Prove Inequality: |1-K+x|/|1+y| < 1

• Thread starter Only a Mirage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, to prove that ##\frac{|1-K+x|}{|1+y|} < 1##, we can use the given inequality ##x + y > K - 2## to show that ##|1-K+x| < (y+1)##, which follows from the fact that ##y+1 > 0##. This allows us to divide both sides of the inequality by ##|1+y|## and conclude that ##\frac{|1-K+x|}{|1+y|} < 1## as desired.
Only a Mirage

Homework Statement

Given:

[itex]|x-y| < K[/itex]

[itex]x+y > K - 2[/itex]

[itex]0 < K < 1[/itex]

Prove:

[itex]\frac{|1-K+x|}{|1+y|} < 1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using the fact that [itex]|x-y| < K \Rightarrow -K < x-y < K \Rightarrow y-K < x < y+K[/itex] to write [itex]\frac{1-K+x}{1+y} < \frac{1+y}{1+y} = 1[/itex]

But I can't figure out how to show that the absolute value is less than one.

I have also been trying various applications of the triangle inequality with little success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: what does the given inequality ##x + y > K - 2## tell you about ##1 - K + x##?

Likes 1 person
jbunniii said:
Hint: what does the given inequality ##x + y > K - 2## tell you about ##1 - K + x##?

It tells me that ##1 - K + x > -(y+1)##

which I actually had written on my paper before, but thanks to you I think I've realized the connection...Since I already had from the first assumption ##1-K+x<1+y##, I now have

##-(y+1)<(1-K+x)<(y+1)##, which seems to imply ##|1-K+x| < (y+1)## as desired.

Since we didn't know before that ##|y+1| = y+1##, it seems that this claim actually follows from the assumptions? I think it does since I think

##-A<T<A \Rightarrow A>0##, if both inequalities are satisfied, right?

Thank you so much for your help.

Only a Mirage said:
##-A<T<A \Rightarrow A>0##, if both inequalities are satisfied, right?
Yes, this implication is correct. Ignoring the ##T## in the middle of the inequality chain, you have ##-A < A##, so ##2A > 0##, hence ##A > 0##.

Note that the fact that ##y + 1 > 0## is important, because you are dividing both sides of each inequality by this expression. If ##y+1## was zero, the division would be undefined, and if ##y+1## was negative, the direction of the inequality would flip. Fortunately both of these possibilities are excluded by ##y + 1 > 0##.

Likes 1 person
jbunniii said:
Yes, this implication is correct. Ignoring the ##T## in the middle of the inequality chain, you have ##-A < A##, so ##2A > 0##, hence ##A > 0##.

Note that the fact that ##y + 1 > 0## is important, because you are dividing both sides of each inequality by this expression. If ##y+1## was zero, the division would be undefined, and if ##y+1## was negative, the direction of the inequality would flip. Fortunately both of these possibilities are excluded by ##y + 1 > 0##.

That makes sense to me. Thanks again for the help.

Related to Prove Inequality: |1-K+x|/|1+y| < 1

What is the purpose of proving an inequality?

Proving an inequality allows us to show that one quantity is greater or less than another quantity, providing a mathematical justification for our reasoning.

What does the inequality |1-K+x|/|1+y| < 1 represent?

This inequality represents a relationship between two variables, K and x, and the constant 1. It states that the absolute value of the difference between 1 and the sum of K and x, divided by the absolute value of 1 plus the variable y, is less than 1.

What is the process for proving this inequality?

The process for proving this inequality involves manipulating the equation algebraically, using mathematical properties and rules, to arrive at a statement that is true for all possible values of the variables.

How can we determine the validity of this inequality?

To determine the validity of this inequality, we can use different values for the variables and see if the inequality holds true. We can also use mathematical techniques, such as graphing, to visually represent the inequality and see if it holds true for all points on the graph.

Why is it important to prove this inequality in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, proving an inequality allows us to make accurate and reliable conclusions about the relationship between variables. This can help us understand and predict natural phenomena, and can also be applied in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics.