Prove or disprove whether number is prime using theorem listed in post

In summary, the problem deals with Mersenne numbers 2^p-1 where p is an odd prime, and Mp may or may not be prime. The given theorem states that if p is an odd prime and Mp is not a Mersenne prime, then every divisor of 2^p-1 is of the form 2*c*p+1, where c is a nonnegative integer. Using this theorem, we can determine whether M(13)=2047 and M(23)=8388607 are prime without checking all primes less than their square roots. For M(13), we only need to check primes less than 45.24, and for M(23), we can hope that one of the smaller
lostNfound
So the problem has to deal with Mersenne numbers 2^p-1 where p is a odd prime, and Mp may or may not end up being prime.

The theorem given is:
If p is an odd prime, but Mp=2^p-1 is not a Mersenne prime, then every divisor of the Mersenne number 2^p-1 is of the form 2*c*p+1 where c is a nonnegative integer.

Assuming this theorem is true, I need to somehow use it to determine whether M(13)=2^11-1=2047 and M(23)=2^23-1=8388607 are prime.

I know it's supposed to start with something like "If 2047 is not prime, then we know it must have prime factor <=sqrt(2047) which is about 45.24...but I am unsure of where to go from there.

Help would be awesome!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the first one, M(13)=2047. To check if that's prime you'd ordinarily have to check all of the primes less than 45.24 to see if any divide it. But the theorem tells you you don't have to check all of them. Which ones do you have to check? In the case of M(23) there's a lot more to check, but you can hope that one of the smaller ones will work.

That helps a lot. I'm not sure why I didn't look at it that way before but now I know what was meant by the question. Thanks! I'll let you know if for some reason I get stuck again.

Related to Prove or disprove whether number is prime using theorem listed in post

1. How can I prove whether a number is prime?

There are several ways to prove whether a number is prime. One method is to use a theorem, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, which states that every positive integer can be uniquely expressed as a product of primes. By factoring the number into its prime factors, you can determine if it is prime or not.

2. What is the difference between a theorem and a conjecture?

A theorem is a statement that has been proven to be true using mathematical reasoning and evidence. A conjecture, on the other hand, is an idea or hypothesis that has not yet been proven. In the context of proving whether a number is prime, using a theorem would provide a definitive answer while using a conjecture would require further investigation to confirm its validity.

3. Can a number be both prime and composite?

No, a number cannot be both prime and composite. A prime number is defined as a positive integer that has exactly two divisors, 1 and itself. A composite number, on the other hand, has more than two divisors. Therefore, a number cannot have both exactly two divisors and more than two divisors at the same time.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to determining whether a number is prime?

While there are some tricks and patterns that can help identify prime numbers, such as the Sieve of Eratosthenes or noticing that all prime numbers except 2 and 3 are of the form 6n+1 or 6n-1, there is no foolproof shortcut to determine whether a number is prime. Ultimately, proving whether a number is prime requires careful mathematical reasoning and evidence.

5. Can a prime number be negative?

No, a prime number cannot be negative. By definition, a prime number is a positive integer that has exactly two divisors, 1 and itself. Negative numbers do not have this property, as they have more than two divisors (for example, -2 has the divisors -1, 1, and 2). Therefore, prime numbers must be positive integers.