Prove G contains a cycle of length at least k+1

In summary, the conversation is about proving that a simple graph, G, with minimum degree k (where k>=2), contains a cycle of length at least k+1. The use of induction is suggested and the discussion includes considering a path of maximum length and constructing a cycle with a degree of at least k+1. However, it is acknowledged that this approach may not be successful and it may be more effective to prove that a cycle containing a specific vertex set exists.
cxc001
This is a graph theory related question.

Let G be a simple graph with min. degree k, where k>=2. Prove that G contains a cycle of length at least k+1.

Am I suppose to use induction to prove G has a path length at least k first, then try to prove that G has a cycle of length at least k+1? Or should I go directly use induction to prove G contains a cycle of length at least k+1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider one of the vertices, [tex]\nu_k[/tex] of degree [tex]k[/tex]. Let the set of vertices which are connected to this one be [tex]\{ \nu_i^{(k)} \}[/tex]. What is the minimum path length of a cycle [tex]C^{(k)}[/tex] that connects all of the [tex]\nu_i^{(k)}[/tex]? Can you see a way to construct a cycle [tex]C'[/tex] of degree [tex]\text{deg}\, C^{(k)}+1[/tex]?

Tell me if I'm not on the right track.

Use induction on k.

Pick a path P of maximum length, and suppose vertex vi is a vertex on this path, which has degree at least k, with a set of adjacent vertices {w1,w2,…,wj}, the adjacent vertex set must be on the path.
The minimum path length of a cycle Ci that connected all of vertex set {w1,w2,…,wj } is k.
Then extend the path to a cycle by adding the edge wjvi, so the resulting cycle has length at least k+1.
We're done! Does this induction make sense?

with a set of adjacent vertices {w1,w2,…,wj}, the adjacent vertex set must be on the path.

This is not likely to be true

Your path P is too arbitrary and it's unlikely that you can prove very much given the constraints. However, it should be possible to argue that a simple graph contains a cycle that actually contains the vertex set wi and consider the path length of a closely related cycle that includes v.

Related to Prove G contains a cycle of length at least k+1

1. What does it mean for G to contain a cycle?

A cycle in a graph is a sequence of vertices that are connected by edges, where the first and last vertices are the same. In other words, it is a closed path in the graph.

2. How can I prove that G contains a cycle of length at least k+1?

One approach is to use the induction principle. First, show that G contains a cycle of length k+1. Then, assume that G contains a cycle of length n (where n > k+1) and use this assumption to prove that G contains a cycle of length n+1. This will prove that G contains a cycle of length at least k+1.

3. Is there a specific algorithm for finding a cycle of length at least k+1 in G?

Yes, there are several algorithms that can be used to find a cycle of a certain length in a graph. For example, the depth-first search algorithm can be used to find a cycle of length k+1 in G. However, these algorithms may not always find the shortest cycle of length k+1 in G.

4. Can G contain multiple cycles of length at least k+1?

Yes, it is possible for G to contain multiple cycles of length at least k+1. In fact, it is possible for G to contain an infinite number of cycles, of varying lengths.

5. What is the significance of proving that G contains a cycle of length at least k+1?

Proving that G contains a cycle of length at least k+1 can have various implications in different fields. In graph theory, it can help in understanding the structure and properties of the graph. In computer science, it can be used in the design and analysis of algorithms. In real-life applications, it can have implications in network design and optimization problems.