Noetherian Modules: Direct Sums & Bland Proposition 4.2.7

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules Sums
In summary, the conversation is about a specific proposition, 4.2.7, in Paul E. Bland's book "Rings and Their Modules". The proposition involves a short exact sequence and the conversation focuses on understanding the proof of one part of it. The conversation delves into the details of the sequence and the R-linear mappings involved, and the experts provide guidance and clarification on how to approach and prove the proposition. The summary concludes by stating that the conversation confirms the exactness of the sequence, as well as the need to prove the proposition itself.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 4.2: Noetherian and Artinian Modules and need some further help to fully understand the proof of part of Proposition 4.2.7 ... ...

Proposition 4.2.7 reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/8209In the above proof, when Bland is dealing with the converse, we read the following:

" ... ... Then the short exact sequence

\(\displaystyle 0 \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n-1 } M_i \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i \longrightarrow M_n \longrightarrow 0\) ... ... "Now I understand the induction argument that Bland goes on to talk about ... but we need to establish that the sequence of modules given is indeed a short exact sequence ... so ... some questions follow ... ... When an author gives a short exact sequence such as

\(\displaystyle 0 \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n-1 } M_i \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i \longrightarrow M_n \longrightarrow 0\)

is he/she implying that the R-linear mappings (R-module homomorphisms ...) involved are obvious ... ?If that is the case then what are the obvious R-module homomorphisms in the case of

\(\displaystyle 0 \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n-1 } M_i \stackrel{ f }{ \longrightarrow } \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i \stackrel{ g }{ \longrightarrow } M_n \longrightarrow 0\)

and how does \(\displaystyle \text{ I am } f = \text{ Ker } g\) ...Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can assume that the R-maps are obvious, in this case;

$f = j_{n-1}$ is the inclusion $\bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n-1 } M_i \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i$

and $g = p_n$ is the projection $\bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i \longrightarrow M_n$

Of course $p_n \circ j_{n-1} = 0$, so jou have to prove that $\text{ker } p_n \subset \text{im } j_{n-1}$

Recall Example 6 p.47, before you go further.

steenis said:

$f = j_{n-1}$ is the inclusion $\bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n-1 } M_i \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i$

and $g = p_n$ is the projection $\bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i \longrightarrow M_n$

Of course $p_n \circ j_{n-1} = 0$, so jou have to prove that $\text{ker } p_n \subset \text{im } j_{n-1}$

Thanks Steenis ...

Appreciate your help and guidance...

Peter

steenis said:

Consider ...

\(\displaystyle 0 \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n-1 } M_i \stackrel{ f }{ \longrightarrow } \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i \stackrel{ g }{ \longrightarrow } M_n \longrightarrow 0\)

We have \(\displaystyle f \equiv j_{ n - 1 } \ : \ \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n-1 } M_i \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i\)

where \(\displaystyle j_{ n - 1 } ( x_1, x_2, \ ... \ ... \ , x_{ n-1 } ) = ( x_1, x_2, \ ... \ ... \ , x_{ n-1 } , 0 )\)

... note that \(\displaystyle j_{ n - 1 }\) is a canonical injection ( see Bland page 39)
\(\displaystyle g \equiv p_n \ : \ \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i \longrightarrow M_n \)

where \(\displaystyle p_n ( x_1, x_2, \ ... \ ... \ , x_n ) = x_n \)

... note that \(\displaystyle p_n\) is a canonical projection ( see Bland page 39) Now ... \(\displaystyle \text{ I am } f = \text{ I am } j_{ n - 1 } = M_1 \times M_2 \times \ ... \ ... \ M_{ n-1 } \times 0\)

and

\(\displaystyle \text{ Ker } g = \text{ Ker } p_n = = M_1 \times M_2 \times \ ... \ ... \ M_{ n-1 } \times 0\)... so ... \(\displaystyle \text{ I am } f = \text{ Ker } g\)Hence \(\displaystyle 0 \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n-1 } M_i \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i \longrightarrow M_n \longrightarrow 0\)

is a short exact sequence ...
Is that correct?

Peter

Last edited:
Yes, that is correct, because $j_{n-1}$ is injective en $p_n$ is surjective.

