Prove this inequality with binomial

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem that involves proving an inequality using the induction principle. The attempt at a solution involves simplifying the expression and using small values of n to continue the proof. The speaker asks for assistance in completing the proof.
Mathitalian

Homework Statement

Prove that

[itex]\sum_{k=0}^n {3k\choose k}\ge \frac{5^n-1}{4}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]{3k\choose k}= \frac{(3k)!}{k!(2k)!}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the induction principle, but...

Here my attempt:

For [itex]n=0[/itex] 1>0 ok

Suppose that is true for [itex]n[/itex], i.e.:

[itex]\sum_{k=0}^n {3k\choose k}\ge \frac{5^n-1}{4}[/itex]

Now:

[itex]\sum_{k=0}^{n+1} {3k\choose k}= \sum_{k=0}^{n} {3k\choose k}+ {3(n+1)\choose (n+1)}\ge \frac{5^n-1}{4}+{3(n+1)\choose (n+1)}[/itex]

But now I don't know what to do, maybe it is not the correct way to show this... I need your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Please, can someone help me? I think that it exists a different way to prove this inequality, but I don't know how to proceed :(

What you actually need to show is that C(3(n+1),(n+1))>=(5^(n+1)-1)/4-(5^n-1)/4. Do you see why? You can definitely simplify the right side a lot. Now look at both sides for small values of n. Can you see how to continue? Think about it. I haven't much beyond this. Help me!

Last edited:

Related to Prove this inequality with binomial

1. How do you prove an inequality with binomial?

To prove an inequality with binomial, you can use the Binomial Theorem or the Binomial Expansion method. The Binomial Theorem states that for any real numbers a and b, and any positive integer n, the following inequality holds: $(a+b)^n \geq a^n + b^n$. This can be used to prove inequalities by expanding the binomial expression and simplifying it to show that it is greater than or equal to the original expression.

2. Can you give an example of proving an inequality with binomial?

Sure, let's say we want to prove that $(2+3)^4 \geq 2^4 + 3^4$. Using the Binomial Theorem, we can expand $(2+3)^4$ to get $2^4 + 4\cdot 2^3\cdot 3 + 6\cdot 2^2\cdot 3^2 + 4\cdot 2\cdot 3^3 + 3^4$. Simplifying this, we get $2^4 + 4\cdot 2^3\cdot 3 + 6\cdot 2^2\cdot 3^2 + 4\cdot 2\cdot 3^3 + 3^4 = 16 + 96 + 216 + 108 + 81 = 517$. Since this is greater than or equal to $2^4 + 3^4 = 16 + 81 = 97$, we have proven the inequality.

3. What are some other methods for proving inequalities?

Besides using the Binomial Theorem, there are other methods for proving inequalities such as induction, direct proof, and contradiction. Each method may be more suitable for different types of inequalities, so it is important to choose the most appropriate method for each problem.

4. How can you determine if an inequality is true or false?

To determine if an inequality is true or false, you can use various mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation, graphing, or numerical methods. It is also important to check if the inequality holds for all values in the given domain and if it satisfies any special cases.

5. Can inequalities with binomial be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, inequalities with binomial can be applied in various real-life situations such as in finance, statistics, and economics. For example, the Binomial Theorem can be used in calculating compound interest or in analyzing probability distributions. It can also be used in decision-making processes to determine the most favorable outcome.