Prove: EM Waves Addition Superposition Equivalence

In summary, the superposition of three waves with frequencies \omega _c, \omega _c + \omega _m and \omega _c - \omega _ m and same amplitude are equivalent to another wave of frequency \omega _c which is modulated by a sinusoidal wave with frequency \omega _m, i.e. E=E_0 \left [ 1+a \cos (\omega _m t) \right ] \cos (\omega _c t).
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that the superposition of three waves with frequencies [tex]\omega _c[/tex], [tex]\omega _c + \omega _m[/tex] and [tex]\omega _c - \omega _ m[/tex] and same amplitude are equivalent to another wave of frequency [tex]\omega _c[/tex] which is modulated by a sinusoidal wave with frequency [tex]\omega _m, i.e. E=E_0 \left [ 1+a \cos (\omega _m t) \right ] \cos (\omega _c t)[/tex].

Homework Equations

Not sure, but I started with [tex]E_1=E_0 e^{i (\omega _c t + k_1 x)}[/tex], [tex]E_2=E_0 e^{i \left [ (\omega _c + \omega _m )t + k_2 x \right ]}[/tex] and [tex]E_3=E_0 e^{i \left [(\omega _c + \omega _m)t + k_1 x \right ]}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equations in the Relevant part, I just summed them up and factorized by [tex]E_0[/tex]. I'm wondering if I started with the right equations. What do you think? I'm asking this question because I'm unsure and further I don't really see how to reach the answer from the equations I've put.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd assume that the speed of the wave is the same for all 3 constituent waves, allowing you to express [itex]k[/itex] for each one.

Also, I'd imagine that you are supposed to assume the fields are real; so you will either want to use cosines/sines or take the real part of complex exponentials. For example, the electric field [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex] of a plane wave is often taken to be the real part of a complimentary complex-valued field:

[tex]\tilde{\mathbf{E}}=\tilde{\mathbf{E}}_0{\rm{e}}^{{\rm{i}}(\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{r}-\omega t)}[/tex]

Where the tildes denote complex-valued quantities. This is done since exponentials are often easier to do calculations with.

Thanks gabba hey. Yes I would take the real part when I'm done with the simplifications.
So I wasn't wrong take a wave of the form [tex]E=E_0 \cos (\ometa t + \vec k \codt \vec r)[/tex]?

Yes, [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] typos aside (where in the Greek alphabet is "\ometa" located? :biggrin:), that assumed form should be fine. You could even include a phase factor if you want (i.e. [itex]\textbf{E}=\textbf{E}_0\cos(\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{r}-\omega t+\delta)[/itex]) as long as you assume that all 3 waves are in phase (have the same [itex]\delta[/itex]).

gabbagabbahey said:
Yes, [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] typos aside (where in the Greek alphabet is "\ometa" located? :biggrin:), that assumed form should be fine. You could even include a phase factor if you want (i.e. [itex]\textbf{E}=\textbf{E}_0\cos(\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{r}-\omega t+\delta)[/itex]) as long as you assume that all 3 waves are in phase (have the same [itex]\delta[/itex]).

Oops, ometa and codt instead of cdot...
Now I notice that you put a minus sign in "[tex]-\omega t[/tex]". Is it important? I didn't use any minus sign, should I? Isn't just the direction of propagation that changes?

Yes, the negative sign simply means that the wave will propagate in the same direction as [itex]\textbf{k}[/itex] instead of opposite to it. It is convention to assume that [itex]k=||\textbf{k}||[/itex] is positive and so in order for the waves to travel with positive speed, forwards in time, you use the negative sign.

Ok thanks, I'll use the negative sign.

I just summed up E_1 with E_2 and it's already very messy, I can't believe that adding E_3 will simplificate anything.
I reach [tex]E_1+E_2=2E_0 \left [ \cos \left ( \frac{(k_1+k_2)x-(2 \omega _c + \omega _m)t + 2 \alpha}{2} \right) \cdot \cos \left ( \frac{(k_1-k_2)x+ \omega _m t}{2} \right ) \right ][/tex].
If I sum the third wave I'll get a function of the form [tex]\cos ( \cos (...))[/tex] which doesn't seem to simplificate and I won't reach the answer. Am I missing something?

If I were you, I'd start with adding E_2 and E_3 instead :wink:

Indeed, I should have thought more before heading to the arithmetics.
I now reach [tex]E_2+E_3=2E_0 \left [ \cos \left ( \left ( \frac{k_2+ k_3}{2} \right ) x + \alpha - \omega _c t \right ) \cos \left ( \left ( \frac{k_2 - k_3}{2} \right ) x - \omega _m t \right ) \right ][/tex]. I'm sure this simplifies more and I should do it before adding [tex]E_1[/tex]. I'm not sure which trigonometric relation to use here. What do you think?

Usually waves of different frequency traveling in the same medium will have the same speed, so you expect

[tex]k_1=\frac{\omega_c}{c}, \;\;\;\;\;\; k_2=\frac{\omega_c+\omega_m}{c}\;\;\;\;\;\; \text{and}\;\;\;\;\;\;k_3=\frac{\omega_c-\omega_m}{c}[/tex]

gabbagabbahey said:
Usually waves of different frequency traveling in the same medium will have the same speed, so you expect

[tex]k_1=\frac{\omega_c}{c}, \;\;\;\;\;\; k_2=\frac{\omega_c+\omega_m}{c}\;\;\;\;\;\; \text{and}\;\;\;\;\;\;k_3=\frac{\omega_c-\omega_m}{c}[/tex]

Ah right. I reach [tex]E_2+E_3=2E_0 \cos \left [ \omega _c \left ( \frac{x}{c}-t \right ) + \alpha \right ] \cos \left [ \omega _m \left ( \frac{x}{c} -t \right ) \right ][/tex].
The "alpha" term seems bothering, it's the phase of any of the 3 waves. Now I must add this expression to the first wave... I guess it'll be complicated. Let's see.

