Prove three points P, A and C are collinear

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem about a triangle $PQR$ and an interior point $A$ with certain angle conditions. The task is to prove that three points, $P,\,A,\,C$, are collinear. After a typo in the original problem, the conversation provides a correct version and two solutions, one of which is illustrated with a diagram. The solution involves constructing various elements and using angle properties to show that three line segments are collinear.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $PQR$ be a triangle and let $A$ be an interior point such that $\angle QAR=90^{\circ}$, $\angle QBA=\angle QRA$.

Let $B,\,C$ be the midpoints of $PR,\,QR$ respectively. Suppose $QA=2AB$, prove that $P,\,A,\,C$ are collinear.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Let $PQR$ be a triangle and let $A$ be an interior point such that $\angle QAR=90^{\circ}$, $\angle QBA=\angle QRA$.

Let $B,\,C$ be the midpoints of $PR,\,QR$ respectively. Suppose $QA=2AB$, prove that $P,\,A,\,C$ are collinear.
from the diagram it is clear :
[FONT=MathJax_Math-Web]P[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main-Web],[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-Web]A[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main-Web],[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-Web]C[/FONT] are collinear.

View attachment 4345

Attachments

• collinear.jpg
    collinear.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:
Albert said:
from the diagram it is clear :
[FONT=MathJax_Math-Web]P[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main-Web],[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-Web]A[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main-Web],[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-Web]C[/FONT] are collinear...

Hello Albert,

I don't think it is enough to post a diagram, and state that based on the diagram, the result is "clear." A diagram can be a useful aid, but it should at most be a supplement to a proof, not the proof itself.

I think the diagram should be accompanied by stated reasoning that inexorably leads to the desired conclusion. :D

explanation of previous diagram:
$\triangle GAH , \triangle QAC $ both are equilateral triangles
$\therefore \angle GAH=\angle AQC=60^o$
in $\triangle PQC : \angle Q=90^o, \angle PCQ=2x=60^o$
$\therefore \angle QPC=30^o$
also in $\triangle PQA$ :$\angle PAQ=180^o-30^o-30^o=120^o$
and we have :$\angle QAC +\angle PAQ=60^o+120^o=180^o$
so points $P,A,C $ are collinear

Words and tears aren't enough to tell how sorry I am as I just realized I have been posted a problem with a typo and that consequently changed the structure and meaning of the original problem entirely. This problem actually is a good India Olympiad Math Contest problem, but I bungled it with a typo. I am truly sorry.(Sadface)

I have certainly wasted a good time of those who attempted at this problem, for that I apologize. (Tmi)

The problem should read:

anemone said:
Let $PQR$ be a triangle and let $A$ be an interior point such that $\angle QAR=90^{\circ}$, \(\displaystyle \color{yellow}\bbox[5px,purple]{\angle QPA=\angle QRA}\).

please upload your original diagram

Attachments

• PAC collinear.JPG
    PAC collinear.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 52

Attachments

• collinear.jpg
    collinear.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 55
Thank you Albert for your solution!

But, I don't think the given info suffices to deem the point $A$ as the barycenter of the triangle $PQR$; also, I don't quite follow how $\angle CAR=y$?:confused: I mean, of course $\angle CAR=y$, but, don't we have to prove that first before claiming such is the case?

anemone said:

But, I don't think the given info suffices to deem the point $A$ as the barycenter of the triangle $PQR$; also, I don't quite follow how $\angle CAR=y$?:confused: I mean, of course $\angle CAR=y$, but, don't we have to prove that first before claiming such is the case?
point A on circle C
AC=CR=QC, for
$\angle QAR=90^o$

anemone said:

yes,you are right ,point A does not have to be the barycenter of triangle $PQR$ , but always lie on segment PC
(the prove and diagram is simiar to post #8)
in special case it will switch to its barycenter

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 4350

$\triangle PQC $ and $\triangle RQI$
$\theta=\beta+y$
$\angle CAR=\angle ARC= \angle QPA=\angle PAI=y$
for $\triangle PAI $ is similar to $\triangle RAC$
in this diagram point $A'$ is the barycenter of $\triangle PQR$
and point $A$ lies on segment PC ,is what we want
$\therefore$ point $P,A,C $ collinear

Attachments

• collinear.jpg
    collinear.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 54
Thanks Albert for your explanation and the second submission of the solution.

