Prove a subgroup of G/H X G/K is isomorphic to G/(H intersect K)

• Thread starter Avatarjoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, to prove that G/H x G/K has a subgroup isomorphic to G/(H\capK), we can construct a homomorphism from G to G/H x G/K with kernel H\capK using the natural homomorphisms from G to G/H and G/K. By the first isomorphism theorem, the image of this homomorphism is a subgroup isomorphic to G/(H\capK).

Homework Statement

Suppose H and K are normal subgroups of G. Prove that G/H x G/K has a subgroup isomorphic to G/(H[itex]\cap[/itex]K)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to find a homomorphism from G to G/H x G/K where G/(H[itex]\cap[/itex]K) is the kernal. Maybe something like if g is in H it getts mapped to (Hg, e), but nothing like that worked. I'm really stuck on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

Suppose H and K are normal subgroups of G. Prove that G/H x G/K has a subgroup isomorphic to G/(H[itex]\cap[/itex]K)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to find a homomorphism from G to G/H x G/K where G/(H[itex]\cap[/itex]K) is the kernal.
That doesn't make any sense, because [itex]G/(H \cap K)[/itex] is not a subgroup of [itex]G[/itex]. What you need is a homomorphism with kernel [itex]H \cap K[/itex].

Assuming you're working with right cosets, the natural homomorphism from G to G/H is [itex]g \mapsto Hg[/itex], and the natural homomorphism from G to G/K is [itex]g \mapsto Kg[/itex]. Can you use these to construct a homomorphism from G to G/H x G/K?

That doesn't make any sense, because G/(H∩K) is not a subgroup of G. What you need is a homomorphism with kernel H∩K.

Assuming you're working with right cosets, the natural homomorphism from G to G/H is g↦Hg, and the natural homomorphism from G to G/K is g↦Kg. Can you use these to construct a homomorphism from G to G/H x G/K?

Right. Thanks, that is what I meant. So g↦ (Hg, Kg) is a homomorphism and that's easy to prove. Also H∩K will be the kernal. If I'm not mistaken, I just need to show that {Hg x Kg} is a subgroup of G/H x G/K and then the homomorphism will be onto that subgroup by the way I defined it. Then G/(H∩K) is isomorphic to {Hg x Kg}

Thanks for your help.

If I'm not mistaken, I just need to show that {Hg x Kg} is a subgroup of G/H x G/K
No need to do that - surely you have encountered the theorem that the image of a homomorphism is always a subgroup. If not, it's easy to prove - easier than trying to show it for a specific case like this one.

By the way, I understand what you mean by your notation, {Hg x Kg}, but I don't think it's very good notation. I would suggest writing something like [itex]\{(Hg, Kg) : g \in G\}[/itex].

Another question: have you seen the isomorphism theorems yet?? They might come in handy.

micromass said:
Another question: have you seen the isomorphism theorems yet?? They might come in handy.

I have been implicitly assuming that he has the first isomorphism theorem available. Avatarjoe, is that a valid assumption?

Related to Prove a subgroup of G/H X G/K is isomorphic to G/(H intersect K)

1. What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also forms a group under the same operation. In other words, a subgroup has all the same properties as the original group, but with a smaller set of elements.

2. What is G/H X G/K?

G/H X G/K is the direct product of two quotient groups, where G is the original group and H and K are normal subgroups of G. This means that G/H X G/K is the set of all ordered pairs (gH, gK) where g is an element of G.

3. How do we prove that a subgroup of G/H X G/K is isomorphic to G/(H intersect K)?

In order to prove isomorphism between two groups, we need to show that there exists a bijective homomorphism between them. This means that we need to find a function that maps elements from one group to the other in a way that preserves the group structure (i.e. the operation and identity element).

4. What is the significance of proving this isomorphism?

Proving isomorphism between two groups shows that they have the same structure and are essentially the same group, just with different elements. This can help us understand the properties and relationships between different groups.

5. Can this proof be applied to any group and its subgroups?

Yes, this proof can be applied to any group and its subgroups. As long as the subgroups are normal and the group operation is well-defined, we can use this method to show isomorphism between a subgroup of the direct product of two quotient groups and the quotient group of the intersection of the subgroups.