Prove Lim of x^2 as x approaches 3 = 9 with Epsilon/ Delta Definition

In summary: Basically, you have to make assumptions about what the function will do at certain points. You do this by looking at the function graph and figuring out what the function will do at certain points. Then, you use that information to create your assumptions.
TitoSmooth
Prove Lim x^2=9. With the epsilon/delta definition of a limit.
x->3

My work so far. For every ε>0 there is a δ>0 such that

if 0<|x-3|<δ , Then |x^2-9|<ε

so, |(x-3)(x+3)|<ε

|x-3|* |x+3|∠ε

what do I do from here? My book is not very clear (Stewart Calculus 7ed) on how to do episolon/delta tolerance proofs on not so nice functions.

please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
and i also know that |x-3| is smaller then delta. I think this is a clue.

Try writing [itex]|x-3||x+3|<\epsilon [/itex] as [itex]|x-3|<\frac{\epsilon}{|x+3|} [/itex] and then substituting that for [itex]\delta [/itex].

wakefield said:
Try writing [itex]|x-3||x+3|<\epsilon [/itex] as [itex]|x-3|<\frac{\epsilon}{|x+3|} [/itex] and then substituting that for [itex]\delta [/itex].

so when sub everything back in I should get back the original? Therefore that last step was the answer? Or is there something more to it?

wakefield said:
No, that's not how it works. If x is close to -3, then |x + 3| is close to zero, and you can't divide by zero. On the other hand, if x is close to 3, then |x + 3| is close to 6.

You have to make some assumptions on ##\delta## so that x is not too far away from 3.

Mark44 said:
No, that's not how it works. If x is close to -3, then |x + 3| is close to zero, and you can't divide by zero. On the other hand, if x is close to 3, then |x + 3| is close to 6.

You have to make some assumptions on ##\delta## so that x is not too far away from 3.

Sure it is.
Say that [itex]|x-3|<1[/itex], then [itex]5<x+3<7[/itex]. Then we know that [tex]|x-3|<\frac{\epsilon}{|x+3|}<\frac{\epsilon}{7}.[/tex]Now we have a case where [itex]|x-3|<1[/itex] and a case where [itex]|x-3|<\frac{\epsilon}{7}[/itex]. So let [itex]\delta=min\{1,\frac{\epsilon}{7}\}[/itex].
It's not like a direct substitution but it's the right idea.

wakefield said:
Sure it is.
Say that [itex]|x-3|<1[/itex], then [itex]5<x+3<7[/itex]. Then we know that [tex]|x-3|<\frac{\epsilon}{|x+3|}<\frac{\epsilon}{7}.[/tex]Now we have a case where [itex]|x-3|<1[/itex] and a case where [itex]|x-3|<\frac{\epsilon}{7}[/itex]. So let [itex]\delta=min\{1,\frac{\epsilon}{7}\}[/itex].

how do we create the assumptions? Can I have an explanation in layman terms lol. This looks like the example in my book.

how did we restrict the values?

wakefield said:
Sure it is.
This is basically what I was talking about.

Related to Prove Lim of x^2 as x approaches 3 = 9 with Epsilon/ Delta Definition

1. What is the Epsilon/Delta Definition?

The Epsilon/Delta Definition is a mathematical method used to prove the limit of a function. It involves finding a value for delta (Δ) that corresponds to a given value of epsilon (ε), and showing that for all values of x within a certain distance (Δ) from the limit point, the function's output will be within a certain distance (ε) from the limit value.

2. How does the Epsilon/Delta Definition work?

The Epsilon/Delta Definition works by first choosing a value for epsilon (ε) that represents the desired accuracy of the limit. Then, using algebraic manipulation, a value for delta (Δ) is found that corresponds to the chosen epsilon value. This value of delta can then be used to show that the function's output will be within the chosen epsilon distance from the limit value for all x values within a certain distance (Δ) from the limit point.

3. Why is the Epsilon/Delta Definition important?

The Epsilon/Delta Definition is important because it provides a rigorous and precise way to prove the limit of a function. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many other mathematical proofs and applications.

4. How is the Epsilon/Delta Definition applied to prove the limit of x^2 as x approaches 3 = 9?

To prove the limit of x^2 as x approaches 3 = 9 using the Epsilon/Delta Definition, we first choose a value for epsilon (ε) that represents the desired accuracy. Then, using algebraic manipulation, we find a value for delta (Δ) that corresponds to the chosen epsilon value. Finally, we show that for all x values within a certain distance (Δ) from 3, the function's output (x^2) will be within the chosen epsilon distance from 9.

5. What are the limitations of the Epsilon/Delta Definition?

The Epsilon/Delta Definition can be difficult to understand and apply, especially for more complex functions. It also requires a lot of algebraic manipulation and can be time-consuming. Additionally, it only applies to limits that exist and does not work for limits that do not exist or are infinite.