Prop 11.3.5-4: Peter's Help with Garling's The Annihilator of a Set

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: I need to research second annihilators a bit more, but I think the proof is sound. Thanks for catching that!
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading D. J. H. Garling's book: "A Course in Mathematical Analysis: Volume II: Metric and Topological Spaces, Functions of a Vector Variable" ... ...

I am focused on Chapter 11: Metric Spaces and Normed Spaces ... ...

I need some help in order to formulate a proof of Proposition 11.3.5 - 4 ...

Garling's statement and proof of Proposition 11.3.5 reads as follows:
View attachment 8964Can someone please help me formulate a formal and rigorous proof that \(\displaystyle A \subseteq A^{ \bot \bot }\) ... ... ?Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Garling - Proposition 11.3.5 ... Annihilator ... .,.png
    Garling - Proposition 11.3.5 ... Annihilator ... .,.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 65
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading D. J. H. Garling's book: "A Course in Mathematical Analysis: Volume II: Metric and Topological Spaces, Functions of a Vector Variable" ... ...

I am focused on Chapter 11: Metric Spaces and Normed Spaces ... ...

I need some help in order to formulate a proof of Proposition 11.3.5 - 4 ...

Garling's statement and proof of Proposition 11.3.5 reads as follows:
Can someone please help me formulate a formal and rigorous proof that \(\displaystyle A \subseteq A^{ \bot \bot }\) ... ... ?Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

I have been reflecting on my post above ...

I think I have a proof ... but not sure ... we proceed as follows ...We have \(\displaystyle A^{ \bot } = \{ x \in V \ : \ \langle a, x \rangle = 0\) for all \(\displaystyle a \in A \}\)

and

\(\displaystyle A^{ \bot \bot } = \{ y \in V \ : \ \langle b, y \rangle = 0\) for all \(\displaystyle b \in A^{ \bot } \}\)Now ... ... let \(\displaystyle u \in A\) ...

then \(\displaystyle u \in A^{ \bot \bot }\) if \(\displaystyle \langle b, u \rangle = 0 \ \forall \ b \in A^{ \bot }\)But \(\displaystyle b \in A^{ \bot } \Longrightarrow \langle a, b \rangle = 0 \ \forall \ a \in A\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow \langle u, b \rangle = 0\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow \overline{ \langle b, u \rangle} = 0\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow \langle b, u \rangle = 0\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow u \in A^{ \bot \bot }\)... so that \(\displaystyle u \in A \Longrightarrow u \in A^{ \bot \bot }\)

Hence \(\displaystyle A \subseteq A^{ \bot \bot }\)
Can someone please confirm that the above proof is correct and/or point out errors and give a correct version of the proof ...

Peter

Yes, that's completely correct. When dealing with annihilators and second annihilators, you need to get used to the fact that $\langle x,y\rangle = 0 \Longleftrightarrow \langle y,x\rangle = 0$.

Hi Peter.

Yep, the proof looks correct to me. (Yes)

1. What is Prop 11.3.5-4?

Prop 11.3.5-4 refers to a specific proposition or statement in mathematics, specifically in the field of set theory. It is a part of a larger body of work known as Garling's The Annihilator of a Set.

2. Who is Peter and why is he mentioned in the title?

Peter is likely a mathematician who has contributed to the development of this proposition or has provided help in understanding it. He is mentioned in the title to give credit to his contributions and to indicate that this proposition is not solely the work of Garling.

3. What is the significance of the "Annihilator of a Set" in this proposition?

The "Annihilator of a Set" refers to a specific concept in set theory where a set is "annihilated" or made to equal the empty set when it is multiplied by another set. This concept is important in understanding the properties and relationships of different sets.

4. How does this proposition relate to other concepts in mathematics?

Prop 11.3.5-4 is a part of a larger body of work in set theory, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of sets. It may also have connections to other areas of mathematics such as algebra, topology, and analysis.

5. What are some potential applications of this proposition?

This proposition may have applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering where the manipulation and analysis of sets is important. It may also have implications for understanding and solving more complex mathematical problems.