obviously rational.

Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
... From this we can see that p2 is a multiple of 4 and hence so is p.

This is where you went wrong. While it is true that, for any integer [itex]p[/itex], [itex]2|p[/itex] whenever [itex]2|p^2[/itex], this is due to [itex]2[/itex] being prime. [itex]4[/itex] is not prime.

Miike012 said:
I picked up a book by Stephen Abbott called "Understanding Analysis" and it begins talking about rational and irrational numbers then it goes on proving how √2 is irrational. The proof is easy to understand but I wanted to use the same exact proof on a number I knew was rational.

Let (p/q)2 be a rational number equal to 4 where p and q have no common factors and q ≠0.

(p/q)2 = 4 which implies p2 = 4*q2. From this we can see that p2 is a multiple of 4 and hence so is p. Let p = 4a where a is an integer.

16a2 = 4*q2 , 4a2 = q2 which implies q2 is a multiple of 4 and hence q is also.Question:
There for we now know the ratio p/q is not in lowest terms, it has a common factor of 4.

So how am i suppose to interpret this? This is the same exact proof that proved √2 is irrational by showing p and q have common factors. Well I just showed you that √4 = p/q where p and q have common factors but √4 = 2 is obviously rational.

The ratio for the proof is always in lowest terms. To start with 2/4 instead of 1/2 is nonsensical.

As a caveat, I believe the proof in most books always states ##\text{gcd}(p,q) =1## or says they are relatively prime.

You cannot conclude that p is a multiple of 4. You can only conclude that is a multiple of 2. This avoids the contradiction.

Revised Solution:

(p/q)2 = 4 which implies p2 = 4*q2. From this we can see that p2 is a multiple of 4 and p a multiple of 2. Let p = 2a where a is an integer.

p2 = 4*q2 or 4a2 = 4*q2. From this equation we can see

Equation 1: (a^2 = q2.)

Is this correct?
QUESTIONS: If we know p is a multiple of 2 and from equation 1 we see that a^2 = q2 where a is any integer, from this equation how can we conclude from eq 1 that q is equal to 1?

or is it the fact that p and q do not have common factors which tells us that the ratio p/q is reduced, assuming p =/= q and that alone implies that there is a rational number when squared that is equal to 4. Is that correct?

Last edited:
QUESTIONS: If we know p is a multiple of 2 and from equation 1 we see that a^2 = q2 where a is any integer, from this equation how can we conclude from eq 1 that q is equal to 1?

The fact that p2=4q2 and p and q have no common factors means that the only thing that can divide p are multiples of 2. From there the fact that p and q have no common factors implies that p must be equal to 2 (otherwise q would have to be divisible by 2 as well)

or is it the fact that p and q do not have common factors which tells us that the ratio p/q is reduced, assuming p =/= q and that alone implies that there is a rational number when squared that is equal to 4. Is that correct?

You're trying to do a proof by contradiction and failing to find a contradiction (since there isn't one to be found), so you shouldn't expect to prove anything like this. You can get around to calculating what the square root of 4 is using what I typed above but it really relies on the fact that 22=4 to begin with, so I don't think there's any value in thinking about it too much. It's better to recognize that trying to prove by contradiction that 4 has no square root won't get you very far because it's not true that 4 has not square root (and figure out where the hole is in your calculation so you can throw it away with a peaceful mind) than to try to figure out how you can salvage the calculations you made and actually prove something

Related to Proving a number is irrational

What does it mean for a number to be irrational?

A number is irrational if it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction or ratio of two integers. This means that the decimal representation of the number is non-terminating and non-repeating.

How can I prove that a number is irrational?

There are several methods for proving a number is irrational. One common method is to assume the number is rational and then use proof by contradiction to show that this assumption leads to a contradiction. Another method is to use the irrationality of known numbers, such as pi or the square root of 2, to prove the irrationality of a new number.

Can any number be proven to be irrational?

No, not all numbers can be proven to be irrational. Some numbers, such as whole numbers or fractions, are known to be rational. Additionally, there are many numbers whose irrationality has not been proven or disproven.

Why is it important to prove that a number is irrational?

Proving a number is irrational can have important implications in fields such as mathematics and physics. It can also help us better understand the nature of numbers and their relationships to each other.

Are there any real-life applications for proving a number is irrational?

Yes, there are real-life applications for proving a number is irrational. For example, in computer science, it is important to accurately represent and manipulate irrational numbers in calculations. Proving a number is irrational can also have applications in cryptography and data encryption.