Prove Trig Identity: Step-by-Step Guide

So:cos(3x)cos(x) - six(x)sin(3x) = cos (4x) = cos^2 2x - sin^2 2xThanks all.In summary, the problem is to prove the identity using the given equations and the attempt at a solution is to use the angle sum and double angle formulas for cosine to simplify and eventually reach the desired identity.
Aaron H.

Homework Statement

Prove the identity.

Homework Equations

http://postimage.org/image/vjhwki1ax/

The Attempt at a Solution

http://s13.postimage.org/jkhubi4lz/DSC03534.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Speaking only for myself, I would be more inclined to help out if I didn't have to open one link to see the problem, and open another link to see what you did.

I noticed that after all of your work, you got the problem to cos(3x)cos(x)-sin(x)sin(3x).

Using sec(x) = 1/cos(x) and csc(x) = 1/sin(x);

cos(3x)/sec(x) - sin(x)/csc(3x)
cos(3x)/(1/cos(x)) - sin(x)/(1/sin(3x))
cos(3x)cos(x) - six(x)sin(3x)

Villyer said:
I noticed that after all of your work, you got the problem to cos(3x)cos(x)-sin(x)sin(3x).

I can't view his solution. But if he's already got it into that form, he can just use the angle sum formula for cosine to express that as [itex]\cos kx[/itex], where k is some positive integer (which he needs to work out). Then use the double angle formula for cosine to split it up again, yielding the required proof.

Villyer said:
Using sec(x) = 1/cos(x) and csc(x) = 1/sin(x);

cos(3x)/sec(x) - sin(x)/csc(3x)
cos(3x)/(1/cos(x)) - sin(x)/(1/sin(3x))

Curious3141 said:
I can't view his solution.
Looking at the OP's solution, the OP went the complicated route to go from the LHS to the bolded part above. Villyer just simplified the process.

cos (4x)

cos^2 2x - sin^2 2x

Thanks all.

Aaron H. said:

cos (4x)

cos^2 2x - sin^2 2x

Thanks all.

Looks great, but you might want to put "=" signs in between the lines.

Related to Prove Trig Identity: Step-by-Step Guide

1. How do I prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you need to use the basic trigonometric identities, algebraic manipulation, and sometimes the unit circle. It is important to start with one side of the equation and manipulate it until it matches the other side. This step-by-step guide will walk you through the process.

2. What are the basic trigonometric identities?

The basic trigonometric identities are sine, cosine, and tangent. They are defined as:

• Sine (sin): opposite/hypotenuse
  • Cosine (cos): adjacent/hypotenuse
  • Tangent (tan): opposite/adjacent

4. What is algebraic manipulation?

Algebraic manipulation involves using algebraic properties and rules to simplify and transform an equation. Some common techniques include using the distributive property, combining like terms, and factoring.

4. How do I use the unit circle to prove a trigonometric identity?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 that is centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. It is used to relate the values of sine, cosine, and tangent to the coordinates on the circle. To use the unit circle to prove a trigonometric identity, you may need to convert trigonometric functions into their corresponding coordinates on the unit circle.

5. What is the purpose of proving a trigonometric identity?

Proving a trigonometric identity helps to establish the relationship between different trigonometric functions and to show that they are equivalent. It also allows for the simplification of complex trigonometric expressions and can be useful in solving trigonometric equations and problems.