Properties of the so(n) lie algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the generators and dimension of the ##SO(n)## group, as well as the basis for the so(n) Lie algebra and its commutator in the defining representation. It goes on to define the so(n) algebra using the commutator and shows a specific example of this definition. Finally, it introduces the Cartan metric tensor and its relation to the group ##SO(n)##, showing that the group is semisimple and compact for ##n>2##. In summary, the conversation covers the properties of the ##SO(n)## group and its algebra.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

The generators of the ##SO(n)## group are pure imaginary antisymmetric ##n \times n## matrices. Therefore, the dimension of the ##SO(n)## group is ##\frac{n(n-1)}{2}##. Therefore, the basis for the so(n) Lie algebra is given by the ##\frac{n(n-1)}{2}## basis vectors as follows: ##(A_{ab})_{st} = -i(\delta_{s[a}\delta_{b]t})##.

In the above, ##ab##, where ##a < b##, labels the generator, and ##st## labels the matrix element.

1. Prove that the commutator in the defining representation is given by: ##([A_{ij},A_{mn}])_{st} = -i(A_{j[m}\delta_{n]i}-A_{i[m}\delta_{n]j})_{st}##.

Now, define the so(n) algebra using ##([A_{ij},A_{mn}]) = -i(A_{j[m}\delta_{n]i}-A_{i[m}\delta_{n]j})##.

2. Show that ##[A_{ij},A_{mn}] = i\delta_{k[j}\delta_{i][m}\delta_{n]s}A_{ks}##.

Now, define ##[A_{ij},A_{mn}] = if_{ij,mn}^{ks}A_{ks}##. where ##f_{ij,mn}^{ks}=\delta_{k[j}\delta_{i][m}\delta_{n]s}##.

3. Show that the Cartan metric tensor ##g_{ij,ps} = 2(n-2)\delta_{ij,ps}##. Hence, show that the group ##SO(n)## is semisimple and compact for ##n>2##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Here goes nothing.

##([A_{ij},A_{mn}])_{st}##
##=(A_{ij}A_{mn})_{st}-(A_{mn}A_{ij})_{st}##
##=(A_{ij})_{su}(A_{mn})_{ut}-(A_{mn})_{su}(A_{ij})_{ut}##
##=(A_{ij})_{su}[-i(\delta_{u[m}\delta_{n]t})]-(A_{mn})_{su}[-i(\delta_{u[i}\delta_{j]t})]##
##=-i[(A_{ij})_{su}(\delta_{um}\delta_{nt}-\delta_{un}\delta_{mt})-(A_{mn})_{su}(\delta_{ui}\delta_{jt}-\delta_{uj}\delta_{it})]##
##=-i[(A_{ij})_{sm}\delta_{nt}-(A_{ij})_{sn}\delta_{mt}-(A_{mn})_{si}\delta_{jt}+(A_{mn})_{sj}\delta_{it}]##
##=-[\delta_{si}\delta_{jm}\delta_{nt}-\delta_{sj}\delta_{im}\delta_{nt}-\delta_{si}\delta_{jn}\delta_{mt}+\delta_{sj}\delta_{in}\delta_{mt}-\delta_{sm}\delta_{ni}\delta_{jt}+\delta_{sn}\delta_{mi}\delta_{jt}+\delta_{sm}\delta_{nj}\delta_{it}-\delta_{sn}\delta_{mj}\delta_{it}]##
##=-i(-i\delta_{sj}\delta_{mt}\delta_{ni}+i\delta_{sm}\delta_{jt}\delta_{ni}+i\delta_{sj}\delta_{nt}\delta_{mi}-i\delta_{sn}\delta_{jt}\delta_{mi}+i\delta_{si}\delta_{mt}\delta_{nj}-i\delta_{sm}\delta_{it}\delta_{nj}-i\delta_{si}\delta_{nt}\delta_{mj}+i\delta_{sn}\delta_{it}\delta_{mj})##
##=-i((A_{jm})_{st}\delta_{ni}-(A_{jn})_{st}\delta_{mi}-(A_{im})_{st}\delta_{nj}+(A_{in})_{st}\delta_{mj})##
##=-i(A_{jm}\delta_{ni}-A_{jn}\delta_{mi}-A_{im}\delta_{nj}+A_{in}\delta_{mj})_{st}##
##-i(A_{j[m}\delta_{n]i}-A_{i[m}\delta_{n]j})_{st}##

Is this the best way to prove part 1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I feel like there must be a simpler way, but I can't think of one.

2. I'm not sure how to proceed with this one. I'm not sure what the notation ##[A_{ij},A_{mn}] = i\delta_{k[j}\delta_{i][m}\delta_{n]s}A_{ks}## means. Does it mean that ##[A_{ij},A_{mn}] = i\delta_{k[j}\delta_{i][m}\delta_{n]s}A_{ks}## is defined for all ##i,j,m,n,k,s##?

3. Again, not sure how to proceed. I'm also not sure what the Cartan metric tensor is or how it relates to the rest of the problem. Any hints or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Related to Properties of the so(n) lie algebra

1. What is the so(n) Lie algebra?

The so(n) Lie algebra is a type of mathematical structure that is used to describe the properties and relationships of certain groups of matrices. Specifically, it is the set of all n x n matrices that are skew-symmetric, meaning that they are equal to the negative of their own transpose. This algebra is named after the special orthogonal group, denoted as SO(n), which is the group of all n x n orthogonal matrices with determinant 1.

2. How is the so(n) Lie algebra related to other Lie algebras?

The so(n) Lie algebra is a special case of the general linear Lie algebra, denoted as gl(n). It is also a subalgebra of the complex special linear Lie algebra, denoted as sl(n). Additionally, the so(n) Lie algebra is isomorphic to the Lie algebra of the special orthogonal group SO(n) and the Lie algebra of the special unitary group SU(n).

3. What are the defining properties of the so(n) Lie algebra?

The defining properties of the so(n) Lie algebra are skew-symmetry, linearity, and the Jacobi identity. Skew-symmetry means that for any two matrices A and B in the algebra, the transpose of A is equal to the negative of B. Linearity means that the algebra is closed under matrix addition and scalar multiplication. The Jacobi identity is a condition that ensures the algebra is a valid Lie algebra, and it states that for any three matrices A, B, and C in the algebra, the commutator of A and the commutator of B and C must be equal.

4. How is the so(n) Lie algebra used in physics?

The so(n) Lie algebra is commonly used in physics, particularly in the study of symmetries and conservation laws. It is also used in the theory of Lie groups to describe the rotational symmetries of physical systems. In quantum mechanics, the algebra is used to construct representations of the rotation group and to study the properties of angular momentum.

5. Can the properties of the so(n) Lie algebra be extended to other types of matrices?

Yes, the properties of the so(n) Lie algebra can be extended to other types of matrices, such as complex matrices and quaternions. In these cases, the algebra is known as the so(n,C) Lie algebra and the so(n,H) Lie algebra, respectively. These extensions are useful in applications where complex or quaternionic numbers are needed, such as in quantum mechanics or in computer graphics.