Prove Monotonically Decreasing Convex Function Boundary

• MHB
  • Thread starter stainburg
  • Start date
In summary: F(x)dx. This can be evaluated using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and we have\int_{x_1}^{x_n} F(x)dx = f(x_1)x_1 - f(x_n)x_n + \int_{x_1}^{x_n} f'(x)(x - x_n)dx= f(x_1)x_1 - f(x_n)x_n + \int_{x_1}^{x_n} [f'(x_1) - \lambda f'(x_n)](x - x_1)dx= f(x_1)x_1 - f(x_n
stainburg
Let \(\displaystyle f\):\(\displaystyle (0,\infty) \to (0,\infty)\) be a monotonically decreasing convex function. Choose \(\displaystyle 0<x_1<x_2<...<x_n\), and \(\displaystyle \lambda_i \geq 0\) such that \(\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^{n}\lambda_i=1\). Prove that

\(\displaystyle \sum_{j=1}^{n}\lambda_j x_j\sum_{i=1}^{n}\lambda_i f(x_i) \leq \frac{(x_nf(x_1)-x_1f(x_n))^2}{4(x_n-x_1)(f(x_1)-f(x_n))}\) .

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I would like to provide a proof for the inequality you have stated.

First, note that since f is a monotonically decreasing convex function, it is also a continuous function on the interval (0, ∞). This means that it satisfies the Intermediate Value Theorem, which states that for any two points x_1 and x_2 in the domain of f, there exists a point c in between them such that f(c) is equal to the average of f(x_1) and f(x_2), i.e. f(c) = (f(x_1) + f(x_2))/2.

Now, let us consider the function g(x) = x[f(x_1) - f(x_n)] - f(x_1)x_n + f(x_n)x_1. This function is also continuous on the interval (0, ∞) and can be rewritten as g(x) = (x - x_n)(f(x_1) - f(x_n)) + (x_n - x_1)f(x_n). It is clear that g(x_1) = g(x_n) = 0.

Next, let us consider the function h(x) = g(x)/x. Since x > 0 for all x in the domain, h(x) is also continuous on (0, ∞) and we have h(x_1) = h(x_n) = 0. Furthermore, h(x) is also differentiable on (0, ∞) and we have h'(x) = (x[f'(x_1) - f'(x_n)] + f(x_1) - f(x_n))/x^2.

Now, let us define the function F(x) = f(x) - [f(x_1) - f(x_n)](x - x_n)/(x_n - x_1). Since f is convex, it follows that f'(x) \geq [f(x_1) - f(x_n)]/(x_n - x_1), which implies that F'(x) \geq 0 for all x \in (0, ∞). Therefore, F(x) is a monotonically increasing function on (0, ∞) and we have F(x_1) = f(x_1) and F(x_n) = f(x_n).

Now, let

1. What does it mean for a function to be monotonically decreasing?

A monotonically decreasing function is one in which the value of the function decreases as the input increases. In other words, as the x-values increase, the corresponding y-values decrease. Graphically, this appears as a downward sloping line.

2. What is a convex function?

A convex function is a function in which the line segment connecting any two points on the graph of the function lies above or on the graph. In other words, the function is always "curving up" and does not have any "dips" or "valleys". This can also be thought of as the function being "bowl-shaped".

3. How can a function be both monotonically decreasing and convex?

A function can be both monotonically decreasing and convex if it has a constant negative slope and is always curving up. This can be visualized as a straight line with a downward slope that is also "bowl-shaped".

4. What is the boundary of a monotonically decreasing convex function?

The boundary of a monotonically decreasing convex function is the line that connects all the points on the graph of the function. This line forms the "top" of the function and has a negative slope.

5. How can a function's boundary be proven to be monotonically decreasing?

A function's boundary can be proven to be monotonically decreasing by showing that the slope of the line connecting any two points on the graph is always negative. This can be done algebraically by finding the derivative of the function and showing that it is always negative, or graphically by visually inspecting the slope of the line at different points on the graph.