Properties of Galois Extensions

• Thread starter jk1100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
Your name]In summary, to show that f(x) factors into a product of linear factors in K[x], we can use the fact that K is the splitting field for some polynomial p(x) in F[x], and that any F-automorphism of K will map roots of f(x) to other roots of f(x). This means that all the roots of f(x) are in K, and since f(x) is irreducible, it must have a root in K. Therefore, f(x) can be factored into linear factors in K[x].
jk1100

Homework Statement

Suppose F -- K is a Galois extension and f(x) in F[x] is an irreducible
polynomial that has a root in K. Show that f(x) factors into a product
of linear factors in K[x].

Homework Equations

I read on Wolfram this fact is equivalent to being a Galois extension, but I am drawing a complete blank on how to show that.

The Attempt at a Solution

Idea 1:
I know that if K is an extension of F and f(x) is a polynomial with coefficients in F that any F-automorphism of K will map roots on f(x) to another roots of f(x). Now I know at least one root of f(x) is in K; so the image of that root under any F-automorphism will also be in K and will also be a root of f(x)

Idea 2:
I also know I can build a tower of fields by adjoining the element a st f(a)=0 to obtain
F -- F(a) -- K
Because the root a must be in K so that field F(a) must sit between F and K. Since F -- K is a Galois extension and F(a) is an intermediate field I know F(a) -- K must be a Galois extension as well

Idea 3:
I also know since K is an extension of F and it is Galois that then it is the splitting field for some polynomial in F[x].

I just need some way to bring these ideas together (or take one all the way). I feel like I am half way there in bunch a different ways, but I am just blanking of finishing the proof.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your ideas are on the right track, but let me offer a more complete solution for you.

First, we know that since F -- K is a Galois extension, then K is the splitting field for some polynomial p(x) in F[x]. This means that all the roots of p(x) are in K.

Now, since f(x) is irreducible and has a root in K, then we know that f(x) must divide p(x) in F[x]. This is because if p(x) factors into two polynomials, one of which is f(x), then f(x) must have a root in K.

Next, we will use the fact that any F-automorphism of K will map roots of f(x) to other roots of f(x). Since K is the splitting field for p(x), any F-automorphism of K will map roots of p(x) to other roots of p(x). But since f(x) divides p(x), then any F-automorphism of K will map roots of f(x) to other roots of f(x). This means that all the roots of f(x) are in K, and since f(x) is irreducible, it must have a root in K.

Finally, since all the roots of f(x) are in K, then f(x) must factor into a product of linear factors in K[x]. This is because if f(x) has a root a in K, then we can write f(x) = (x-a)g(x), where g(x) is a polynomial in K[x]. We can continue this process until we have factored f(x) completely into linear factors in K[x].

I hope this helps clarify the proof for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Properties of Galois Extensions

1. What are Galois extensions?

Galois extensions are field extensions where the base field and the extended field have a specific relationship, known as a Galois group. This group is responsible for preserving the algebraic structure of the base field in the extended field.

2. What are some properties of Galois extensions?

Some properties of Galois extensions include the fact that they are normal extensions, meaning they contain all the roots of a polynomial in the base field, and they are separable extensions, meaning all the roots of the polynomial are distinct.

3. How do Galois extensions relate to Galois theory?

Galois extensions are the basis of Galois theory, which is a branch of abstract algebra that studies the structure and behavior of field extensions, particularly those related to the roots of polynomials. Galois theory helps to understand the relationship between the base field and the extended field in Galois extensions.

4. Can Galois extensions be used to solve polynomial equations?

Yes, Galois extensions can be used to solve polynomial equations using the fundamental theorem of Galois theory, which states that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the subgroups of the Galois group and the intermediate fields of the extension. This allows for the roots of a polynomial to be expressed in terms of the Galois group and its subgroups.

5. What are some applications of Galois extensions?

Galois extensions have several applications in various fields, including cryptography, coding theory, and algebraic geometry. They are also used to study fundamental questions in mathematics, such as the solvability of polynomial equations and the structure of finite fields.