Prove roots lie inside the unit circle

If so, you can use that to show that all the zeros of P(z) are inside the unit disk. In summary, by considering (1-z)P(z) and setting it equal to 0, we can use Rouches theorem to show that all the zeros of P(z) are inside the unit disk.
rioo

Homework Statement

Let P(z)=1+2z+3z^2+...nz^(n-1). By considering (1-z)P(z) show that all the zeros of P(z) are inside the unit disk

Homework Equations

None given..

The Attempt at a Solution

Well (1-z)P(z) = 1+z+z^2+...+nz^n
and to find roots I set it to 0:
1+z+z^2+...+nz^n = 0
This is a geometric series of z^n from z^0 to z^n-1 plus nz^n, so
(1-z^n)/(1-z) + nz^n = 0
1-(1-n)z^n-nz^(n+1) = 0

I have no idea where to go from here, we did nothing in class that gives me much idea where to go. we did some convergense stuff in class with the M test but that seems worthless here since i want roots, not convergence. am I on the right track with the geometric series or should I try something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you had Rouches theorem in class yet?

Related to Prove roots lie inside the unit circle

What is the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin on a Cartesian coordinate plane. It is often used in mathematics to understand trigonometric functions and their relationships.

Why is it important to prove that roots lie inside the unit circle?

Proving that roots lie inside the unit circle is important because it helps us understand the behavior of complex numbers and their relationship to the unit circle. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing.

What is the definition of a root?

In mathematics, a root of a number is a value that, when multiplied by itself a certain number of times, gives back the original number. For example, 2 is a root of 4 because 2 multiplied by itself is 4.

How do you prove that roots lie inside the unit circle?

To prove that roots lie inside the unit circle, we use the fact that the magnitude of a complex number is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its real and imaginary parts. If the magnitude of a complex number is less than or equal to 1, then the number lies inside the unit circle.

What are the implications of roots lying inside the unit circle?

If the roots of a complex number lie inside the unit circle, it means that the complex number is stable and will not grow without bound when multiplied by itself. This is important in applications where stability is desired, such as in control systems and signal processing.