Prove this recursively defined sequence goes to 0

• Thread starter Ryker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, we are asked to show that 2^(n^1001)|a_n-a_infinity| converges to 0 as n approaches infinity, where an is defined recursively and a_infinity is given. We are given a hint to consider the sequence (yn) = (an-a_infinity)/(an+a_infinity). By defining yn+1 = yn^2, we can see that yn = y1^(2^n) and we can use this to show that the above sequence converges to 0 pointwise. The domain is the real numbers, with x > 0.
Ryker

Homework Statement

Show that [itex]2^{n^{1001}} |a_{n} - a_{\infty}| \rightarrow 0 [/itex] as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty. [/itex]

Here, an is defined recursively by [itex]a_{1} = 1, a_{n+1} = \frac{1}{2}(a_{n}+\frac{x}{a_{n}}).[/itex]

I already know that [itex]a_{\infty} = \sqrt{x}.[/itex]

Homework Equations

We are given a hint to consider [itex](y_{n}) = \frac{a_{n} - a_{\infty}}{a_{n} + a_{\infty}}.[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I considered the hint, and by defining the sequence in the hint to be (yn) I got that yn+1 = yn2. However, I don't know how to proceed and show that the above sequence goes to zero. I know [itex]a_{n} - a_{\infty} \rightarrow 0[/itex] by definition, but I don't see how that yn thing helps. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? :frown:

OK, one final bump, and then I give up. But from the lack of responses I see I'm not the only one really puzzled by this problem.

Basically, I need to find a way to show (an) as defined above converges faster than (2n)1001 diverges.

You haven't mentioned the domain of the functions in [itex](a_n)[/itex]. It should probably not contain 0, as I think the quantity in question doesn't converge for [itex]x=0[/itex].

I haven't checked it, but I assume that [itex]y_{n+1}=y_n^2[/itex] is correct. This implies that [itex]y_{n}=y_1^{2^n}[/itex]. Moreover, we can calculate that [itex]|y_1|< 1[/itex] from the definition of [itex](y_n)[/itex] and the fact that [itex]x\neq 0[/itex]. Now [tex]\begin{eqnarray}
2^{n^{1001}} |a_{n} - a_{\infty}| &=& 2^{n^{1001}} |a_{n} + a_{\infty}|||y_n| \nonumber \\
&\leq& 2^{n^{1001}} |2\sqrt{x}||y_n| \nonumber \\
&=& 2^{n^{1001}} |2\sqrt{x}||y_1^{2^n}| \nonumber \\
&=& 2^{n^{1001}} |2\sqrt{x}||y_1|^{2^n}
\end{eqnarray}.[/tex]
Can you carry on from here to prove that this must converge to 0 pointwise? And if you can, is the convergence uniform?

Hi Mr. Miyagi, and thanks for the response! Even though the homework due date has now already past, I appreciate the input. And in fact, after four hours of wracking my brain on how to do this, I did indeed finally come to the same conclusion as you did, and essentially used the fact that exponentials rise faster than polynomials. I feel really stupid for needing such a long time to figure that out, but eh...

Oh, and the domain is the real numbers, but x must be greater than zero.

Related to Prove this recursively defined sequence goes to 0

1. What is a recursively defined sequence?

A recursively defined sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is defined in terms of the previous terms in the sequence. This means that in order to find the next term in the sequence, you must use the previous terms and a specific rule or formula.

2. How can you prove that a recursively defined sequence goes to 0?

In order to prove that a recursively defined sequence goes to 0, you can use the principle of mathematical induction. This involves showing that the sequence approaches 0 as the number of terms increases, and then proving that the rule or formula used to generate the terms guarantees that the sequence will always approach 0.

3. What is the principle of mathematical induction?

The principle of mathematical induction is a method used to prove statements about integers or sequences. It involves showing that a statement is true for a specific integer (usually the first one), and then proving that if the statement is true for any given integer, it must also be true for the next integer.

4. Can a recursively defined sequence go to a number other than 0?

Yes, a recursively defined sequence can go to a number other than 0. The formula or rule used to generate the terms of the sequence will determine what number the sequence approaches.

5. Are there other methods for proving that a recursively defined sequence goes to 0?

Yes, there are other methods for proving that a recursively defined sequence goes to 0, such as using the squeeze theorem or the monotone convergence theorem. These methods may be more appropriate for certain types of sequences.