Edit: I just summed the first wave to the last expression. I get that [tex]E_1+E_2+E_3=3 E_0 \cos \left [ \omega _c \left ( \frac{x}{c}-t \right ) +\alpha \right ] + 2 E_0 \cos \left [ \omega _m \left ( \frac{x}{c}-t \right ) \right ][/tex].
I really don't see how to reach the result.

Last edited:
Adding [itex]E_1[/itex] should be a piece of cake since [itex]E_1=E_0 \cos \left [ \omega _c \left ( \frac{x}{c}-t \right ) + \alpha \right ][/tex] :wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
Adding [itex]E_1[/itex] should be a piece of cake since [itex]E_1=E_0 \cos \left [ \omega _c \left ( \frac{x}{c}-t \right ) + \alpha \right ][/tex] :wink:

Well yes. I've edited my last post to include where I headed.
Now I believe I should use a trigonometric trick, but I don't see how to get rid of alpha.

fluidistic said:
Ah right. I reach [tex]E_2+E_3=2E_0 \cos \left [ \omega _c \left ( \frac{x}{c}-t \right ) + \alpha \right ] \cos \left [ \omega _m \left ( \frac{x}{c} -t \right ) \right ][/tex].
The "alpha" term seems bothering, it's the phase of any of the 3 waves. Now I must add this expression to the first wave... I guess it'll be complicated. Let's see.

Edit: I just summed the first wave to the last expression. I get that [tex]E_1+E_2+E_3=3 E_0 \cos \left [ \omega _c \left ( \frac{x}{c}-t \right ) +\alpha \right ] + 2 E_0 \cos \left [ \omega _m \left ( \frac{x}{c}-t \right ) \right ][/tex].
I really don't see how to reach the result.

I don't see how you ended up with that:confused:

[tex]\begin{aligned}E_1+E_2+E_3 &= E_0 \cos \left [ \omega _c \left ( \frac{x}{c}-t \right ) + \alpha \right ] +2E_0 \cos \left [ \omega _c \left ( \frac{x}{c}-t \right ) + \alpha \right ] \cos \left [ \omega _m \left ( \frac{x}{c} -t \right ) \right ] \\ &= E_0 \cos \left [ \omega _c \left ( \frac{x}{c}-t \right ) + \alpha \right ] \left(1+2\cos \left [ \omega _m \left ( \frac{x}{c} -t \right ) \right ]\right)\end{aligned}[/tex]

Which is your desired result:wink:

Ok thank you. I made an arithmetics error, I was too fast.
So the answer is slightly different from the one provided but I think we've done a more general case (i.e. considering a phase) although I'm not 100% sure.
Problem solved. :smile: Thanks for all.

The point is that [itex]E_0 \cos \left [ \omega _c \left ( \frac{x}{c}-t \right ) + \alpha \right ][/itex] is a wave of frequency [itex]\omega_c[/itex], and [itex] \cos \left [ \omega _m \left ( \frac{x}{c}-t \right )\right ][/itex] is a sinusoidal wave of frequency [itex]\omega_m[/itex], so

[tex]E_{\text{total}}=E_0 \cos \left [ \omega _c \left ( \frac{x}{c}-t \right ) + \alpha \right ] \left(1+2\cos \left [ \omega _m \left ( \frac{x}{c} -t \right ) \right ]\right)[/tex]

is a wave of frequency [itex]\omega_c[/itex], modulated by a sinusoidal wave of frequency [itex]\omega_m[/itex]...which is exactly what the question asked you to show.

Related to Prove: EM Waves Addition Superposition Equivalence

1. What are EM waves?

EM waves, or electromagnetic waves, are a type of energy that can travel through space. They are created by the movement of electrically charged particles and can be found in a wide range of frequencies, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. What is addition superposition?

Addition superposition is a principle in physics that states when two or more waves meet, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves. This means that when two or more EM waves overlap, they combine to form a new wave with a different amplitude and frequency.

3. How do EM waves follow the principle of superposition?

EM waves follow the principle of superposition because they are transverse waves, meaning that they oscillate perpendicular to their direction of travel. This allows them to overlap and combine without interfering with each other, resulting in the addition of their amplitudes and frequencies.

4. What is equivalence in relation to EM waves?

In the context of EM waves, equivalence refers to the fact that all EM waves, regardless of their frequency or wavelength, travel at the same speed in a vacuum, known as the speed of light. This means that even though EM waves have different properties, they are all ultimately made up of the same fundamental particles and have the same basic behavior.

5. How is the equivalence of EM waves demonstrated through experimentation?

The equivalence of EM waves can be demonstrated through various experiments, such as the double-slit experiment. In this experiment, a beam of light is shone through two parallel slits, creating an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. This pattern is the result of the overlapping and interference of multiple EM waves, demonstrating their equivalence in behavior.