Prove Inequality with Mean Value Theorem: |\sin a - \sin b| \leq |a - b|

In summary, the inequality |\sin a - \sin b| \leq |a - b| can be proven using the Mean Value Theorem. If two numbers are equal then their absolute values are also equal, so in this case \sin \left( a \right) - \sin \left( b \right) = \cos \left( c \right)\left( {a - b} \right).
endeavor
Use the Mean Value Theorem to prove the inequality
[tex]|\sin a - \sin b| \leq |a - b|[/tex] for all a and b.

I know by the Mean Value Theorem, I can say:
[tex]\sin a - \sin b = \cos c(a - b)[/tex]

I've been trying to figure it out for awhile, but could not, so I peeked at my solution's manual. They assumed b < a, and said
[tex]|\sin a - \sin b| \leq |\cos c||b - a| \leq |a - b|[/tex]

how did they arrive at this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say about the bounds of [itex]|\cos c|[/itex]?

Are you aware that [itex]-1\le cos(x)\le 1[/itex]?

Yes, but wouldn't that make it:
[tex]|\sin a - \sin b| \geq |\cos c||b - a|[/tex] ?
and
[tex]|\cos c||b - a| \leq |a - b|[/tex]

And doesn't
[tex]|b - a| = |a - b|[/tex] ?

I think you're getting mixed up. Maybe it will help if you write your equation as:

[tex]|\sin a - \sin b| = |\cos c||a - b|[/tex]

If two numbers are equal then their absolute values are certainly also equal. So

[tex]\sin \left( a \right) - \sin \left( b \right) = \cos \left( c \right)\left( {a - b} \right)[/tex]

[tex]
\Rightarrow \left| {\sin \left( a \right) - \sin \left( b \right)} \right| = \left| {\cos \left( c \right)} \right|\left| {a - b} \right|
[/tex] (1)

I would say that assuming a < b or vice versa is just to allow you to use the MVT. It makes no difference whether a or b is greater since you are dealing with absolute values. After all, |a| = |-a|.

Anyway once you get to equation (1), all you need has been given to you. If you combine HallsofIvy and Galileo's hints then you should be able to draw the required conclusion.

If you still can't see what they are suggesting then consider the following

2 = 2.
2 < 2(2) = 4
2 < 3(2) = 6.

Related to Prove Inequality with Mean Value Theorem: |\sin a - \sin b| \leq |a - b|

What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous and differentiable function f on an interval [a, b], there exists a point c in the interval such that the slope of the tangent line at c is equal to the average rate of change of f over [a, b].

How is the Mean Value Theorem used to prove inequalities?

The Mean Value Theorem can be used to prove inequalities by showing that the derivative of a function is always positive or negative on a given interval. This allows us to determine the behavior of the function and prove inequalities between two points on the interval.

What is the significance of the absolute value in the inequality |\sin a - \sin b| \leq |a - b|?

The absolute value is used in this inequality to ensure that the difference between the two values being compared is always positive. This is important because the Mean Value Theorem only guarantees the existence of a point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change, but it does not specify whether this point is positive or negative. By using absolute values, we can ensure that the inequality holds for both positive and negative differences.

Can the inequality be rewritten in a different form?

Yes, the inequality |\sin a - \sin b| \leq |a - b| can also be written as |a - b| \geq |\sin a - \sin b|. This is because the absolute value of a difference is always equal to the absolute value of the negative of that difference.

What are some real-life applications of the Mean Value Theorem and this inequality?

The Mean Value Theorem and this inequality have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to analyze rates of change, optimize functions, and prove various inequalities that are essential in these fields of study.