Prove Prime Ideal Problem: I/J ⊆ P

• Thread starter mathmajor2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, if we have a ring R with ideals I, J, and P, and P is a prime ideal where I intersect J is a subset of P, then either I is a subset of P or J is a subset of P. This holds for an arbitrary finite number of ideals as well.
mathmajor2013
Let R be a ring with ideals I, J, and P. Prove that if P is a prime ideal and I intersect J is a subset of P, then I is a subset of P or J is a subset of P.

Physics news on Phys.org
If i like ab in I intersect J, then ab is in P. Therefore a in P or b in P since P is prime. Neither a or b need be in I intersect J though.

If neither I nor J is contained in P, some element a in I and b in J are neither in P, as you say. But this is a contradiction, since ab is in P and P is prime, hence one of the ideals is contained in P.

Follow-up: Show this for an arbitrary finite number of ideals.

Last edited:
obviously if either I or J is a subset of P, there is nothing to prove. so to negate that, we need some a in I with a NOT in P, AND b in J with b NOT in P.

but since I is an ideal, ab is in I. since J is an ideal ab is in J. therefore ab is in I∩J, and thus in P. since P is prime, either a is in P, contradicting our choice of a, or b is in P, contradicting our choice of b.

the only conclusion is that we cannot pick such a in I AND b in J outside of P, either I or J must lie within P.

Exactly. So if we can pick an a in I not in P, we cannot pick a b in J not in P. Hence if I is not contained in P, J must be contained in P. Oppositely, if J is not contained in P, I must be contained in P.

Related to Prove Prime Ideal Problem: I/J ⊆ P

1. What is a prime ideal?

A prime ideal is a special type of ideal in abstract algebra that shares characteristics with prime numbers in arithmetic. In a commutative ring, an ideal I is considered prime if whenever two elements a and b are multiplied together to get an element c in I, either a or b must also be in I.

2. What does the notation I/J ⊆ P mean?

This notation means that the ideal I/J is a subset of the prime ideal P. In other words, all elements in I/J are also in P.

3. How is the "Prove Prime Ideal Problem" solved?

To solve the "Prove Prime Ideal Problem," one must first show that the ideal I/J is a subset of P. This can be done by showing that for any two elements a and b in I/J, their product is also in P. Additionally, one must also show that P is a prime ideal, meaning that it satisfies the definition of a prime ideal mentioned above.

4. What is the significance of proving a prime ideal?

Proving a prime ideal is important in abstract algebra as it allows for the classification of different types of ideals. Prime ideals have many useful properties that make them valuable in the study of rings and fields. Additionally, prime ideals are closely related to the concept of irreducible elements, which is important in number theory.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the "Prove Prime Ideal Problem"?

While the concept of prime ideals may seem abstract, they have practical applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory. In cryptography, prime ideals are used in the construction of secure cryptographic systems. They also have applications in coding theory, where they are used to construct efficient error-correcting codes.