Prove 5 is not a member of the sequence

In summary, the problem states that the sequence a_1, a_2, ... is defined as the largest prime divisor of a_1a_2...a_{n-1}+1, with a_1 = 2. The task is to prove that 5 is not a member of this sequence. After analyzing the problem, it can be shown that both 2 and 3 cannot be divisors of a_1a_2...a_{n-1}+1. If 5 was the largest prime factor, then the number would be a power of 5, but this would mean a_1a_2...a_{n-1} would be divisible by 4, which
guildmage
I found this problem in a book for secondary students. It says it's from the Australian Mathematical Olympiad in 1982.

The sequence [tex]a_1,a_2,...[/tex] is defined as follows:

[tex]a_1 = 2[/tex] and for [tex]n \geq 2[/tex], [tex]a_n[/tex] is the largest prime divisor of [tex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}+1[/tex].

Prove that 5 is not a member of this sequence.

I don't know if my analysis of the problem is correct, but if 5 were a member of the sequence, then [tex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}+1=5q[/tex] for some [tex]q\in{\textbf{N}}[/tex].

For [tex]q[/tex] even, then [tex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}+1[/tex] is even, which means [tex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}[/tex] is odd. But [tex]a_1 = 2[/tex] so that [tex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}[/tex] is even. A contradiction.

How do I show that for [tex]q[/tex] odd? Or do I have to resort to a different approach?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if that were the case, then [tex]a_1...a_n+1=2^a3^b5^c=2*3*a_3...a_n+1[/tex], so a=b=0. I can't go further. But maybe the chinese remainder theorem can be used, since [tex]7*a_4...a_n\equiv 2*a_4...a_n\equiv 4 (\mod 5^k)[/tex] for all k<c+1.

Last edited:
guildmage said:
I found this problem in a book for secondary students. It says its from the Australian Mathematical Olympiad in 1982.

The sequence [tex]a_1,a_2,...[/tex] is defined as follows:

[tex]a_1 = 2[/tex] and for [tex]n \geq 2[/tex], [tex]a_n[/tex] is the largest prime divisor of [tex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}+1[/tex].

Prove that 5 is not a member of this sequence.

I don't know if my analysis of the problem is correct, but if 5 were a member of the sequence, then [tex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}+1=5q[/tex] for some [tex]q\in{\textbf{N}}[/tex].

For [tex]q[/tex] even, then [tex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}+1[/tex] is even, which means [tex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}[/tex] is odd. But [tex]a_1 = 2[/tex] so that [tex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}[/tex] is even. A contradiction.

How do I show that for [tex]q[/tex] odd? Or do I have to resort to a different approach?
it can be shown that both 2 and 3 are not divisors since 2 and 3 are members of the sequence and the product + 1 is not divisible by prime factors of the product. If 5 was the largest prime factor then the number is a power of 5 and ends in 25. That would seem to call for a different approach.

Here's where I started before I got lazy:

The first three terms of the sequence are 2, 3, and 7. It's easy to see that if p is in the sequence, then p does not divide [tex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}+1[/tex]; thus, a given prime can appear at most once. Now, if [tex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}+1[/tex] has a prime factor other than 5, this cannot be 2 or 3 since they're in the sequence, so it would have to be a prime larger than 5. Therefore, the only way for the largest prime factor to be 5 is for [tex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}+1[/tex] to be a power of 5.

Tibarn said:
Therefore, the only way for the largest prime factor to be 5 is for [tex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}+1[/tex] to be a power of 5.

Aren't you done? Then [itex]a_1a_2...a_{n-1}[/itex] is divisible by 4. But there is at most one power of two in that product.

I see. Then I suppose it is not necessary to split the problem into two cases (q even and q odd).

Related to Prove 5 is not a member of the sequence

1. How do you prove that 5 is not a member of a given sequence?

To prove that 5 is not a member of a sequence, we need to show that it does not follow the pattern or rule that the sequence is following. This can be done by either finding a counterexample or using a proof by contradiction.

2. What is a counterexample in the context of proving 5 is not a member of a sequence?

A counterexample is a specific example or instance that contradicts a given statement or claim. In the context of proving 5 is not a member of a sequence, a counterexample would be a number that does not fit the pattern or rule of the sequence, thus disproving the statement that 5 is a member of the sequence.

3. Can we use mathematical induction to prove that 5 is not a member of a sequence?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove that a statement holds for all natural numbers. Since 5 is a specific number, it cannot be used in a mathematical induction proof.

4. Is it possible for 5 to be a member of a sequence with an infinite number of terms?

No, if 5 is not a member of the sequence for the first few terms, it will not suddenly become a member for the infinite terms. The pattern or rule of a sequence is consistent and does not change, so 5 will never be a member of that sequence.

5. Are there any other methods for proving that 5 is not a member of a sequence besides using a counterexample and proof by contradiction?

Yes, there are various other methods that can be used to prove that 5 is not a member of a sequence. These include using the definition of a sequence, using the properties of different types of sequences (e.g. arithmetic, geometric, etc.), and using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to show that 5 does not fit the given pattern or rule of the sequence.