Prove the inverse function theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and continuity of f' on a nonempty, open interval (a,b) with f'(x) \neq 0 for all x \in (a,b). It is proven that f is 1-1 on (a,b) and takes (a,b) onto some open interval (c,d). The first part of the homework asks to show that f^{-1} is continuously differentiable on (c,d), while the second part uses the function f(x)=x^3 to show that this may not hold if the assumption f'(x) \neq 0 fails for some x \in (a,b). The conversation also mentions the use of the Inverse Function The
wany

Homework Statement

Suppose that f' exists and is continuous on a nonempty, open interval (a,b) with [itex]f'(x) \neq 0[/itex] for all [itex]x \in (a,b) [/itex].
I already proved that f is 1-1 on (a,b) and takes (a,b) onto some open interval (c,d).
(i)Show that [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is continuously differentiable on (c,d).
(ii)Using the function f(x)=x^3 show that (i) is false if the assumption [itex]f'(x) \neq 0[/itex] fails to hold for some [itex]x \in (a,b) [/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Just to make sure to prove that f is 1-1 I did this through:
Proof by contradiction: suppose f is not 1-1 on (a,b)
therefore the slope must change signs or be 0 for some x in (a,b). So f' must be 0 or change signs. Since f' is continuous f' will =0 for some value. But this is a contradiction. So f has to be 1-1.
since f' exists on (a,b), f:(a,b) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] (c,d).(i)By definition, since f' is continuous on (a,b) then f is continuously differentiable on (a,b).
The Inverse Function Theorem let's us say since f' exists and is continuous on (a,b), that is for any [itex]x \in (a,b) [/itex], f'(x)=y such that [itex]y \in (c,d) [/itex].
Then from this can we say that [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is differentiable on (c,d) or is another step required, such that f is onto (c,d)?

(ii) so I am not sure how to do this but we must show that at some point the derivative of f=0 implies that the inverse of f will not be continuous.

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to relate [tex](f^{-1})'[/tex] to [tex]f'[/tex] and use the properties of [tex]f'[/tex].

So by the inverse function theorem we know that [itex](f^{-1})'(c)=\frac{1}{f'(a)}[/itex]
assuming that c=f(a)

Related to Prove the inverse function theorem

1. What is the inverse function theorem?

The inverse function theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that for a differentiable function, if the derivative of the function at a point is non-zero, then the function has an inverse function that is also differentiable.

2. Why is the inverse function theorem important?

The inverse function theorem is important because it allows us to find the inverse of a function and also proves the existence and differentiability of the inverse function. This theorem is used in many fields of mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and geometry.

3. How do you prove the inverse function theorem?

The inverse function theorem can be proved using the implicit function theorem and the chain rule. It involves showing that the derivative of the inverse function is the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function. This can be done using mathematical induction and the continuity of the derivative.

4. What is the significance of the non-zero derivative in the inverse function theorem?

The non-zero derivative of a function at a point is significant because it ensures that the function is one-to-one at that point. This means that the function has a unique inverse at that point, which is a key requirement for the existence of an inverse function.

5. Can the inverse function theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the inverse function theorem can only be applied to differentiable functions. This means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. If the function is not differentiable, the inverse function theorem cannot be applied.