Proposition 3.1.2 in B&K: Help Needed on Exact Sequences/Noetherian Rings

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to a proof in the book "An Introduction to Rings and Modules with K-theory in View" by A.J. Berrick and M.E. Keating. The first question pertains to the existence of an exact sequence in the proof of Proposition 3.1.2, while the second question concerns the proof that a submodule is finitely generated.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading the book "An Introduction to Rings and Modules with K-theory in View" by A.J. Berrick and M.E. Keating ... ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 3; Noetherian Rings and Polynomial Rings.

I need help with yet another aspect of the proof of Proposition 3.1.2.

The statement and proof of Proposition 3.1.2 reads as follows (pages 109-110):https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4873
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4874I need help with an aspect of the above proof ... indeed, I have two questions ...Question 1

In the above text from B&K write the following:

" ... ... Conversely, consider a submodule \(\displaystyle N\) of \(\displaystyle M\). Let \(\displaystyle N' = N \cap \alpha M'\) and let \(\displaystyle N''\) be the image of \(\displaystyle N\) in \(\displaystyle M''\), so that there is an exact sequence ... ... "

My question is as follows:

How do we know such an exact sequence exists ... that is, how do we demonstrate, formally and rigorously, that such a sequence exists ... ... ?Question 2

In the above text we read:

" ... ... Since both \(\displaystyle N'\) and \(\displaystyle N''\) are finitely generated, so also is \(\displaystyle N\). ... ... "

How can we demonstrate, formally and rigorously that \(\displaystyle N'\) and \(\displaystyle N''\) being finitely generated, imply that \(\displaystyle N\) is finitely generated ... ...Hope someone can help with these two questions ... ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
$N\cap \alpha M'$ is a submodule of $N$ so we have an injective homomorphism:

$i: N' \to N$ given by $i(n') = n'$.

So let $\beta' = \beta|_N$.

Then $\beta'(i(n')) = \beta(n') = \beta(\alpha(m')) = 0_{M''}$ for some $m' \in M'$ since $N' = N \cap \alpha M' \subseteq \text{im }\alpha $, by the exactness of our original sequence.

This shows that $\text{im }i \subseteq \text{ker }\beta'$.

On the other hand, if, for $n \in N$, we have $\beta'(n) = 0_{M''}$, then since $\beta'$ is just a restriction of $\beta$, it follows that $\beta(n) = 0_{M''}$, and by the exactness of our original sequence $n \in \text{im }\alpha$.

Hence $n \in N \cap \alpha M' = \text{im }i$, so $\text{im } i = \text{ker }\beta'$.

Now $N'' = \beta'(N) = \beta(N)$ so it is immediate that $\beta':N \to N''$ is surjective and our sequence is short exact.

I'll work on question 2, later.

Deveno said:
$N\cap \alpha M'$ is a submodule of $N$ so we have an injective homomorphism:

$i: N' \to N$ given by $i(n') = n'$.

So let $\beta' = \beta|_N$.

Then $\beta'(i(n')) = \beta(n') = \beta(\alpha(m')) = 0_{M''}$ for some $m' \in M'$ since $N' = N \cap \alpha M' \subseteq \text{im }\alpha $, by the exactness of our original sequence.

This shows that $\text{im }i \subseteq \text{ker }\beta'$.

On the other hand, if, for $n \in N$, we have $\beta'(n) = 0_{M''}$, then since $\beta'$ is just a restriction of $\beta$, it follows that $\beta(n) = 0_{M''}$, and by the exactness of our original sequence $n \in \text{im }\alpha$.

Hence $n \in N \cap \alpha M' = \text{im }i$, so $\text{im } i = \text{ker }\beta'$.

Now $N'' = \beta'(N) = \beta(N)$ so it is immediate that $\beta':N \to N''$ is surjective and our sequence is short exact.

I'll work on question 2, later.
Thanks Deveno ... appreciate your help ...

Will be working through your post shortly ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Related to Proposition 3.1.2 in B&K: Help Needed on Exact Sequences/Noetherian Rings

1. What is Proposition 3.1.2 in B&K?

Proposition 3.1.2 in B&K refers to a specific proposition in the book "Commutative Algebra" written by Bourbaki and Kaplansky. It deals with exact sequences and Noetherian rings, which are important concepts in abstract algebra.

2. What is the significance of Proposition 3.1.2?

Proposition 3.1.2 is significant because it provides a useful tool for understanding the behavior of exact sequences in Noetherian rings. It helps to establish connections between different objects in abstract algebra and is often used in proofs and constructions in this field.

3. How is this proposition used in abstract algebra?

Proposition 3.1.2 is used in abstract algebra to show the existence and uniqueness of certain objects, such as homomorphisms and kernels, in Noetherian rings. It also helps to establish relationships between different structures in algebra, making it a valuable tool for understanding the subject.

4. Can you provide an example of how Proposition 3.1.2 is applied?

One example of how Proposition 3.1.2 is applied is in the proof of the exactness of the sequence in the fundamental theorem of finitely generated modules over a Noetherian ring. This proposition is used to show the existence and uniqueness of certain maps in this proof.

5. Are there any prerequisites for understanding Proposition 3.1.2?

Yes, a basic understanding of abstract algebra and Noetherian rings is necessary to understand and apply Proposition 3.1.2. Familiarity with concepts such as exact sequences, homomorphisms, and kernels is also helpful in understanding the proposition.