But you are not ready yet.

steenis said:
Yes, that is correct, because $j_{n-1}$ is injective en $p_n$ is surjective.

But you are not ready yet.
I assume that when you say: "But you are not ready yet." ... that you mean I need to show that the sequence ...\(\displaystyle 0 \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n-1 } M_i \stackrel{ j_{ n - 1} }{ \longrightarrow } \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i \stackrel{ p_n }{ \longrightarrow } M_n \stackrel{ s }{ \longrightarrow } 0\)... is not only exact at \(\displaystyle \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i\) (which I have shown ... ) ... but .. is also exact at \(\displaystyle \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n-1 } M_i\) and at \(\displaystyle M_n\) ... ... Is that correct ...?If that is correct then note that ...

\(\displaystyle \text{ Ker } j_{ n-1 } = (0, 0, \ ... \ ... \ , 0)\) (\(\displaystyle n -1\) elements) \(\displaystyle = \text{ I am } 0\) ...

... and ...

\(\displaystyle \text{ I am } p_n = M_n = \text{ Ker } s\) ...So ... \(\displaystyle 0 \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n-1 } M_i \stackrel{ j_{ n - 1} }{ \longrightarrow } \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i \stackrel{ p_n }{ \longrightarrow } M_n \stackrel{ s }{ \longrightarrow } 0\)... is an exact sequence ...Is that correct?

Peter

Yes it is correct. No it is not what I meant.

You still have to prove the proposition: if $M_i$ is noetherian then $\bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i$ is noetherian.

steenis said:
Yes it is correct. No it is not what I meant.

You still have to prove the proposition: if $M_i$ is noetherian then $\bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i$ is noetherian.
Hi Steenis ... thanks for your help ...

I was happy with Bland's proof ... but anyway ...To prove ... if $M_i$ is Noetherian then $\bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i$ is Noetherian.Assume each \(\displaystyle M_i\) is Noetherian ...Now enter induction process ...

We have that $\bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ 1 } M_i = M_1 $ is Noetherian ...

Assume that \(\displaystyle \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ m } M_i\) is Noetherian for each integer \(\displaystyle n\) such that \(\displaystyle 1 \lt m \lt n\) ...

Then in the short exact sequence ...

\(\displaystyle 0 \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n-1 } M_i \longrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i \longrightarrow M_n \longrightarrow 0\) we have

\(\displaystyle \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n-1 } M_i\) is Noetherian because of the assumption in the induction process ...

... and ...

\(\displaystyle M_n\) is Noetherian by assumption ...

so that \(\displaystyle \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^{ n } M_i\) is Noetherian by Corollary 4.2.4 ...Thus the induction process gives us our desired result ...Is that correct?

Peter

Yes that is correct. I am sorry Peter, I thought it was an exercise. I didnot sleep good this night.

steenis said:
Yes that is correct. I am sorry Peter, I thought it was an exercise. I didnot sleep good this night.
That is OK, Steenis ...

Good exercise anyway ... :) ...

Sorry that you didn't sleep well ...

Thanks again for your help ... it is much appreciated...

Peter

Related to Noetherian Modules: Direct Sums & Bland Proposition 4.2.7

1. What is a Noetherian module?

A Noetherian module is a module that satisfies the ascending chain condition, meaning that for any increasing chain of submodules, there exists a finite number of submodules in the chain.

2. What is a direct sum of modules?

A direct sum of modules is a module that is constructed by adding together two or more modules, where the elements of the direct sum are the corresponding elements from each individual module.

3. How is the direct sum of modules related to Noetherian modules?

A Noetherian module is considered to be a direct sum of finitely generated submodules, meaning that it can be constructed by adding together a finite number of submodules.

4. What is Bland Proposition 4.2.7?

Bland Proposition 4.2.7 is a proposition in abstract algebra that states that a Noetherian module is a direct sum of finitely many indecomposable submodules.

5. Why is Bland Proposition 4.2.7 significant?

This proposition is significant because it provides a way to break down a complex Noetherian module into smaller, more manageable submodules. It also helps to understand the structure and properties of Noetherian modules in a more systematic way.