Prove the open ball B(x,r) is a subset of B(x',r') iff d(x,x')<r'-r

• Thread starter ghelman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the problem is to prove that B(x,r) is a subset of B(x',r') if and only if d(x,x')<r'-r, where d is a measure function. The proof for one direction is straightforward, but the other direction is more challenging. It involves using the point at the center of an open ball as an element of the open ball and finding the point that is farthest from x'.
ghelman
As stated, the problem is to prove B(x,r) is a subset of B(x',r') if and only if d(x,x')<r'-r, where d is a measure function. The proof going one direction seems pretty simple, but I can not figure out the other direction

Attempt at answer

<=

Assume d(x,x') < r'-r.
Assume a is an element of B(x,r).
Then d(x,x') < r'-r implies d(x,x') + r < r' implies d(x,x') + d(x,a) < r' as d(x,a) < r.
This implies that d(x',a) < r' by use of the triangle inequality, and thus a is an element of B(x',r').

=>

Let a be an element of B(x,r).
Then a is an element of B(x',r').
So d(x,a)<r and d(x',a)<r'.
This implies that d(x',a)-d(x,a) < r'-r

This would almost suggest a use of the reverse triangle inequality, but the inequality is pointing the wrong direction to use here. I am not sure how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this is a textbook-style problem, I'm moving the thread to the calculus & beyond homework forum. You should post questions about textbook-style questions there, and questions about concepts, definitions and theorems in the topology & analysis forum.

Your proof of the first implication is fine, but can be made a bit prettier:

Suppose that ##d(x,x')<r'-r##. Let ##a\in B(x,r)## be arbitrary. Then
$$d(a,x')\leq d(a,x)+d(x,x')<r+(r'-r)=r'.$$ To prove the other implication, use that the point at the center of an open ball is an element of the open ball.

Sorry about putting the thread in the wrong place. I will be sure to put it in the right place next time.

Ok, so since B(x,r) is a subset of B(x',r'), we know that x is an element of B(x',r').
This implies that d(x,x') < r'.

But we need d(x,x') < r' - r

I'm not exactly sure how to proceed from that point. Intuitively, it seems like we want to use the point in B(x,r) that is farthest from x'. However, I have no idea how to find that point.

ghelman said:
Ok, so since B(x,r) is a subset of B(x',r'), we know that x is an element of B(x',r').
This implies that d(x,x') < r'.

But we need d(x,x') < r' - r
You're right, that was a mistake on my part. I forgot what we were trying to prove, exactly as your post suggests. Unfortunately I don't have time to think this through right now. I'll have another look tomorrow if this isn't solved by then.

No sweat. Thank you for the help so far!

Related to Prove the open ball B(x,r) is a subset of B(x',r') iff d(x,x')<r'-r

1. What does "Prove the open ball B(x,r) is a subset of B(x',r') iff d(x,x')

The statement means that the open ball B(x,r) with center x and radius r is a subset of the open ball B(x',r') with center x' and radius r' if and only if the distance between x and x' is less than the difference between r' and r.

2. What is an open ball?

An open ball is a set of points that are all within a certain distance from a given point, called the center, and this distance is called the radius. The open ball does not include the boundary points, only the points within the specified distance.

3. How do you prove that one open ball is a subset of another?

To prove that one open ball B(x,r) is a subset of another open ball B(x',r'), we need to show that every point in B(x,r) is also in B(x',r'). This can be done by showing that the distance between any point in B(x,r) and x' is less than r'-r.

4. What is the significance of the distance between the centers in this statement?

The distance between the centers, d(x,x'), is a crucial factor in determining whether one open ball is a subset of another. It must be less than the difference between the radii, r'-r, for the statement to hold true.

5. Can this statement be applied to other shapes besides open balls?

Yes, this statement can be applied to other shapes besides open balls, as long as they have a well-defined center and radius. However, the specific condition of d(x,x')