Proving a[n]≤2^n using Mathematical Induction

In summary, the sequence a[k]=a[k-1]+a[k-2]+a[k-3] for k≥3, s.t. a[0]=1, a[1]=2, a[2]=3, a[3]=6..., proves that a[n]≤2^n using complete mathematical induction.
rtw528
1. Define a sequence of numbers in the following way:
a[k]=a[k-1]+a[k-2]+a[k-3] for k≥3, s.t. a[0]=1, a[1]=2, a[2]=3, a[3]=6...
*The numbers in brackets will be subscripts for the whole problem

Prove that a[n]≤2^n using complete mathematical induction.

This is what I have so far.
We'll use complete mathematical induction, where P(n)=a[n]≤2^n
P(0) is the statement a[0]≤2^0.
This is true because 1≤1.
Assume For all n, 0, 1, ..., k a[n]≤2^n is true.
We want to show that for k+t that a[k+1]≤2^(k+1)
Thus, a[k+1]=a[k]+a[k-1]+a[k-2]
And 2^(k+1)=2(2^k)
Therefore, a[k]+a[k-1]+a[k-2]≤2(2^k).

I can't seem to get past this part. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
rtw528 said:
1. Define a sequence of numbers in the following way:
a[k]=a[k-1]+a[k-2]+a[k-3] for k≥3, s.t. a[0]=1, a[1]=2, a[2]=3, a[3]=6...
*The numbers in brackets will be subscripts for the whole problem

Prove that a[n]≤2^n using complete mathematical induction.

This is what I have so far.
We'll use complete mathematical induction, where P(n)=a[n]≤2^n
P(0) is the statement a[0]≤2^0.
This is true because 1≤1.
Assume For all n, 0, 1, ..., k a[n]≤2^n is true.
We want to show that for k+t that a[k+1]≤2^(k+1)
Thus, a[k+1]=a[k]+a[k-1]+a[k-2]
"Thus" isn't the right word here since it doesn't follow from your assumption and what you want to show. a[k+1]=a[k]+a[k-1]+a[k-2] by definition of the sequence.
rtw528 said:
And 2^(k+1)=2(2^k)
Therefore, a[k]+a[k-1]+a[k-2]≤2(2^k).

I can't seem to get past this part. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Start with a[k+1] = a[k]+a[k-1]+a[k-2].
On the right side, a[k] <= 2k, a[k-1] <= 2k - 1, and a[k-2] <= 2k - 2, right? So what can you say about a[k]+a[k-1]+a[k-2]?

Mark44 said:
So what can you say about a[k]+a[k-1]+a[k-2]?

that a[k]+a[k-1]+a[k-2]≤2^k+2^(k-1)+2^(k-2). but how would I get to 2^(k+1) from here?

Factor the expression on the right - what do you get?

1.75*(2^k)

2k-2(22+2+1), which is 2k-2(7). since neither this nor the other can get me to what I want, I made a mistake somewhere

Last edited:
No, this is the right track. Note that 7 < 23.

And since 7<23, they are not equal but since the first two are, you use ≤ instead of = or <. Also 2k-223≥7(2k-2)

Last edited:
Basically you are showing that an+1 = an + an - 1 + an - 2 ≤ 2n-2(7) < 2n-2(8) = 2n+1

IOW, that an+1 ≤ 2n+1.

Thanks so much for your help.

Related to Proving a[n]≤2^n using Mathematical Induction

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to prove statements about integers or other mathematical objects. It is based on the principle that if a statement is true for a particular value, and it can also be shown to be true for the next value, then it must be true for all values in between.

2. How does mathematical induction work?

Mathematical induction works by breaking down a proof into two parts: the base case and the inductive step. The base case is when we prove that the statement is true for the first value, usually 0 or 1. The inductive step is when we assume that the statement is true for a particular value, and then use this assumption to prove that it is also true for the next value. Thus, by repeating this process, we can show that the statement is true for all values.

3. What is the difference between strong and weak induction?

Strong induction, also known as complete induction, is a variation of mathematical induction where instead of assuming that the statement is true for a particular value, we assume it is true for all values up to that value. Weak induction, on the other hand, only assumes that the statement is true for the previous value. Both methods are valid, but strong induction can be more useful in certain cases.

4. How do we prove inequalities using mathematical induction?

To prove an inequality using mathematical induction, we follow the same steps as a regular proof by induction. However, in the inductive step, instead of showing that the statement is true for the next value, we show that it is true for the next value if it is true for the previous value. This is because we are trying to show that the statement holds for all values, not just the next one.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction include not properly establishing the base case, assuming the statement is true for all values instead of just the next value, and not clearly stating the inductive hypothesis. It is also important to check that the inductive step is logically sound and correctly follows from the inductive hypothesis.