Proton release inside a parallel capacitor Find velocity

In summary, the electric field inside a parallel-plate capacitor with 8.60 mm spacing is 47100 N/C. Using the equation ΔU=-.5eEd, the change in potential energy is calculated to be -3.768*10^-15. However, this does not provide the correct answer for the speed of a proton released from rest at the positive plate and reaching the negative plate.
conov3

Homework Statement

The electric field strength is 47100 N/C inside a parallel-plate capacitor with 8.60 mm spacing. A proton is released from rest at the positive plate. What is the speed of the proton (in m/s) when it reaches the negative plate?

Homework Equations

Vf=√(-2U/m) I think?
ΔU=-.5eEd

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using that equation to find ΔU=-3.768*10^-15
then plugged it in seem to have the wrong final answer though

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi conov3! welcome to pf! :wink:
conov3 said:
ΔU=-.5eEd

why .5 ?

Thank you! I figured since I am in a college level physics, I might as well try to get some help if I need it! ha

Using my Physics book.. it says ΔU=Uf-Ui= (Uo+ (-e)Ed)-(Uo+(-e)E(d/2)
Then under that it says =-1/2eEd

I am confused about it also and am really unsure.

conov3 said:
Using my Physics book.. it says ΔU=Uf-Ui= (Uo+ (-e)Ed)-(Uo+(-e)E(d/2)

i don't understand that … it doesn't seem to fit the question :confused:

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and principles that apply to this situation. In this case, we are dealing with an electric field and a charged particle, so we can apply the principles of electrostatics and motion of charged particles in electric fields.

The first step would be to calculate the electric potential difference (ΔV) between the two plates. This can be done using the equation ΔV = Ed, where E is the electric field strength and d is the distance between the plates. In this case, we have E = 47100 N/C and d = 8.60 mm = 0.0086 m. Therefore, ΔV = (47100 N/C)(0.0086 m) = 405.06 V.

Next, we can use the equation ΔV = -ΔU/q, where ΔU is the change in potential energy and q is the charge of the particle. In this case, the proton has a charge of +1.60 x 10^-19 C. Therefore, we can rearrange the equation to solve for ΔU, which gives us ΔU = -qΔV = (-1.60 x 10^-19 C)(405.06 V) = -6.48 x 10^-17 J.

Now, we can use the equation ΔU = -0.5mv^2 to calculate the final velocity (v) of the proton. Rearranging the equation gives us v = √(-2ΔU/m), where m is the mass of the proton. Substituting the values, we get v = √((-2)(-6.48 x 10^-17 J)/(1.67 x 10^-27 kg)) = 1.98 x 10^6 m/s.

Therefore, the speed of the proton when it reaches the negative plate is 1.98 x 10^6 m/s.

Related to Proton release inside a parallel capacitor Find velocity

1. How does a parallel capacitor release protons?

A parallel capacitor releases protons through a process called ionization, where the atoms within the capacitor's plates lose or gain electrons, creating an imbalance of charges and resulting in the release of protons.

2. What factors affect the velocity of protons inside a parallel capacitor?

The velocity of protons inside a parallel capacitor is affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance between the capacitor's plates, and the mass of the protons.

3. How is the velocity of protons related to the voltage of the capacitor?

The velocity of protons is directly proportional to the voltage of the capacitor. As the voltage increases, the electric field becomes stronger, and the protons gain more energy, resulting in a higher velocity.

4. Can the velocity of protons inside a parallel capacitor be controlled?

Yes, the velocity of protons inside a parallel capacitor can be controlled by adjusting the voltage, distance between plates, and strength of the electric field. These factors can be manipulated to achieve a desired velocity.

5. Is the velocity of protons constant inside a parallel capacitor?

No, the velocity of protons inside a parallel capacitor is not constant. It depends on the strength of the electric field and the distance between plates. As the protons move closer to the plates, the electric field gets stronger, resulting in an increase in velocity. However, as the protons move further away, the electric field weakens, causing a decrease in velocity.