Prove Convergence of Positive Series Squares

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of two infinite series, one defined by a_{n} and the other defined by a_{n}^{2}. The participant in the conversation asks for help in proving the convergence of the second series and receives a hint to use the ratio test. There is also a request to not hijack the conversation for unrelated questions.
Reid

Homework Statement

The infinite series defined by [tex]\Sigma a_{n}[/tex], with [tex]a_{n}>0[/tex] are convergent. If then the series defined by [tex]\Sigma a_{n}^{2}[/tex] coverges, prove it!

Homework Equations

The relevant equations has been stated above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since every term in the first infinite series are positive the partial sums are monotone increasing. And, since it converges these will be bounded above. Then it feels like the series of the squares will be bounded above as well. Since, due to convergence, every term approaches zero.

Is it correct to say that since the term [tex]a_{n}[/tex] tends to zero as n tends to infinity, its square also will?

Are my reasoning correct? How am I supposed to do it formally?

So very grateful for hints!

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the ratio test.

Ohh... I was making it harder than it actually was!

Thank you so much! :)

find out the sum of arithematic series which has 25 terms and its middle number is 20

harryjose said:
find out the sum of arithematic series which has 25 terms and its middle number is 20
Does this have anything at all to do with the original question?

Please, please, please do not "hijack" someone else's thread to ask your own question! It is very easy to start your own thread.

I can only speak for myself and I can't see the connection to my thread!

Related to Prove Convergence of Positive Series Squares

What is a positive series?

A positive series is a mathematical series where all terms are positive numbers. This means that the sum of all the terms in the series will also be a positive number.

What does it mean for a positive series to converge?

A positive series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite number as the number of terms increases. In other words, the terms in the series get smaller and smaller, and eventually the sum of the series will reach a specific value.

How do you prove convergence of a positive series of squares?

To prove convergence of a positive series of squares, you can use the Comparison Test or the Ratio Test. The Comparison Test involves comparing the series to a known convergent or divergent series, while the Ratio Test involves calculating the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series.

What is the significance of proving convergence of a positive series of squares?

Proving convergence of a positive series of squares is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the series and determine its sum. This information can be useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Can a positive series of squares diverge?

Yes, a positive series of squares can diverge. This means that the sum of the terms in the series will approach infinity or negative infinity, rather than a finite number. This can happen if the terms in the series do not decrease in size at a fast enough rate.