Prove that the length of this curve is decreasing

In summary, the problem asks us to find the length of a curve as a function of its parameter, t. It asks for a derivative of the length of the curve with respect to t, which is negative. However, the only way to solve this problem is to use the MVT and use the given assumptions.
chipotleaway

Homework Statement

The problem asks us to prove the length of a curve decreases as one of its parameters, t, increases. Here is the full statement

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6560/yf6j.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]L_t=\int_0^1 ||\partial_s x(t,s)||ds[/tex] is the length of the curve as a function of t, for all t greater than 0.

[tex]\partial_t L_t=\int_0^1 \partial_t ||\partial_s x(t,s)||ds[/tex] is the derivative of the length of the curve with respect to t.

The Attempt at a Solution

To show that the length L(t) decreases as t increases, I think we have to show that the derivative of the length L(t) with respect to t is negative, that is, [tex]\partial_t L_t=\int_0^1 \partial_t ||\partial_s x(t,s)||ds < 0[/tex] is negative.

The only strategy I have for the moment is the mean-value theorem which I've seen used to prove inequalities before (e.g. show that sin(x)<x for all x) but so far, I'm still a bit unclear on how to apply it to this situation. The other attempt I've tried was to take the hint, do some substitutions and hope something will pop out but for a 3 mark question, there's no way this method alone will work. I'm also not yet able to see how the information at the start is relevant to doing this problem.

Any helpful pointers will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use all of the given assumptions ... see the "givens" at the bottom of the problem statement!

I've used both the assumption and the hint in my attempt to manipulate it into something I can apply the MVT to...but I'm not sure if this is going down the right path or not, and also I don't have a clear idea of how to get a the desired inequality out of it.

Any more suggestions, anyone?

Related to Prove that the length of this curve is decreasing

1. What does it mean for a curve to be decreasing?

A decreasing curve is one that is getting shorter or smaller over time or distance. This means that the length of the curve is decreasing as you move along it.

2. How do you prove that a curve is decreasing?

To prove that a curve is decreasing, you must show that the length of the curve is decreasing as you move along it. This can be done by calculating the length of the curve at different points and comparing them to each other.

3. What methods can be used to calculate the length of a curve?

There are several methods that can be used to calculate the length of a curve, including the arc length formula, the Pythagorean theorem, and numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.

4. Can a curve be decreasing at some points and increasing at others?

Yes, a curve can be decreasing at some points and increasing at others. This is known as a non-monotonic curve, where the direction of change is not always consistent. In order to prove that the length of the curve is decreasing, you must show that it is decreasing overall, even if there are some sections where it increases.

5. How is proving a curve is decreasing important in scientific research?

Proving that a curve is decreasing is important in scientific research as it can provide valuable information about the behavior of a system. For example, if a curve represents the rate of change of a certain variable, proving that it is decreasing can indicate that the variable is decreasing over time, which can inform future studies or interventions. Additionally, proving that a curve is decreasing can also help support theories or hypotheses about the behavior of a system.