Trig identities, prove (cot(x)-tan(x)=2tan(2x))

In summary, the conversation is about proving the equation cot(x) - tan(x) = 2tan(2x) using trig identities. The attempt at a solution shows that the equation is not true, as the left side is equal to 0 while the right side is undefined for x=π/4. It is concluded that the equation is most likely a mistake and not a trick question.
noahsdev

Homework Statement

Prove cot(x) - tan(x) = 2tan(2x)

Homework Equations

Trig identities
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked it down and don't think they are equal. I think it's supposed to be 2cot(2x) not 2tan(2x), that is what I found. Am I correct or what have I done wrong?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,312
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I get the same result as you, although your calculation was a lot more complicated. If you let x=π/4, the LHS is zero while the RHS is undefined. So it cannot be 2tan(2x) for the equation to be an identity.

Thanks for the fast reply, my teacher wanted full working with identities so that's why it's in long form. I am not sure if it is a mistake or if it is a trick question, thanks.

noahsdev said:
Thanks for the fast reply, my teacher wanted full working with identities so that's why it's in long form. I am not sure if it is a mistake or if it is a trick question, thanks.
Most likely a mistake unless the question wanted you to find what particular subset of x satisfies the equation. But if it says 'Prove..' then that is not the case.

Related to Trig identities, prove (cot(x)-tan(x)=2tan(2x))

What are trig identities?

Trig identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, and cotangent. These identities can be used to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions.

What is the difference between cotangent and tangent?

Cotangent (cot) and tangent (tan) are both trigonometric functions, but they have different definitions. Cotangent is the ratio of the adjacent side to the opposite side in a right triangle, while tangent is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

How do you prove a trig identity?

To prove a trig identity, you must manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric properties until it is equivalent to the other side. This can involve using common trig identities, factoring, or applying trigonometric identities such as the Pythagorean identity.

What is the Pythagorean identity?

The Pythagorean identity, also known as the fundamental trigonometric identity, states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This can be written as sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1.

How do you prove (cot(x)-tan(x)=2tan(2x))?

To prove this trig identity, you can start by using the double angle identity for tangent (tan(2x) = 2tan(x)/(1-tan^2(x))). Then, you can substitute this into the original equation and use the Pythagorean identity to simplify the expression until both sides are equivalent.