Prove Mean Value Theorem: f(x) on I=(a,b)

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of two theorems, one involving a function differentiable twice and the other involving a function differentiable three times. The theorems state that there exists a c in the open interval (a,b) for both cases, with the first one involving the derivative of the function and the second one involving the function itself. The use of Taylor's theorem is mentioned as a possible approach to solving the proofs.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

1) Let f be a function differentiable two times on the open interval I and a and b two numbers in I

Prove that: [tex]\exists c\in]a,b[:\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}=f'(a)+\frac{b+a}{c}f''(c)[/tex]

2) Let f be a function differentiable three times on the open interval I and a and b two numbers in I.

Prove that: [tex]\exists c\in]a,b[:f(b)=f(a)+(b-a)f'(a)+\frac{(b-a)^{2}}{2}f''(a)+\frac{b-a}{2}f'''(c)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Any tips on how to start please. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you try?

Are you reminded of some general result or theorem?

micromass said:
What did you try?

Are you reminded of some general result or theorem?

Well the theorem states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and is differentiable on the open interval (a,b) then there exists a c in the open interval (a,b) such that.

[tex]f'(c)=\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/tex]

And then i tried counting the second derivative but i couldn't get anything out of it.

Do you know Taylor's theorem?

micromass said:
Do you know Taylor's theorem?

Yes i know that it can be solved using taylor's theorem easily, but we need to prove it for the a function differentiable twice and a function differentiable 3 times and then we have to prove taylor's theorem for a function differentiable n times. So I thought that since there exists a C in the open interval (a,b) then f(c) will have to be the mean of the f(b)+f(a) and when i take the derivative of that i get f'(c)=(f'(b)-f'(a))/2, but I don't know what to do from here on.

Related to Prove Mean Value Theorem: f(x) on I=(a,b)

What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints of the interval.

What is the significance of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is significant because it provides a powerful tool for analyzing the behavior of functions on intervals. It allows us to make conclusions about the existence of roots, extreme values, and the concavity of a function based on the properties of its derivative.

How is the Mean Value Theorem proven?

The Mean Value Theorem can be proven using the Intermediate Value Theorem and the definition of a derivative. It involves constructing a new function that represents the difference between the original function and the secant line, and then using the Intermediate Value Theorem to show that this function must have a root within the interval.

Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to functions that are continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. This means that the function must have no breaks or jumps within the interval and must have a well-defined derivative at every point within the interval.

What is the practical use of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve optimization problems, analyze the behavior of physical systems, and estimate values for functions that are difficult to calculate directly.