Proving 12 - 22 + 32 - 42 + ... + (-1)n+1)n2 for Every Positive Integer n

In summary, the problem is to determine the formula for 12 - 22 + 32 - 42 + ... + (-1)n+1)n2 for every positive integer n using the results from parts (a) and (b). The formula is found to be (-1)^{n+1}\frac{n^2+n}{2} and can be proven using mathematical induction.
magic88

Homework Statement

This is a proof problem in the mathematical induction section of my textbook. I am having trouble with question (c).

Result: 12 + 22 + 32 + ... + n2 = n(n+1)(2n+1)/6 for every positive integer n.

(a) Use the result to determine the formula for 22 + 42 + 62 + ... + (2n)2 for every positive integer n.
  • I have already found the solution to this problem: 22 + 42 + 62 + ... + (2n)2 = (2/3)n(n+1)(2n+1) for every positive integer n.

(b) Use the result to determine the formula for 12 + 32 + 52 + ... + (2n -1)2 for every positive integer n.
  • I have already found the solution to this problem: 12 + 32 + 52 + ... + (2n -1)2 = (2/3)n(n+1)(2n+1) - 2n(n+1) + n for every positive integer n.

(c) Use (a) and (b) to determine the formula for 12 - 22 + 32 - 42 + ... + (-1)n+1)n2 for every positive integer n. Use mathematical induction to prove this.

Homework Equations

Principle of Mathematical Induction: For each positive integer n, let P(n)be a statement. If P(1) is true and the implication "If P(k), then P(k+1) is true," then P(n) is true for every positive integer n.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the solutions to part (a) and (b) and have proved them. (Lots of algebra involved!) But I've been trying to figure out part (c) for about an hour now, and I just don't know how to approach it.

I started by listing out a few of the sums from part (c):
  • When n = 1, sum = 1
  • When n = 2, sum = -3
  • When n = 3, sum = 6
  • When n = 4, sum = -10
  • When n = 5, sum = 15
  • When n = 6, sum = -21

And listing out sums from part (a):
  • When n = 1, sum = 4
  • When n = 2, sum = 20
  • When n = 3, sum = 56
  • When n = 4, sum = 120

And listing out sums from part (b):
  • When n = 1, sum = 1
  • When n = 2, sum = 10
  • When n = 3, sum = 35
  • When n = 4, sum = 84

I found a pattern between the three sums:
  • Part (c) sum = -3 = 1-4
  • Part (c) sum = 6 = 10-4
  • Part (c) sum = -10 = 10-20
  • Part (c) sum = 15 = 35-20
  • Part (c) sum = -21 = 56-35
(I’m sorry, I don’t really know how to explain the pattern, but if you look back at the lists of sums I made above, I think you will understand what I mean.)

I don’t know how to proceed from here. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Please let me know if you need any clarification.

Kendra :)

Physics news on Phys.org
(c)=(b)-(a) with 2n replaced with n.

also, for your previous proofs for which you said you used lots of algebra, consider this:
you have

[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{n}r^{2}=\frac{1}{6}n(n+1)(2n+1)\][/tex]

(a) find

[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{n}(2r)^{2}\][/tex]
(write this in terms of the first sum)

(b) find

[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{n}(2r+1)\][/tex]
(write this in terms of the first sum too)

That should make things considerably easier

Last edited:
Thanks very much! Your tip about writing (a) and (b) in terms of the first sum really helped... I don't know why I didn't think of that.

I got:

[tex](-1)^{n+1}\frac{n^2+n}{2}[/tex]

magic88 said:
Thanks very much! Your tip about writing (a) and (b) in terms of the first sum really helped... I don't know why I didn't think of that.

I got:

[tex](-1)^{n+1}\frac{n^2+n}{2}[/tex]

No problem, glad it helped... Now all you have to do is prove your answer for (c) using induction.

Related to Proving 12 - 22 + 32 - 42 + ... + (-1)n+1)n2 for Every Positive Integer n

1. What does the expression "(-1)n+1)n2" mean?

The expression "(-1)n+1)n2" represents the alternating series where the sign alternates between positive and negative, starting with a positive term. The value of n increases with each term and is squared in each term.

2. Why is it necessary to prove this expression for every positive integer n?

It is necessary to prove this expression for every positive integer n because it is a generalization that applies to all possible values of n. This allows for a comprehensive understanding of the pattern and ensures that the expression holds true for all possible cases.

3. How can this expression be proven for every positive integer n?

This expression can be proven using mathematical induction, which involves showing that it holds true for the base case (n=1) and then assuming it holds true for some arbitrary positive integer k and using this assumption to prove that it also holds true for k+1.

4. What is the significance of proving this expression?

Proving this expression demonstrates the validity and accuracy of the mathematical principle behind the pattern. It also allows for the use of this expression in various mathematical calculations and applications.

5. Can this expression be generalized to include other values or operations?

Yes, this expression can be generalized to include other values or operations by changing the starting value, the alternating sign, and the function used on n. For example, it can be generalized to (-1)n+1) * n^3 or (-1)n) * n^2.