Proving a Group is Cyclic - A Guide for Beginners

In summary, to prove that a group K is cyclic, we can find normal subgroups of prime orders and show that their direct product is isomorphic to K. This can be done using Sylow's theorems, but there are other approaches as well. If there are more than two primes in the decomposition of K, the same method can be used by finding normal subgroups of each prime order.
friedchicken
Hi everyone.

How could I prove if something is a cyclic group? I was wondering because I can prove is something is a group, a subgroup, and a normal subgroup, but I have no Idea as to how to prove something is a cyclic group.

Ex: Suppose K is a group with order 143. Prove K is cyclic.

I read around and I kept seeing something about Sylow's theorems, but I never learned anything like that. Is there another approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
To prove that K is cyclic, it is sufficient to prove that it has normal subgroups of order 11 and 13. There's a theorem that states that, if we can find such normal subgroups and their intersection is trivial, then K is isomorphic to their direct product. The only groups of order 11 and 13 are Z_11 and Z_13. Since both are cyclic and 11 and 13 are coprime, their direct product is cyclic.

By Sylow's theorems, there's exactly one of each in K.

This works quite generally for prime pairs as long as p[itex]\not =[/itex] 1 mod q and q[itex]\not =[/itex]1 mod p. If p = 1 mod q (such would be the case, for example, if one of the primes is 2), the subgroup of order 2 is not unique and therefore not normal: therefore, for example, there's a non-cyclic group of order 6, [itex]S_3[/itex] (3 = 1 mod 2), and there's a nontrivial non-cyclic group of order 21 (7 = 1 mod 3).

The same method goes if there are more than two primes in the decomposition.

Last edited:

Related to Proving a Group is Cyclic - A Guide for Beginners

1. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a mathematical structure that is formed by a set of elements and an operation, where each element can be generated by repeatedly applying the operation to a specific element within the set. In simpler terms, a cyclic group is a group that can be generated by a single element.

2. How do I prove that a group is cyclic?

To prove that a group is cyclic, you need to show that there exists an element within the group that can generate all other elements by repeatedly applying the group operation. This can be done by finding a specific element that, when raised to different powers, generates all other elements in the group.

3. What is the importance of proving a group is cyclic?

Proving that a group is cyclic is important because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of the group. Cyclic groups have special properties that make them easier to study and can provide insights into other mathematical structures.

4. Are there any specific methods for proving a group is cyclic?

Yes, there are specific methods for proving a group is cyclic. One method is to find a generator, which is an element that can generate all other elements in the group. Another method is to use the cyclic subgroup test, which involves checking if all elements in the group are generated by a single element.

5. Can a non-cyclic group be proven to be cyclic?

No, a non-cyclic group cannot be proven to be cyclic. A group is either cyclic or non-cyclic, and it cannot be both. If a group does not have a generator, then it is not cyclic. However, it is possible to prove that a subgroup of a non-cyclic group is cyclic.