Proton Deflection when traversing a a Parallel-plate Capacitor

In summary: Where P is the charge of proton which is 1.6x10^-19 C, E is the electric field strength which is (1/2)(1.0x10^-6 C/m^2)= 5x10^-7 N/C, and m is the mass of proton which is 1.67x10^-27 kg.In summary, the problem involves a parallel-plate capacitor with specific dimensions and surface charge densities, and a proton traveling at a given velocity enters the gap between the plates. The question asks for the distance the proton is deflected when it reaches the far edge of the capacitor, assuming a uniform electric field inside the capacitor and no field outside. The initial attempt at a solution involved using
Colton1995

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor has 4.0cm × 4.0cm electrodes with surface charge densities ±1.0×10^−6C/m2. A proton traveling parallel to the electrodes at 2.0×10^6m/s enters the center of the gap between them.
Part A
By what distance has the proton been deflected sideways when it reaches the far edge of the capacitor? Assume the field is uniform inside the capacitor and zero outside the capacitor.

Homework Equations

Ek=(1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the kinetic energy using the above equation, Ek=(1/2)(1.67x10^-27kg)(2.0x10^6m/s = 1.67x10^-21J.
I'm pretty sure that I'm suppose to split it up into x and y variables to solve for delta y, but I am completely stuck. I would normally look at the answer and try to work it out from there but I am doing extra practice questions for review for my final and my prof. hasn't posted the answers yet. I'm not looking for an answer, but rather a push in the right direction. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think using energy is the way to solve this problem. I would suggest just a simple kinematic approach using Coulomb's Law.

By using acceleration formula with electric field.
a= (P x E) / m

Related to Proton Deflection when traversing a a Parallel-plate Capacitor

1. What is proton deflection when traversing a parallel-plate capacitor?

Proton deflection refers to the change in direction of a proton's path when it passes through a parallel-plate capacitor due to the electric field created by the charged plates.

2. How does a parallel-plate capacitor affect the trajectory of a proton?

The electric field between the charged plates of a parallel-plate capacitor exerts a force on the proton, causing it to change direction and be deflected.

3. What factors affect the degree of proton deflection in a parallel-plate capacitor?

The degree of proton deflection depends on the strength of the electric field, the charge of the plates, the mass of the proton, and the velocity of the proton.

4. Can proton deflection be controlled in a parallel-plate capacitor?

Yes, the degree of proton deflection can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electric field or the charge on the plates.

5. What is the practical application of studying proton deflection in a parallel-plate capacitor?

Understanding proton deflection in a parallel-plate capacitor is important in fields such as particle physics and nuclear medicine, where charged particles are manipulated and controlled using electric fields.