Direct Product of Cyclic Groups

In summary, the conversation discusses the claim that the direct product of two finite cyclic groups is also cyclic with a generator of (g1, g2). There is uncertainty about the validity of this claim and it is clarified that the generator of a cyclic group is not always unique. It is then explained that the order of the element (g1, g2) may not necessarily be the product of the orders of the individual groups, but rather the LCM if the orders are not relatively-prime.
Bashyboy
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if the following claim is true:

Let ##G_1## and ##G_2## be finite cyclic groups with generators ##g_1## and ##g_2##, respectively. The group formed by the direct product ##G_1 \times G_2## is cyclic and its generator is ##(g_1,g_2)##.

I am not certain that it is true. If I make the following stipulation

Let ##G_1## and ##G_2## be finite cyclic groups with generators ##g_1## and ##g_2##, respectively, and the group formed by the direct product ##G_1 \times G_2## is cyclic, then it has the generator ##(g_1,g_2)##.

this might be true. However, I would like to hear from you before I try to go prove something that is false.

Physics news on Phys.org
The product is cyclic iff the orders are relatively-prime. In the direct product, you have:

## |G_1 \times G_2|=|G_1| \times |G_2| ## . Then, if you can find an element in the product with that
order, you are done.

More importantly, I am interested in knowing if the generator of ##G_1 \times G_2## is based off the generators of the individual groups ##G_1## and ##G_2##.

Or is this not true in general?

Notice that the generator of a cyclic group is not necessarily unique.

RE your question on relation between individual generators and generators of the product: yes, it is. Let ## g_1, g_2 ## be generators for ##G_1, G_2 ## respectively. Then there are positive integers ##m,n## with

##g_1^n=e_{G_1} , g_2^m = e_{G_2}##. What is then the order of ## (g_1, g_2)## ?

Let's see if I understand this correctly: Let ##|G_1| = x## and ##|G_2| = y##, and let both be both cyclic with the generators alluded in the above posts. If this is so, then ##\langle g_1 \rangle = G_1 \implies |\langle g \rangle | = x##, with a similar thing being true of ##G_2##. Furthermore, ##|G_1 \times G_2 | = xy##. There is a theorem that I proved which shows that the direct product of two subgroups produces a subgroup of the direct product of the larger group(s). Therefore, ##\langle g_1 \rangle \times \langle g_2 \rangle## is a subgroup, and its order is ##| \langle g_1 \rangle \times \langle g_2 \rangle | = xy##. Thus, the element ##(g_1,g_2)## has an order of ##xy##, and it must generate ##G_1 \times G_2##.

Does this sound right?

Bashyboy said:
Let's see if I understand this correctly: Let ##|G_1| = x## and ##|G_2| = y##, and let both be both cyclic with the generators alluded in the above posts. If this is so, then ##\langle g_1 \rangle = G_1 \implies |\langle g \rangle | = x##, with a similar thing being true of ##G_2##. Furthermore, ##|G_1 \times G_2 | = xy##. There is a theorem that I proved which shows that the direct product of two subgroups produces a subgroup of the direct product of the larger group(s). Therefore, ##\langle g_1 \rangle \times \langle g_2 \rangle## is a subgroup, and its order is ##| \langle g_1 \rangle \times \langle g_2 \rangle | = xy##. Thus, the element ##(g_1,g_2)## has an order of ##xy##, and it must generate ##G_1 \times G_2##.

Does this sound right?
The order need not be ##xy##. Take ##Z_2## which is cyclic with generator ##1##. Then in the group ##Z_2 \times Z_2##, the element ##(1,1)## has order two since ##(1, 1) \neq (0,0)##, and ##(1, 1) + (1, 1) = (0, 0)##, yet ##Z_2 \times Z_2## has order ##4##, so ##(1,1)## does not generate ##Z_2 \times Z_2##. Note ##Z_2 \times Z_2## is isomorphic to the Klein 4-group which is not cyclic. I think perhaps a look at the previous post is a good idea as it really says it all. What is the order of ##(g_1, g_2)##? It is worth looking at. LaTeX fixed, thanks Greg:)

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
No, the order of the product equals the product of the orders only if the orders are relatively-prime to each other.
Otehrwise, you use the LCM.

Related to Direct Product of Cyclic Groups

1. What is the definition of a direct product of cyclic groups?

A direct product of cyclic groups is a mathematical operation that combines two or more cyclic groups together to form a new group. It is denoted by the symbol "×" and is defined as the set of all possible combinations of elements from the individual cyclic groups, with the operation being performed component-wise.

2. How is the direct product of cyclic groups different from the direct sum of cyclic groups?

While both operations involve combining cyclic groups, the direct product takes into account the individual elements of each group, while the direct sum only considers the number of elements in each group. In other words, the direct product creates a larger group with more elements, while the direct sum creates a group with the same number of elements as the sum of the individual groups.

3. What is the order of the direct product of cyclic groups?

The order of the direct product of cyclic groups is equal to the product of the orders of the individual cyclic groups. In other words, if the first cyclic group has order m and the second cyclic group has order n, then the direct product will have order mn.

4. Can the direct product of cyclic groups be commutative?

Yes, the direct product of cyclic groups can be commutative, but it is not always the case. If the individual cyclic groups are commutative, then the direct product will also be commutative. However, if the individual cyclic groups are non-commutative, then the direct product will also be non-commutative.

5. What are some real-world applications of the direct product of cyclic groups?

The direct product of cyclic groups has various applications in different fields of mathematics, such as group theory, number theory, and cryptography. In group theory, it is used to study the structures of different groups. In number theory, it is used to analyze the properties of integers. In cryptography, it is used to create secure encryption algorithms, such as the RSA algorithm, which is based on the direct product of two large cyclic groups.