Here is the solution of other that I want to share:

View attachment 4352

Extend $RA$ such that $RA=AS$. Let $\angle QRA=\angle QPA=\theta$.

Observe that $QA$ is the perpendicular bisector of $RS$. Hence $QR=QS$ and $QRS$ is an isoceles triangle. Thus, $\angle QSA=\theta$. But then $\angle QSA=\angle QPA=\theta$. This implies that $Q,\,A,\,P,\,S$ all lie on a circle. In turn, we conclude that $\angle QAS=\angle QPS=90^{\circ}$.

View attachment 4353

Since $A$ is the midpoint of $RS$ (by construction) and $B$ is the midpoint of $PR$ (given), it follows that $AB$ is parallel to $SP$ and $SP=2AB=QA$. Thus, $QAPS$ is an isosceles trapezium and $SQ$ is parallel to $AP$.

We hence get $\angle SAP=\angle QPA=\angle QRA=\angle CAR$.

The last equality follows from the fact that $\angle QAR=90^{\circ}$, and $C$ is the midpoint of $QR$ so that $CA=CR=CQ$ for the right-angled triangle $QAR$.

It follows that $P,\,A,\,C$ are collinear.

Attachments

• PAC collinear_2.JPG
    PAC collinear_2.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 47
  • PAC collinear_3.JPG
    PAC collinear_3.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 52
anemone said:
Here is the solution of other that I want to share:

Extend $RA$ such that $RA=AS$. Let $\angle QRA=\angle QPA=\theta$.

Observe that $QA$ is the perpendicular bisector of $RS$. Hence $QR=QS$ and $QRS$ is an isoceles triangle. Thus, $\angle QSA=\theta$. But then $\angle QSA=\angle QPA=\theta$. This implies that $Q,\,A,\,P,\,S$ all lie on a circle. In turn, we conclude that $\angle QAS=\angle QPS=90^{\circ}$.
Since $A$ is the midpoint of $RS$ (by construction) and $B$ is the midpoint of $PR$ (given), it follows that $AB$ is parallel to $SP$ and $SP=2AB=QA$. Thus, $QAPS$ is an isosceles trapezium and $SQ$ is parallel to $AP$.

We hence get $\angle SAP=\angle QPA=\angle QRA=\angle CAR$.

The last equality follows from the fact that $\angle QAR=90^{\circ}$, and $C$ is the midpoint of $QR$ so that $CA=CR=CQ$ for the right-angled triangle $QAR$.

It follows that $P,\,A,\,C$ are collinear.
That is a beautiful proof! I drew this diagram to help me understand it:
[sp]

The aim is to show that the blue and red line segments are collinear. The green elements are those constructed for the proof. At the point $A$, the angle between $AP$ and $AS$ is $\theta$, the angle between $AS$ and $AQ$ is $90^\circ$, and the angle between $AQ$ and $AC$ is $90^\circ - \theta$. Their sum is $180^\circ$, as required. [/sp]

Attachments

• collinear.jpg
    collinear.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 41

Related to Prove three points P, A and C are collinear

1. How do you prove that three points are collinear?

To prove that three points P, A, and C are collinear, you need to show that they lie on the same line. This can be done by showing that the slope between any two of the points is the same. If the slope is the same, then the three points are on the same line and are therefore collinear.

2. What is the definition of collinear points?

Collinear points are points that lie on the same line. This means that they have the same slope when connected with a line, and therefore, they can be represented as points on a single line.

3. Can three points be collinear if they are not on the same line?

No, three points cannot be collinear if they are not on the same line. Collinear points, by definition, must lie on the same line. If the three points are not on the same line, then they cannot be considered collinear.

4. What are some methods for proving collinearity?

Some methods for proving collinearity include finding the slope between any two points and showing that it is the same, using the distance formula to show that the points are equidistant, and using the midpoint formula to show that the points are in the same line segment.

5. Why is it important to prove that three points are collinear?

Proving that three points are collinear is important because it helps to establish the relationship between the points and can be used to solve various mathematical problems. It also helps to visualize and understand geometric concepts, such as lines and planes, and their properties.