Prove that roots of trig polynomials are denumerable

In summary, the roots of trigonometric polynomials with integer coefficients are denumerable due to the fact that they can be written in the form of ordinary polynomials and the result for ordinary polynomials can be extended to trigonometric polynomials through the use of Euler's formula. This shows that the number of roots in a given period is countable and the number of possible combinations of periods is also countable, resulting in a denumerable number of roots overall.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that the roots of trigonometric polynomials with integer coefficients are denumerable.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The book does not define what a trig polynomial is, but I am assuming it is something of the form ##\displaystyle a_0 + \sum^N_{n=1}a_n \cos (nx) + \sum^N_{n=1}b_n \sin(nx)##. With normal polynomials, we have access to the fundamental theorem of algebra. I am not sure what we have access to; I guess we have access to the fact that the function must be periodic.

My argument might come down to showing that there are a finite number of roots in a period, and showing that there are denumerable periods, which would show that the number of roots is denumerable. Is this on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would do it the other way around. First show that ##\cos nx## and ##\sin nx## have countably many roots, perhaps with Euler's formula, and then show that all possible combinations doesn't change this cardinality, because ##N\cdot \aleph_0 = \aleph_0 + \aleph_0 = \aleph_0 \cdot \aleph_0 = \aleph_0##.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that the roots of trigonometric polynomials with integer coefficients are denumerable.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The book does not define what a trig polynomial is, but I am assuming it is something of the form ##\displaystyle a_0 + \sum^N_{n=1}a_n \cos (nx) + \sum^N_{n=1}b_n \sin(nx)##. With normal polynomials, we have access to the fundamental theorem of algebra. I am not sure what we have access to; I guess we have access to the fact that the function must be periodic.

My argument might come down to showing that there are a finite number of roots in a period, and showing that there are denumerable periods, which would show that the number of roots is denumerable. Is this on the right track?

OK, but if you have proved the result for ordinary polynomials, you have it as well for trig polynomials, because
$$\sin (nx) = \frac{1}{2i} \left( (e^{ix})^n - (e^{ix})^{-n} \right)\; \text{and} \; \cos(nx) = \frac{1}{2} \left( (e^{ix})^n + (e^{ix})^{-n} \right)$$
Thus, if ##z = e^{ix}## we have
$$a_0 + \sum_{n=1}^N (a_n \cos(nx) + b_n \sin(nx) ) = \frac{1}{z^N} \left[ a_0 z^N + \sum_{n=1}^N z^{N-n} \left(\frac{1}{2} a_n (z^{2n}+1) + \frac{1}{2i}b_n (z^{2n} - 1) \right) \right] $$

Last edited:
Likes Mr Davis 97

Related to Prove that roots of trig polynomials are denumerable

1. What does it mean for the roots of trigonometric polynomials to be denumerable?

Denumerable refers to a set that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers (1, 2, 3...). In the context of trigonometric polynomials, it means that the set of all possible roots of these polynomials can be counted and listed in a systematic manner.

2. How can we prove that the roots of trigonometric polynomials are denumerable?

One way to prove that the roots of trigonometric polynomials are denumerable is by showing that they can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. This can be done by constructing a mapping between the two sets and showing that every root of a trigonometric polynomial can be uniquely assigned a natural number.

3. What is the significance of proving that the roots of trigonometric polynomials are denumerable?

Proving that the roots of trigonometric polynomials are denumerable is important because it helps us understand the nature of these polynomials and their solutions. It also has applications in various fields such as signal processing, physics, and engineering.

4. Can all trigonometric polynomials have denumerable roots?

Yes, all trigonometric polynomials can have denumerable roots. This is because the set of all possible roots of these polynomials is infinite and countable, which makes it denumerable.

5. How does the denumerability of roots of trigonometric polynomials relate to their complexity?

The denumerability of roots of trigonometric polynomials does not necessarily indicate their complexity. A polynomial with a denumerable set of roots can still be relatively simple, while a polynomial with a finite set of roots can be highly complex. The complexity of a trigonometric polynomial is determined by various factors such as its degree, coefficients, and the specific form of the polynomial.