Prove f is measurable on any closed set

In summary, the problem is to prove that if a function f is measurable on R and C is a closed set, then f^-1(C) is also measurable. The attempt at a solution involves using the definition of measurability and closed sets, as well as the fact that the complement of a closed set is an open set. The idea is to show that open sets are countable unions of open intervals, which are themselves measurable. However, help is needed to formalize the argument and make it more rigorous.
jinsing

Homework Statement

Prove if $f$ is measurable on R and C is any closed set, f^{-1}(C) is measurable.

Homework Equations

Definition of measurability, closed sets etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying for a while to get this proof, but I seem to just end up stuck at the beginning. I think I want to point out that the complement of a closed set is an open set, and open sets are countable unions of open intervals, which are themselves measurable. But I'm not too sure, and I'd sure appreciate a gentle push in the right direction.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jinsing said:
I think I want to point out that the complement of a closed set is an open set, and open sets are countable unions of open intervals, which are themselves measurable.

Yes, that is correct. So what is bothering you??

I guess I need help formalizing the argument. Would I just assume the hypotheses, point out by definition C' is an open set, and then just mention "open sets are countable unions of open intervals, which are measurable?" Doesn't seem too rigorous..

It's rigorous enough for me. (assuming you proved the things like any open set is the countable union of intervals).

Related to Prove f is measurable on any closed set

What does it mean for a function to be measurable on a closed set?

A function f is measurable on a closed set if the pre-image of any measurable set on the range of f is measurable on the domain of f.

Why is it important for a function to be measurable on a closed set?

Measurability on a closed set allows for the use of integration techniques to solve problems in applied mathematics and physics.

How can you prove that a function is measurable on a closed set?

One way to prove this is by showing that the pre-image of any open set on the range of f is measurable on the domain of f. Another approach is to use the Carathéodory criterion, which states that a function is measurable if and only if the pre-image of any Borel set is measurable.

Can a function be measurable on a closed set but not on an open set?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be measurable on a closed set but not on an open set. This is because a closed set contains its boundary points, which can affect the measurability of a function.

What is the relationship between measurability and continuity?

A function can be continuous but not measurable, or measurable but not continuous. Measurability is a stronger condition than continuity, as it requires the pre-image of any measurable set to be measurable. However, if a function is continuous on a closed set, it is also measurable on that set.