Angle RAB in Triangle PQR: 84°, 78°, 48°, 63°

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the conversation is about finding the measure of angle RAB in a triangle PQR with given angle measurements and points A and B on the triangle's sides. The final solution is that angle RAB measures 81 degrees.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
In a triangle $PQR$, $\angle P=84^{\circ}$, $\angle R=78^{\circ}$. Points $A$ and $B$ are on $PQ$ and $QR$ so that $\angle PRA=48^{\circ}$ and $\angle RPE=63^{\circ}$.

What is the measure of $\angle RAB$?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
In a triangle $PQR$, $\angle P=84^{\circ}$, $\angle R=78^{\circ}$. Points $A$ and $B$ are on $PQ$ and $QR$ so that $\angle PRA=48^{\circ}$ and $\angle RPB=63^{\circ}$.

What is the measure of $\angle RAB$?

My solution:

Attachments

• Angle RAB.jpg
    Angle RAB.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't quite follow Albert's solution.

The following also uses the circumcircle of triangle RAB. Also it's written as a slight generalization. It is critical that angle ARQ is 30 degrees. The original problem has $\theta$ equal to 21. So angle RAB is 81.
sl4dqx.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Angle of RAB.jpg
    Angle of RAB.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Albert,
I understand perfectly if quadrilateral PDAB is cyclic. This was my original problem, and I still can't see why it's true.

johng said:
Albert,
I understand perfectly if quadrilateral PDAB is cyclic. This was my original problem, and I still can't see why it's true.
RDAB is cyclic not PDAB

Albert,
Sorry, it was a typo. My problem is: why is quadrilateral RDAB cycliC? I can prove this only by knowing the answer.

johng said:
I couldn't quite follow Albert's solution.

The following also uses the circumcircle of triangle RAB. Also it's written as a slight generalization. It is critical that angle ARQ is 30 degrees. The original problem has $\theta$ equal to 21. So angle RAB is 81.

Thanks, johng for participating and your solution is correct, well done!:)
Albert said:
cyclic-quadrilateral-and-its-properties:
Cyclic Quadrilateral and its Properties | TutorNext.com#

Hi Albert,

First, thanks for participating in this challenge problem of mine.:)

But, looking at your solution, if you mean to verify that the specific quadrilateral RDAB is a cyclic quadrilateral by first showing the sum of the opposite angles in it are supplementary, then I am unable to follow it.:confused:

Albert said:
johng:
Can you follow my solution now ?
anemone:
If you are still unable to follow it,I will use the following method (forget the circle)
$x=\angle DRA=30^o=\angle ARB$
$\angle ABQ=x+y=111^o=63+18+x=63^o+48^o$
$\angle RAB=111-30=81^o=y$

Last edited:

Related to Angle RAB in Triangle PQR: 84°, 78°, 48°, 63°

1. What is the measure of angle RAB in Triangle PQR?

The measure of angle RAB in Triangle PQR is 84°.

2. What are the other angles in Triangle PQR?

The other angles in Triangle PQR are 78°, 48°, and 63°.

3. Is Triangle PQR a right triangle?

No, Triangle PQR is not a right triangle. A right triangle has one angle that measures 90°, and none of the angles in this triangle meet that criteria.

4. What is the sum of the angles in Triangle PQR?

The sum of the angles in Triangle PQR is 273°. This can be found by adding together all four angle measures (84° + 78° + 48° + 63°).

5. How do you find the missing angle in Triangle PQR?

To find the missing angle in Triangle PQR, you can use the fact that the sum of all three angles in a triangle is 180°. So, the missing angle can be found by subtracting the sum of the known angles (273°) from 180°. In this case, the missing angle would be 180° - 273° = -93°. However, since angles cannot be negative, we can conclude that there is no missing angle in Triangle PQR.