Prove Continuity of \sqrt{x} in R+

• Thread starter PhysicsDude1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the student is trying to find an ε value so that if x is within δ of a, then √x is within ε units of √a. If the skeptical friend is not satisfied, he will say something like, "Well it works for that ε. How about if ε is smaller?" The student responds by finding a different δ, and show his friend that when x is within δ of a, then √x is again within ε units of √a.
PhysicsDude1

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is continuous in R+ by using the epsilon-delta definition.

Homework Equations

A function f from R to R is continuous at a point a [itex]\in[/itex] R if :

Given ε> 0 there exists δ > 0 such that if |a - x| < δ then |f(a) - f(x)| < ε

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have to take an ε which is greater than 0 and prove that there exists a δ such that if the absolute value of (a - x) is smaller than that delta then the absolute values of the function values of a and x are smaller than ε.

I know I have to pick an ε which is greater than 0 but how do I know what value to pick for ε? 1,2,...n?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsDude1 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is continuous in R+ by using the epsilon-delta definition.

Homework Equations

A function f from R to R is continuous at a point a [itex]\in[/itex] R if :

Given ε> 0 there exists δ > 0 such that if |a - x| < δ then |f(a) - f(x)| < ε

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have to take an ε which is greater than 0 and prove that there exists a δ such that if the absolute value of (a - x) is smaller than that delta then the absolute values of the function values of a and x are smaller than ε.

I know I have to pick an ε which is greater than 0 but how do I know what value to pick for ε? 1,2,...n?
You don't get to pick the ε. The whole δ - ε thing should be viewed as a dialog between you (who are trying to prove that a certain limit exists) and an acquaintance who is skeptical of the process. The other person gives you an ε value, which by the way is usually small and close to zero. You respond by finding a number δ so that when x is within δ of a, then √x is within ε units of √a.

If your skeptical friend is not satisfied, he will say something like, "Well it works for that ε. How about if ε is smaller?" You respond by finding a different δ, and show your friend that when x is within δ of a, then √x is again within ε units of √a.

The process continues until your skeptical friend realizes that no matter how small an ε he gives you, you are able to come up with a δ that works, and the limit is established.

Mark44 said:
You don't get to pick the ε. The whole δ - ε thing should be viewed as a dialog between you (who are trying to prove that a certain limit exists) and an acquaintance who is skeptical of the process. The other person gives you an ε value, which by the way is usually small and close to zero. You respond by finding a number δ so that when x is within δ of a, then √x is within ε units of √a.

If your skeptical friend is not satisfied, he will say something like, "Well it works for that ε. How about if ε is smaller?" You respond by finding a different δ, and show your friend that when x is within δ of a, then √x is again within ε units of √a.

The process continues until your skeptical friend realizes that no matter how small an ε he gives you, you are able to come up with a δ that works, and the limit is established.

Thank you. This was very helpful intuive-wise! But how do I do this formally? Do I write δ in terms of ε?
I'm sorry but I'm really stuck here.

PhysicsDude1 said:
Thank you. This was very helpful intuive-wise! But how do I do this formally? Do I write δ in terms of ε?
I'm sorry but I'm really stuck here.
Yes. Also, you need to work in the actual function, not f(x).

Start with the inequality |√x - √a| < ε and work backwards to |x - a| < <some expression>. That <some expression> will be your delta.

At any point, a, you want to prove that given some [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that "if [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- f(a)|< \epsilon[/itex].

So start with what you want to get: [itex]|f(x)- f(a)|= |\sqrt{x}- \sqrt{a}|< \epsilon[/itex] and try to manipulate that to get "[itex]|x- a|< [/itex] some number".

I recommend you start by separating this into two cases: x> a and x< a. Square root is an increasing function so that if x> a then [itex]\sqrt{x}> \sqrt{a}[/itex] and if x< a then [itex]\sqrt{x}< \sqrt{a}[/itex] so you can eliminate the absolute values.

Mark44 said:
Yes. Also, you need to work in the actual function, not f(x).

Start with the inequality |√x - √a| < ε and work backwards to |x - a| < <some expression>. That <some expression> will be your delta.
|√x - √a| < ε

Sorry, accidentally clicked on post. I'm working on it :p

Ok, so I've, actually it was you guys, come up with this so far :

|√x - √a| < ε

⇔ |√x - √a| = |√x - √a| . [itex]\frac{|\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}|}{|\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}|}[/itex]

⇔ |√x - √a| = [itex]\frac{|x-a|}{|\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}|}[/itex]

⇔ [itex]\frac{|x-a|}{|\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}|}[/itex] < ε

⇔ |x-a| < ε . [itex]|\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}|[/itex]

Is this correct so far?

You've got the key equality, which is to relate √x - √a to x - a.

|√x - √a| = |x−a|/|√x +√a|

I would do this first for a = 0. I.e. prove √x is continuous at 0.

Then prove it for a > 1. If a > 1, then, |√x - √a| is smaller than |x−a|. So, it should be easy to find δ. But, if a < 1, then |√x - √a| could be larger than |x−a|. That's the tricky bit.

So, if you want to take it step by step, you could prove it for a >= 1. And, then finally prove it for a < 1. This might be easier until you get used to ε-δ.

For a < 1, there's a trick you'll need that is used a lot in ε-δ. It's not easy to spot first time you come across it.

Related to Prove Continuity of \sqrt{x} in R+

1. What is the definition of continuity?

The definition of continuity is that a function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point.

2. How do you prove continuity of a function?

To prove continuity of a function, you must show that the limit of the function at a point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be done by using the definition of continuity and evaluating the limit algebraically.

3. What is the limit of the function \sqrt{x} as x approaches a point in R+?

The limit of the function \sqrt{x} as x approaches a point in R+ is equal to the square root of that point. This can be shown by evaluating the limit using algebraic manipulation.

4. Why is it important to prove continuity of a function?

Proving continuity of a function is important because it ensures that the function is well-behaved and has no abrupt changes or discontinuities. It also allows for the use of powerful mathematical techniques, such as the Intermediate Value Theorem, to analyze the function.

5. Can the continuity of \sqrt{x} in R+ be proven using the definition of continuity?

Yes, the continuity of \sqrt{x} in R+ can be proven using the definition of continuity. By showing that the limit of the function at any point in R+ exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point, we can prove that the function is continuous in R+.