Proton in a uniform electric field

In summary, the problem involves a proton being projected in the positive x direction into a region of uniform electric field. The initial velocity and time it takes for the proton to stop must be found. Using the equation qE=ma, the acceleration can be calculated. By integrating this with respect to time, the velocity equation is obtained. Then, using the position function, the time it takes for the proton to stop can be found. However, there was a mistake in the calculation of the initial velocity, which resulted in a value that appeared to be faster than the speed of light. After correcting this mistake, the correct value for the initial velocity was found.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

A proton is projected in the positive x direction into a region of uniform electric field E = (-5.80 ✕ 10^5) N/C at t = 0. The proton travels 6.50 cm as it comes to rest.

Find the initial velocity and the time it takes for the proton to stop.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The charge of the proton multiplied by the electric field must equal the mass of the proton times the acceleration

qE=ma

hence

a= (-5.556x10^13)

Constant accelecration, integrate with respect to time to get velocity

V= Vi - 5.556x10^13 t

X= 0 + Vi(t) - 2.2778 t^2

Since initial position = 0.

Using the position function to find the time it takes to stop:

.065m = (5.556x10^13)t^2 - (2.2778x10^13)t^2

solving for t, t= 4.8x10^-8 s

Plugging this back to the velocity equation where at t= 4.8x10^-8 s the final velocity = 0 therefore:

Vi=(5.556x10^13 (m/s^2))(4.8x10^-8 s)

Clearly not right, it's faster than the SOL.
Where am I going wrong?

ps. I don't like to memorize stuff so please don't refer me to the kinematic equations. I prefer to derive them by myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to solve ##v dv = a dx## assuming that ##v = v_i## at ##x = x_0 = 0##.

Or just use ##v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2a \Delta x## to save some time.

Also that acceleration should be positive I think.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I did? It doesn't seem to be working. I missed something along the way.

Acceleration can't be positive since it's slowing down and moving in the positive x-direction.

Feodalherren said:
That's exactly what I did? It doesn't seem to be working. I missed something along the way.

Acceleration can't be positive since it's slowing down and moving in the positive x-direction.

Ahh so the electric field is in the ##(- \hat i)## direction.

You seem to be solving ##a = \frac{dv}{dt}##.

Well yes, but only as an initial step. Once I have that I integrate once more to solve for the position function. I can't see anything wrong with it :/.

You can find a relationship between velocity and position because you have the constant acceleration.$$v dv = a dx$$
$$\int_{v_i}^{0} v dv = \int_{0}^{0.065} a dx$$

This let's you solve for the initial velocity. The time taken can now be found from ##a = \frac{dv}{dt}##, or simply use ##v_f = v_i + at##.

But that's exactly what I did...

Feodalherren said:
But that's exactly what I did...

Look at the integral limits carefully and ask yourself where you went wrong.

I honestly have no clue. This is how I did all of my mechanics in Physics I. I never bothered to remember the kinematic equations as just integrating / taking derivatives worked for everything. I'm missing something fundamental.

Why can't I just integrate from acceleration to velocity to position?

Everything looks correct to me too, I'm not sure then.

Feodalherren said:
Vi=(5.556x10^13 (m/s^2))(4.8x10^-8 s)

Clearly not right, it's faster than the SOL.
Where am I going wrong?

What numerical value do you get for Vi? And what is the speed of light? :smile:

ehild

Vi≈3*106

Vi=(5.556x10^13 (m/s^2))(4.8x10^-8 s)= 2,666,880 m/s

... my bad I thought the SOL was about 3 x 10^6 m/s but that's km/s.

Thanks ehild.

Feodalherren said:
Vi=(5.556x10^13 (m/s^2))(4.8x10^-8 s)= 2,666,880 m/s

... my bad I thought the SOL was about 3 x 10^6 m/s but that's km/s.

Thanks ehild.

No. So what is the SOL? You need to know the magnitude...
3x10^5 km/s = 3x10^8 m/s

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Don't worry about it, I solved it. Thanks again :).

Related to Proton in a uniform electric field

1. What is a proton in a uniform electric field?

A proton in a uniform electric field refers to a positively charged particle, with a charge of +1, being placed in an electric field that has a constant magnitude and direction. This field can be created by two parallel plates with opposite charges, or by a point charge at a distance.

2. How does a proton behave in a uniform electric field?

In a uniform electric field, a proton will experience a force in the direction of the field. The magnitude of this force is given by the equation F=qE, where q is the charge of the proton and E is the magnitude of the electric field. The proton will accelerate in the direction of the field, with a constant acceleration given by a=qE/m, where m is the mass of the proton.

3. What is the relationship between the electric field and the force experienced by a proton?

The force experienced by a proton in a uniform electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the electric field. This means that as the electric field increases, the force on the proton will also increase. Additionally, the direction of the force will always be in the same direction as the electric field.

4. How does the motion of a proton in a uniform electric field differ from a charged particle in a non-uniform electric field?

In a uniform electric field, the force on the proton is constant and the acceleration is uniform. This means that the proton will move in a straight line at a constant speed. In a non-uniform electric field, the force and acceleration will vary at different points in the field, causing the particle to accelerate and change direction.

5. What are some real-life applications of a proton in a uniform electric field?

A proton in a uniform electric field is commonly used in particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to accelerate and guide protons towards collisions. It is also used in mass spectrometers to separate and identify different particles based on their mass-to-charge ratio. The concept of a proton in a uniform electric field is also important in understanding the behavior of ions in solutions, which has applications in fields such as chemistry and biochemistry.