Prove using the Triangle Inequality

In summary, the inequality states that :\frac{1}{1+|x+y|} \leq \frac{1}{1+|x|} + \frac{|y|}{1+|x+y|}
Chinnu

Homework Statement

Show that:

(|x+y|)/(1+|x+y|) ≤ ((|x|)/(1+|x|)) + ((|y|)/(1+|y|))

Homework Equations

You are given the triangle inequality:

|x+y| ≤ |x| + |y|

The Attempt at a Solution

(This is done from the result, as I haven't been able to find the starting point)

(|x+y|)/(1+|x+y|) ≤ (|x|(1+|y|)+|y|(1+|x|))/((1+|x|)(1+|y|))

(|x+y|)/(1+|x+y|) ≤ (|x|+2|x||y|+|y|)/(1+|x|+|y|+|x||y|)

This doesn't seem to go anywhere. I also tried flipping the whole thing to get:

(1+|x+y|)/(|x+y|)≤(1+|x|)/(|x|)+(1+|y|)/(|y|)

but this doesn't seem to lead anywhere either...

I'm not sure how to go about this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
As a first step, try starting by applying the triangle inequality to the numerator of the left-hand side. Next, what can you say about [itex] 1 + |x+y|[/itex] and [itex] 1+|x|[/itex]? What does this imply about [itex] \frac{1}{1+|x+y|}[/itex] and [itex] \frac{1}{1+|x|}[/itex]?

so, since 1+|x+y| [itex]\geq[/itex] 1+|x|,

[itex]\frac{1}{1+|x+y|}[/itex] [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{1+|x|}[/itex]

Now,

[itex]\frac{|x+y|}{1+|x+y|}[/itex] [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\frac{|x|}{1+|x+y|}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{|y|}{1+|x+y|}[/itex]

So,

[itex]\frac{|x|}{1+|x+y|}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{|y|}{1+|x+y|}[/itex] [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\frac{|x|}{1+|x|}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{|y|}{1+|x+y|}[/itex]

Can a similar argument now simply be extended for 1+|y|?

You're on the right track. Prove the inequality is true for the denominator, then you can easily prove it is true for the numerator.

Chinnu said:
so, since 1+|x+y| [itex]\geq[/itex] 1+|x|,

Actually, this isn't true: take x=1 and y=-1 for a counterexample.

I just noticed a trick that makes this much easier:

[tex]
\frac{a}{1+a} = \frac{1+a-1}{1+a} = \frac{1+a}{1+a} - \frac{1}{1+a} = 1 - \frac{1}{1+a}\; .
[/tex]

Try using this trick on the LHS. Then you can use the triangle inequality (which will give you [itex] 1+|x+y| \leq 1 + |x| +|y|[/itex]) to compare [itex] -\frac{1}{1+|x+y|}[/itex] and [itex]-\frac{1}{1+|x|+|y|}[/itex]. Then you can use the first trick backwards, which should lead to the result. And hopefully I haven't made any mistakes with my inequalities!

Related to Prove using the Triangle Inequality

1. How do you prove the Triangle Inequality?

To prove the Triangle Inequality, you need to show that the sum of any two sides of a triangle is always greater than the third side. This can be done using the Pythagorean Theorem or by using the properties of similar triangles.

2. What is the significance of the Triangle Inequality?

The Triangle Inequality is a fundamental concept in geometry that helps us understand the relationships between the sides of a triangle. It also has important implications in other areas of mathematics, such as calculus and trigonometry.

3. Can the Triangle Inequality be applied to any type of triangle?

Yes, the Triangle Inequality applies to all types of triangles, including acute, obtuse, and right triangles. It is a universal property that holds true for all triangles.

4. How can the Triangle Inequality be used in real-life situations?

The Triangle Inequality has practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, architecture, and navigation. For example, it can be used to determine the shortest distance between two points, or to ensure the stability of a structure.

5. Are there any other names for the Triangle Inequality?

Yes, the Triangle Inequality is also known as the Triangle Inequality Theorem or the Side-Side-Side Inequality. It is also sometimes referred to as the Triangle Sum Inequality because it states that the sum of two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side.