Proving (a^n -b^n) Does Not Divide (a^n + b ^n): Divisibility Question

In summary, to show that (a^n -b^n) does not divide (a^n + b ^n) for all integers a, b, and n, we can assume that a and b have no common factor and consider a prime p that divides a^n - b^n. Eliminating trivial cases, we can show that p must also divide b^n, which contradicts our initial assumption. This proof is simpler than other possible proofs and can be generalized to all integers.
joeblow
How can I show that (a^n -b^n) doesn't divide (a^n + b ^n) for all integers a,b, and n?

I have that if (a^n -b^n) did divide (a^n + b ^n), then (a^n +b^n) = q (a^n -b^n) which implies b^n = -q*b^n (mod a^n). Then 1 = -q (mod a^n), meaning gcd(b, a^n) = 1. I am unsure of what more I can deduce. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to assume that a, b and n are all > 1. Otherwise there are simple counterexamples.

Yes, of course.

a^n - b^n | a^n + b^n
implies
a^n - b^n | 2b^n
and so, if a >= b,
ka^n = (2 - k)b^n
for some positive k. It must be the case that k = 1 (why?), so
a^n = b^n
and hence
a = b.

CRGreathouse said:
a^n - b^n | a^n + b^n
implies
a^n - b^n | 2b^n
and so, if a >= b,
ka^n = (2 - k)b^n
for some positive k. It must be the case that k = 1 (why?), so
a^n = b^n
and hence
a = b.

Shouldn't the equation

ka^n = (2 - k)b^n

instead be

ka^n = (2 + k)b^n?

I think I have a solution. Here's a hint: Prove that you can reduce the problem to the case in which a and b are relatively prime.

HTH

Petek

We assume a and b have no common factor, because if they did, it could be removed.

To avoid the case of a^n-b^n = 0, we need only consider a prime p, such that p divides a^n-b^n. We eliminate the trivial cases where n=1, or where a,b or n =0. Then [tex]a^n \equiv b^n Mod p [/tex]; [tex] a^n + b^n \equiv 2b^n Mod p [/tex]

Thus p divides 2 or p divides b^n. but 2 can be a factor of b since then it would also divide a, and consequently we can chose p >2. But then it follows both a and b are divisible by p contrary to assumption.

Last edited:
joeblow said:
How can I show that (a^n -b^n) doesn't divide (a^n + b ^n) for all integers a,b, and n?

I have that if (a^n -b^n) did divide (a^n + b ^n), then (a^n +b^n) = q (a^n -b^n) which implies b^n = -q*b^n (mod a^n). Then 1 = -q (mod a^n), meaning gcd(b, a^n) = 1. I am unsure of what more I can deduce. Any help is appreciated.

That is easy.
a=3,b=2,n=2 implies
a^n+b^n=13 which is not divisible by a^n-b^n=5.
So, if it is not valid for 3,2,and 2, then it is not valid for all integers.

CRGreathouse said:
a^n - b^n | a^n + b^n
implies
a^n - b^n | 2b^n

Hm, if a^n+b^n=2b^n doesn't it mean a^n-b^n=0?

robert Ihnot said:
We assume a and b have no common factor, because if they did, it could be removed.

To avoid the case of a^n-b^n = 0, we need only consider a prime p, such that p divides a^n-b^n. We eliminate the trivial cases where n=1, or where a,b or n =0. Then [tex]a^n \equiv b^n Mod p [/tex]; [tex] a^n + b^n \equiv 2b^n Mod p [/tex]

Thus p divides 2 or p divides b^n. but 2 can be a factor of b since then it would also divide a, and consequently we can chose p >2. But then it follows both a and b are divisible by p contrary to assumption.

This proof seems to be correct (with "but 2 can be a factor of b" an obvious typo for "but 2 cannot be a factor of b"), and is simpler than the one I had in mind. Nice!

Petek

Petek said:
This proof seems to be correct (with "but 2 can be a factor of b" an obvious typo for "but 2 cannot be a factor of b"), and is simpler than the one I had in mind. Nice!

Petek

Yes, thank you: "But 2 CANNOT be a factor of b since then it would also divide a..."

Borek said:
Hm, if a^n+b^n=2b^n doesn't it mean a^n-b^n=0?

an-bn|an+bn

Then

an - bn|an+bn-(an-bn)
Which gives

an-bn|2bn

Nothing here says they're equal though

Office_Shredder said:
Nothing here says they're equal though

Related to Proving (a^n -b^n) Does Not Divide (a^n + b ^n): Divisibility Question

1. What is a divisibility question?

A divisibility question is a mathematical question that asks whether a given number can be divided evenly by another number without any remainder. It is used to determine the divisibility of a number by another number.

2. How do you solve a divisibility question?

To solve a divisibility question, you can use rules and patterns to determine if the given number is divisible by another number. For example, if the last digit of the given number is 0, 2, 4, 6, or 8, then the number is divisible by 2. Similarly, if the sum of all the digits of the given number is divisible by 3, then the number is divisible by 3.

3. What are the rules for divisibility by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 10?

The rule for divisibility by 2 is that the last digit of the number must be 0, 2, 4, 6, or 8. The rule for divisibility by 3 is that the sum of all the digits of the number must be divisible by 3. For divisibility by 4, the last two digits of the number must be divisible by 4. A number is divisible by 5 if the last digit is either 0 or 5. For divisibility by 6, the number must be divisible by both 2 and 3. A number is divisible by 9 if the sum of all the digits is divisible by 9. Lastly, a number is divisible by 10 if the last digit is 0.

4. How can divisibility questions be useful in real life?

Divisibility questions have practical applications in everyday life. For example, they can be used to determine if a number is evenly divisible by a given unit of measurement, such as determining if a quantity of items can be evenly divided amongst a group of people. They are also used in banking and finance to check for errors in calculations and to determine if a number is divisible by a certain interest rate. In computer science, divisibility questions are used in algorithms to determine if a number is a prime number.

5. Are there any shortcuts for solving divisibility questions?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts for solving divisibility questions. For example, if a number is divisible by both 2 and 3, then it is also divisible by 6. Similarly, if a number is divisible by both 3 and 9, then it is also divisible by 9. Another shortcut is that a number is divisible by 4 if the last two digits are divisible by 4. These shortcuts can save time and make solving divisibility questions easier.