Prove If m Not Form 4k+3, m^2 Is Not Form 4k+3

In summary: The statement is true for all positive integers k and k' but it's not true for k if k' is not an integer. In summary, the statement is true for all positive integers k and k' but it's not true for k if k' is not an integer.
CollectiveRocker
I'm given the statement: if m^2 is of the form 4k+3, then m is of the form 4k+3. I don't even know how to begin proving this. I'm guessing by contraposition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just look at the four cases of integers: 4k, 4k+1, 4k+2, 4k+3.

Ok, so it is even, odd, even, odd. What are you getting at?

Yes,Robert presented you with 2 many numbers:4 instead of 2.So you're left only with the odd numbers.
Can u do the analysis in this case...?

Daniel.

P.S.Relabel k and k' not to create confusion when putting them in the same equation.

In response to the above:

m^2 = 4k + 3 = 4(4k'^2 + 6k' + 3/2) + 3 = [16k'^2 + 24k' + 6] + 3 = (4k'+3)^2

but is k an integer is k' is? I'm not really trying to answer the OP's post just sort of curious, so pardon my hijacking!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's definitely in the integers.Positive integers,even.

Daniel.

Well, O.K., we need only consider the odd numbers: 4k+1 and 4k+3. Suppose we multiply them together: (4k+1)(4k+3) = 16k^2+16k+3. What form is that?

3*3 = 1 mod 4

Woo! I love modulo arithmetic.

i wish to point out that "weird" is spelled "weird".

if m and k are positive integer... then your "THEN" statement is always true, no matter what is following..., here are some examples
if m^2 is of the form 4k+3, then the world is peace
if m^2 is of the form 4k+3, then I have 3 hands and 4 legs
if m^2 is of the form 4k+3, then US government will give us $10billions dollars to build a particle accelatator

can you see the reason?
the answer is in white:

the "if" statement can never be true

in that case i guess if m^2 = 4k+3, then weird is spelled wierd, and m = 4n.

I don't think too mathematically, but is this entire proof moot since the condition is never true? (alluding to my previous post where k and k' can't both be integers)

*sigh*

This thread is not coherent at all and hardly a help to anyone.

This is quite simple, take any 2 numbers:

a=4p + 3
b=4n + 3

[tex]a,b,p,n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]

Define c such that:

c = ab

We know that:

a ≡ b ≡ 3 (mod 4)

Therefore:

c ≡3*3 ≡ 9 ≡ 1 (mod 4)

Therefore there exists some t in N such that:

c = 4t + 1

And looking at the original post we can safely say that m2 is not of the form 4k + 3.

Is this not valid in some way?

Last edited:

Related to Prove If m Not Form 4k+3, m^2 Is Not Form 4k+3

1. What is the significance of the "4k+3" pattern in this statement?

The "4k+3" pattern refers to a mathematical expression where k is an integer. This pattern is important because it is a characteristic of numbers that can be written as the sum of two perfect squares. It is also relevant in this statement because it helps determine whether a number is not a multiple of 4 and cannot be written as the sum of two perfect squares.

2. How is the statement "Prove If m Not Form 4k+3, m^2 Is Not Form 4k+3" proven?

This statement can be proven using a proof by contradiction. This method involves assuming the opposite of the statement to be true and then showing that it leads to a contradiction. In this case, we would assume that m is not a multiple of 4 and can be written as the sum of two perfect squares, and then show that this leads to a contradiction, thus proving the original statement to be true.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate this statement?

Sure, let's take the number 7. This number is not a multiple of 4 and cannot be written as the sum of two perfect squares. When we square 7, we get 49, which is also not a multiple of 4 and cannot be written as the sum of two perfect squares. Therefore, this example proves the statement to be true.

4. Is this statement only applicable to positive integers?

No, this statement is also applicable to negative integers. The "4k+3" pattern holds true for both positive and negative integers, so the statement can be applied to any integer value of m.

5. What is the practical application of this statement?

This statement has various applications in number theory and cryptography. It can be used to determine if a number is prime or composite, and it also has implications in the security of certain encryption algorithms. Additionally, understanding this statement can help in solving other mathematical problems and proofs.