Protozoa Questions: Body Response, Travel & Comparison

• Thread starter gordda
  • Start date
In summary, protozoa are single cell eukaryotic pathogen that can be spread by a vector, have a similar immune response to other types of pathogens, and can have similar life cycle even if its not in the same vector host.
gordda
Hello does anyone know the answer to these questions of the pathogen protozoa? i don't know whether to generalize all protozoa as the same or not?

1)How do the body respond to an invasion of protozoa and would be the same for most different types of protozoa?

2)Also do most type of protozoa travel in the same manner via vector?

3)And lastly was are the similarities and differences between protozoa and the other types of pathogens (viruses, bacteria, fungi, anthropodsand prions)?

thanx :)

Biology news on Phys.org
I would be happy to give you my thoughts on your query. But first, relating to your questions, what information have you already learned about Protozoa?

i know that all protozoa is a single cell eukaryotic pathogen. i know some protozoa spread themselves by a vector, i know that in some cases like malaria the protozoa will change its antigen so that it can't be detected by the body's immune system and i also know that any pathogen that doesn't fit in the category of bacteria, virus, fungi or arthopods are then cataergorized into protozoa.
thats what i know about protozoa. i just want to know a bit more about them in terms of the difference between protoza and other pathogen and do all protozoa have the same way to avoid destruction when it infects a host and if not how do the protozoa that don't avoid destruction how does the body immune responsed to the protozoa.

Antigenic variation is a common virulence factor amongs pathogens (bacteria, virus and protozoa) that helps to evade the immune respond. However, each pathogen have more or less different ways of avoiding the immune system. Some also may want to be recognized by the immune system in order to finish their life cycle or have a successful invasion.

The immune responce is quite similar from bacteria to virus to protozoan. However, there is some protozoan/eukaryotes specific types of response.

As far as vectors goes, the travel through vectors is often species specific. For example, the malaria protozoan (Plasmodium) will have a different life cycle in their vector host when sleeping sickness protozoan (Trypanosoma). There is probably common feature between both organism but the host vector will have an effect on the life cycle. Protozoan that are transmitted by the same type of vector may have very similar life cycle inside the host vector. Protozoan of the same genus will also have very similar life cycle even it its not in the same vector host.

Last edited:

Related to Protozoa Questions: Body Response, Travel & Comparison

1. What are protozoa and how do they respond to their environment?

Protozoa are single-celled organisms that belong to the kingdom Protista. They are found in various environments such as water, soil, and the bodies of other organisms. Protozoa respond to their environment through various mechanisms, including movement, feeding, and reproduction.

2. Can protozoa cause diseases in humans during travel?

Yes, some protozoa can cause diseases in humans when traveling to different regions. For example, the protozoan parasite Plasmodium causes malaria, which is commonly contracted by travelers visiting areas with high mosquito populations.

3. How do protozoa compare to other types of organisms?

Protozoa are unicellular organisms, meaning they are made up of only one cell. This sets them apart from multicellular organisms, such as plants and animals. They also differ from bacteria and fungi, as they are eukaryotic and contain a nucleus and other membrane-bound organelles.

4. How do protozoa move and feed?

Protozoa have various methods of movement, including flagella, cilia, and pseudopods. Some protozoa are also immobile. In terms of feeding, protozoa can be autotrophic, meaning they can produce their own food through photosynthesis, or heterotrophic, meaning they obtain nutrients by consuming other organisms.

5. Can protozoa be beneficial to humans?

Yes, some protozoa have beneficial roles in human health and the environment. For instance, some protozoa are used in wastewater treatment to break down organic matter. Additionally, some protozoa live in the gut of termites and aid in the digestion of wood. Certain protozoa also play a role in food chains and nutrient cycling in ecosystems.