Prove tthat tan 50 * tan 60 * tan 70 = tan 80

• Thread starter no name
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tan
In summary, the conversation revolved around proving the equation tan 50 * tan 60 * tan 70 = tan 80, with the use of identities and mathematical formulas. The participants also discussed the elegance of the proof and the potential for a play on words.
no name
hiiiiiiiiiii
i am here with a very tough question
prove tthat
tan 50 * tan 60 * tan 70 = tan 80
cheers
abc

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure I get
50*Tan[60]*Tan[70] = 19.538
Tan[80]=9.00365
If in radians and the below if in degrees:
50*Tan[60]*Tan[70] = 237.939
Tan[80]=5.67128

A play on words maybe I am not catching it anyone else?

Edit: oops, Thanks gerben.

Last edited:
tan 50 * tan 60 * tan 70 = tan 80 (in degrees)
Not
50 * tan 60 * tan 70 = tan 80

Icebreaker, you simply show that the quantities are equal to within whatever error Google's calculator computes things. I think the proof should involve the use of the following identity (with x = 10) :

[tex]\tan (nx) = \frac{\tan [(n - 1)x] + \tan (x)}{1 - \tan [(n - 1)x]\tan (x)}[/tex]

We know tan(a+b)=(tan(a)+tan(b))/(1-tan(a)tan(b))

So tan(60+x)=(tan(60)+tan(x))/(1-tan(60)tan(x)) -- all numbers in degrees

with a corresponding formula for tan(60-x). Multiplying the two, using tan(60)^2=3 and putting t=tan(x)

tan(60-x)tan(60+x)=(3+t^2)/(1-3t^2)

Now putting x=10 degrees, and so t=tan(10)
we have tan(30)=(3t-t^3)/(1-3t^2) and tan(60)=1/tan(30) so

tan(50)tan(60)tan(70)=[(3+t^2)/(1-3^t^2)]/[(3t-t^3)/(1-3t^2)]=1/t
=1/tan(10)=tan(80)

Related to Prove tthat tan 50 * tan 60 * tan 70 = tan 80

1. What is the mathematical proof for the statement "tan 50 * tan 60 * tan 70 = tan 80"?

The proof for this statement involves using trigonometric identities and the properties of tangent. One approach is to use the identity tan(A+B) = (tan A + tan B) / (1 - tan A * tan B). By setting A = 60 degrees and B = 70 degrees, we can rewrite the left side of the equation as tan(60+70) = tan 130. Then, using the identity tan(180 - x) = -tan x, we can rewrite this as -tan 50. On the right side of the equation, we have tan 80. By equating the two expressions, we get -tan 50 = tan 80, which can be rearranged to give tan 50 * tan 60 * tan 70 = tan 80.

2. How can I intuitively understand the statement "tan 50 * tan 60 * tan 70 = tan 80"?

One way to intuitively understand this statement is by visualizing the angles on the unit circle. The tangent of an angle is equal to the length of the opposite side divided by the length of the adjacent side. In this case, we can imagine a right triangle with one angle measuring 50 degrees, another measuring 60 degrees, and a third measuring 70 degrees. By using the Pythagorean theorem, we can calculate the lengths of the sides of this triangle, and see that the product of the tangents of the three angles is equal to the tangent of the remaining angle, 80 degrees.

3. Is there a real-life application for the statement "tan 50 * tan 60 * tan 70 = tan 80"?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for this statement. One example is in navigation and surveying. If you know the distance between two points and the angles between those points and a third reference point, you can use this statement to calculate the distance from the reference point to the third point.

4. Can this statement be generalized to other angles besides 50, 60, 70, and 80 degrees?

Yes, this statement can be generalized to other angles, as long as they follow a specific pattern. The product of the tangents of any three angles that add up to 180 degrees will be equal to the tangent of the remaining angle. For example, tan 30 * tan 45 * tan 105 = tan 150.

5. How can I use this statement to solve trigonometric equations?

This statement can be used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations involving tangents. By rewriting the equation in terms of tangent and using the identity tan(A+B) = (tan A + tan B) / (1 - tan A * tan B), you can manipulate the equation to isolate the tangent on one side. Then, by taking the inverse tangent (or arctan) of both sides, you can solve for the angle.