Prove "Monotone Decreasing" of (1 + 1/x)^(x+1)

• Thread starter Hammie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    decreasing
In summary, the conversation was about proving that the function (1 + 1/x) ^ (x + 1) is monotone decreasing. The person was struggling with finding a way to show that the ratio (1+1/n)(1 - 1/n^2)^n is less than one. They eventually used Bernouli's inequality to simplify the expression and proved that the function is indeed monotone decreasing.
Hammie
Here's another one I'm doing just for the fun of it..

"prove that (1 + 1/x) ^ (x + 1) is monotone decreasing"

Okie Dokie..

If it just said show it, I'd be happy. Just plug in n=2, 3, 4.. and it is easy enough to observe that each term is decreasing.

But to prove it is monotone decreasing I must show that a(n) must be greater than a(n-1), that a(n)/a(n-1) < 1, at least for all large n.

What I have so far:

a(n)/a(n-1) = (1 + 1/n)((n^2-1)/n^2)^n

Or (1 + 1/n)(1 - 1/n^2)^n

What's up with this? How can I prove that this ratio is less than one? If the answer is obvious, it just seems to elude me..

This is early on in an old advanced calculus text. It hasn't even begun to talk about derivatives at this point.. I feel like I'm being asked to perform brain surgery with bone knives and bear skins..

:smile:

any suggestions or hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hammie said:
Or (1 + 1/n)(1 - 1/n^2)^n

At this point it would be nice to have a common power to simplify things. Can you bound (1+1/n) from above by something like (1+x)^n? What will work for x?

OK..

Don't know if this is what you were alluding to, but how about-

Use Bernouli's inequality, kind of backwards.

(1 + 1/n^2)^n > (1 + 1/n). simply reverse: (1+1/n) < (1 + 1/n^2)^n.

Therefore,

(1+1/n)(1 - 1/n^2)^n < (1-1/n^2)^n(1 + 1/n^2)^n = (1 - 1/n^4)^n

which by examination is less than one for all n.

Therefore a(n)/a(n-1) is less than one for all n. a(n) < a(n-1), therefore it is montone decreasing.

Is this valid?

Last edited:
That would be it. :smile:

Related to Prove "Monotone Decreasing" of (1 + 1/x)^(x+1)

1. What does "monotone decreasing" mean in the context of (1 + 1/x)^(x+1)?

"Monotone decreasing" means that as the value of x increases, the value of (1 + 1/x)^(x+1) decreases. In other words, the function is decreasing as x increases.

2. How can I prove that (1 + 1/x)^(x+1) is monotone decreasing?

To prove that a function is monotone decreasing, you can show that the derivative of the function is always negative. In this case, the derivative of (1 + 1/x)^(x+1) is always negative, so we can conclude that the function is monotone decreasing.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate the monotone decreasing property of (1 + 1/x)^(x+1)?

One example is when x = 1. As x increases from 1, the value of (1 + 1/x)^(x+1) decreases. For example, when x = 2, the value of the function is 2.25, but when x = 3, the value of the function is 2.037. This shows that the function is monotone decreasing.

4. Why is proving the monotone decreasing property of (1 + 1/x)^(x+1) important?

Proving the monotone decreasing property is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values. It also allows us to use the function in mathematical models and applications where decreasing behavior is important.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the function (1 + 1/x)^(x+1) and its monotone decreasing property?

Yes, this function is commonly used in finance and economics to model compound interest. The monotone decreasing property is important in these applications because it ensures that the value of the function decreases as the interest rate increases, which accurately reflects real-world scenarios.