Prove the multivariable does not exist?

In summary, in order for the function xy/(x-y) to have a limit as (x,y) → (0,0), both the numerator and denominator must approach the same value as (x,y) approaches (0,0). In this case, since both the numerator and denominator approach 0, the limit does exist. However, it is important to understand the concept of a function going to a limit in order to properly prove it.
youngronn
1. I know both dne but how can i prove it? I am not getting any solid answers? help please!

(x,y) to (0,0)
1. ((x^2)y+x(y^2))/((x^2)-(y^2))
2. (x+y)/((x^2)+y+(y^2))

2. 1. Simplified down to xy/(x-y)
2. Simplified down to x/(x^2+y^2+y) + 1/((y+1)+x^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
youngronn said:
1. I know both dne but how can i prove it? I am not getting any solid answers? help please!

(x,y) to (0,0)
1. ((x^2)y+x(y^2))/((x^2)-(y^2))
2. (x+y)/((x^2)+y+(y^2))

2. 1. Simplified down to xy/(x-y)
2. Simplified down to x/(x^2+y^2+y) + 1/((y+1)+x^2)

What would need to happen in order for xy/(x-y) to have a limit as (x,y) → (0,0)? Does that happen in this case?

So, your very first step is to make sure you understand what is meant by a function going to a limit---if you do not understand that you are defeated right from the start.

Related to Prove the multivariable does not exist?

1. What is a multivariable?

A multivariable is a mathematical concept that refers to a function with more than one independent variable. It is also known as a multivariate function.

2. How do you prove that a multivariable does not exist?

To prove that a multivariable does not exist, you must show that it is not possible to find a function that satisfies all the given conditions or constraints. This can be done through various mathematical techniques such as contradiction or counterexample.

3. What is the importance of proving that a multivariable does not exist?

Proving that a multivariable does not exist can be important in mathematics as it helps to clarify the limitations and boundaries of a certain concept or theory. It also allows for a better understanding of the properties and behaviors of multivariable functions.

4. Can a multivariable exist in real-world scenarios?

Yes, multivariables can exist in real-world scenarios. In fact, many natural phenomena and systems can be described by multivariable functions. For example, the motion of a car can be described by a function with variables such as time, distance, velocity, and acceleration.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about the existence of multivariables?

One common misconception is that all functions with multiple variables are considered multivariables. However, this is not always the case as some functions with multiple variables can be simplified into a single variable function. It is important to carefully define and understand the concept of multivariables in mathematics.