Prove: All Derivatives of f at 0 = 0 if Lim f(x)/x^n = 0 as x --> 0

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that all derivatives of a function at 0 are 0 if the function is infinitely continuously differentiable and f(0) = 0. The suggested approaches include using induction or Taylor expansion.
stukbv

Homework Statement

if f is infinitely continuously differentiable and f(0) = 0 then prove that all derivatives of f at 0 are 0 iff lim f(x)/x^n = 0 as x --> 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I didnt know whether to use induction on this,
I tried a base case so said that f'(0)=0 iff lim (f(x)/x) = 0 as x--> 0
But then it gets messy..
Think i might be on the wrong lines.

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, induction should be the way to go here. Did you already prove the base case? It shouldn't be too hard...

I don't think induction is the best approach. Try using the Taylor expansion of f instead.

EDIT: never mind, induction also works.

ideasrule said:
I don't think induction is the best approach. Try using the Taylor expansion of f instead.

EDIT: never mind, induction also works.

If you do Taylor expansion then you necessarily need to do induction. Note that f doesn't necessarily equal it's Taylor series!

Yeah i can do the base case and that's all proved etc but then i get stuck

For the induction hypothesis, try to calculate

[tex]\frac{f(x)}{x^n}[/tex]

by taking the Taylor expansion at 0. This will help you to evaluate the limit.

Related to Prove: All Derivatives of f at 0 = 0 if Lim f(x)/x^n = 0 as x --> 0

1. What does this statement mean?

This statement is stating that if the limit of f(x)/x^n is equal to 0 as x approaches 0, then all derivatives of f at 0 are also equal to 0.

2. How does this statement relate to calculus?

This statement is a fundamental concept in calculus known as the derivative definition of a limit. It shows that if a function's limit exists at a point, then all of its derivatives also exist at that point.

3. Can you provide an example of a function that satisfies this statement?

One example is the function f(x) = x^2. As x approaches 0, the limit of f(x)/x^n is equal to 0 for any value of n. This means that all derivatives of f at 0 are also equal to 0, as stated in the statement.

4. Is this statement always true?

Yes, this statement is always true. It is a fundamental principle in calculus that is used to prove many other theorems and concepts.

5. How can this statement be proven?

This statement can be proven using the derivative definition of a limit, which states that the derivative of a function at a point is equal to the limit of the function as x approaches that point. By using this definition and the given conditions, it can be shown that all derivatives of f at 0 must equal 0.